[UNSOLVED again!] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

[UNSOLVED again!] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by br1anstorm » Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 am

I recently upgraded my laptop from Mint 17.3 to Mint 19.1. It all seemed to be working well..... except....I can't get Simple Scan to work.

I have a Canon MP560 printer/scanner networked via my router, using a wifi connection (not a USB cable). With Mint 17.3, I was able to add the MP560 printer using CUPS, and the system could see and operate both the printer and the scanner. I don't recall having to take any additional steps to set up, access and operate the scanning facility: once the MP560 was switched on, Simple Scan simply found and operated it.

After installing Mint 19.1, I set up the printer connection again, using CUPS and the same wifi network connection. The printer works absolutely perfectly. But Simple Scan now cannot see and connect to the MP560 scanner facility. It says "No scanners available. Please connect a scanner". How can I get it to do so?
Last edited by br1anstorm on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by redx87 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:44 am

I'm running Linux Mint 19.01 on a desktop pc and have a Canon MP560. Like you I could print ok via wifi but couldn't get the scanner recognised . I never found out what was causing the wifi issue, so in the end I gave up and used the old fashioned method by just connecting the printer via usb cable straight to the computer. Printer and scanner both work fine now.

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Wed May 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks redx87. It seems that we are not the only people finding scanning problems with Mint 19.1, and it's not unique to Canon printers/scanners. I have just seen separate and earlier threads in this sub-forum about Simple Scan not working under 19.1 with HP, Samsung and Epson machines.

Unfortunately changing over to a USB cable connection is not an option for me. As I understand the Canon setup process, it has to be either USB or wifi, not both at the same time. My Canon MP560 is networked by wifi because it is used by several different computers in the household - some of which have various other operating systems - PCLinuxOS, Mint 18.3 and Windows 7. Needless to say, the wifi connection to the Canon printer and scanner works fine with all these other computers. I am disinclined to wreck all of that simply because Mint 19.1 won't play nicely.

Hence my hope that someone can advise how to make Mint 19.x, Simple Scan, and my Canon MP560 work normally and properly using a wifi connection.
Last edited by br1anstorm on Wed May 22, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Wed May 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Aha - I have just proved the value of searching and browsing the Mint forums...... and found the solution to my own problem.

I post it up now for the information of others who might benefit, and because it will perhaps avoid the need to mess about with other software and drivers, or to blame Mint 19.1 (as I was inclined to do!)

My wifi-connected scanner couldn't be found by Simple Scan because the firewall (ufw) was on, and preventing it! I switched off ufw, and the scanner can now be seen and operated as normal.

The explanation is that when I had Mint 17.3 on this computer, I did not have ufw activated. When I installed 19.1, I took note of the recommended settings (backups, updates..... and firewall) and switched ufw on. That's what blocked access to the scanner.

I suppose it might be possible to tweak the ufw settings to permit access to and from the scanner while still having firewall protection on other access points (ports?). If anyone can advise on how to do that, I might try it. Meanwhile I shall leave the ufw switched off, as my router has a firewall anyway.

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redx87 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:25 am

br1anstorm wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:43 pm

I suppose it might be possible to tweak the ufw settings to permit access to and from the scanner while still having firewall protection on other access points (ports?). If anyone can advise on how to do that, I might try it. Meanwhile I shall leave the ufw switched off, as my router has a firewall anyway.
Nice going br1anstorm, I disabled my firewall and got the same positive result as you. Simplescan now sees my scanner via wifi. I think we need to add a rule in the firewall to allow the scanner but I don't know how to word such a rule. Hopefully someone might be able to tell us.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Thu May 23, 2019 11:22 am

redx87 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:25 am

Nice going br1anstorm, I disabled my firewall and got the same positive result as you. Simplescan now sees my scanner via wifi. .....
Thanks for sharing your discovery.
You're very welcome. It's nice when the simple solution turns out to be the right one!

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED - it was the firewall!] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by redx87 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:59 am

My canon mp560 has a static ip address and I was advised to try the following command to add it to the firewall rules -

sudo ufw allow from <ip address>

I got a return message in Terminal saying "ufw rules updated", so I think it was successfully entered somewhere, but the new rule didn't show up in the firewall gui.

However, when I re-enabled the firewall it still couldn't find the scanner. So that approach to the problem didn't work at all.

My home network is controlled by a TP-Link Archer VR600 router, and during a discussion I had on this topic on another forum I was told that because I have a reliable router it wasn't necessary to enable the Linux firewall as well. My router has an SPI firewall enabled by default, and most of the comments I got said it would do the job and there was no point running two firewalls. So, I'll leave my Linux firewall off

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED - it was the firewall!] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by br1anstorm » Sun May 26, 2019 9:27 am

For much the same reason (my router has a firewall) I, too, had decided to leave ufw disabled in order to allow connection with the scanner component of my Canon MP560.

My Canon printer/scanner also has a fixed IP address. So just as an experiment I thought I'd try the same route as redx87 to create a rule to allow access to/from that specific IP address.

I used the same command in the terminal, then re-enabled ufw, and tried SimpleScan. In my case, it worked......! SimpleScan is now able to "see" and use the scanner with ufw activated.

In the GUI of my ufw, a rule is now listed: it says "Anywhere ALLOW IN 192.168.0.[x]" (it has the exact IP address, I have just put an x for the final digit in this public post).

I don't know why this approach didn't work for redx87. I pass this on just to show that it does seem to be possible to tweak the settings in the ufw to allow connection with the scanner.

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redx87 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Thanks for that interesting post br1anstorm,

I think the reason for it not working for me, and the rule not showing in the gui is that I probably used the wrong ip address. I must have used the address of some other device on my home network. I find all this network stuff confusing and probably haven't set things up properly. This would explain why there are a few "unknown device" listings in my router. I'll have another go at it tomorrow night.

Thanks for posting your results though, it shows that there is a way around this issue after all.

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redx87 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Finally, I found the correct ip address for my printer and added it to the ufw rules. Simplescan now sees my scanner.

Cheers to all.

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [UNSOLVED] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by br1anstorm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Oh dear.... a month down the track, and I now have to mark this thread UNSOLVED and reopen the discussion.

The "solution" described in earlier posts worked for me - until now. Suddenly and inexplicably, Simple Scan can't find or see the scanner component within my Canon MP560 (though the printer still works fine). The MP 560 itself shows that it has a good wifi connection.

Once again I'm getting the message in Simple Scan: "Failed to scan. No scanners available. Please connect a scanner".

Just to recap: I'm running Mint 19.1. My Canon MP560 is connected wirelessly via my router. It has a fixed IP address. I created a rule in the UFW firewall to allow this IP address (as described in earlier posts).

I have made no changes to my setup other than to run updates (which have included newer kernels, if that is relevant).

The rule is still showing in UFW. I have tried to do a scan with UFW active, and i have also tried with UFW disabled. In neither case does Simple Scan see my scanner.

EDIT AND UPDATE: Just tried to do the scan using Simple Scan in PCLinuxOS which is dual booted on the same machine and so uses the same wifi connection to the printer/scanner. It worked fine. Then - having closed down and rebooted back into Mint - I tried Simple Scan again. This time it saw the scanner and worked......with UFW active and the rule on allowing access in place.

So what's the problem? Sometimes an intermittent or sporadic problem is more troublesome than an outright non-function. Is this one of those peculiar and inexplicable things that is solved by switching off, waiting, and switching on again?

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [UNSOLVED again!] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by redx87 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:20 am

This is no help and is not going to make you feel any better, but my mp560 scanner has had no issues, like your having, since I set the rule for it in the firewall.

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Probably SOLVED - again!] Canon MP560 scanner - worked with 17.3, not with 19.x

Post by br1anstorm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Well, it looks as if the problem I've just had may have been a temporary glitch. The cause is still a mystery. I wondered if it might have been a consequence of a kernel upgrade, but that seems not to be the case. Whatever the problem was, it seems to have cured itself.

.... at least until the next time! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”