brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Corrupt file when printing only to HP MFP M477fdw

Post by brian_p » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm

FrankB616 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:23 am

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... g_Function

OK, though I am a Linux user for close to 20 years, I have admittedly fallen way behind the curve in recent years. This is the first I have heard of driverless printing.
New in Mint 19. It's the future and is here now. CUPS will cease to support printing with PPDs in the near future. :)
I followed the link you gave me, and even went into the link at the top of that page giving an overview of driverless printing. Very intriguing! I followed a lot of it, but my head began to spin as I got further into it. I get the idea, however, and I see many advantages.
The purpose of the link is to provide a comfortable and easy driverless printing setup to experienced and inexperienced users alike. I ask you - is removing one # on a line of a configuration file so difficult? cups-browsed is installed by default on a Mint system.

If a user wants to control the setup instead, it is just as easy:

Code: Select all

driverless
gives the URI.

lpadmin -v URI -E -m everywhere
sets up the print queue.
The only scanning I do with this machine is done with Vuescan, a commercial cross-platform product that has its own drivers. Vuescan works with the MFP M477fdw scanner just fine as it sits at the moment.
Fine. That's scanning sorted.
So, something now occurs to me: Is the required plugin for the MFP M477fdw ONLY for the scanner?
Yes:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html
If so, then I should be able to print to the MFP M477fdw using HPLIP right now with no issues -- plugin installed or not. And if that is the case, then I am back to square one as the printer does not work reliably with HPLIP.

I now have to decide whether to try driverless printing, or find a way to use the ghostscript driver as I had originally been asking about -- if that is even still possible. Sometimes old technology still gets the job done.
By this time you would have had driverless printing working for you.

If you really, really, really need to use drivers, please read

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=296287

The only difference in the technique is that you have a network URI.
--
Brian.

FrankB616
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FrankB616 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:57 pm

So, if I don't need scanning support, I don't need the plugin, right? Therefore, installing the plugin is not going to solve anything with regard to the printing issues I am having, right?

So, I started this thread looking for a way to install / use the ghostscript driver as opposed to HPLIP. Is there any way to do that, or is all of that deprecated now?

Thanks.

Frank.

FrankB616
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FrankB616 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:12 pm

brian_p wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm
FrankB616 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:23 am

https://wiki.debian.org/QuickPrintQueue ... g_Function

The purpose of the link is to provide a comfortable and easy driverless printing setup to experienced and inexperienced users alike. I ask you - is removing one # on a line of a configuration file so difficult? cups-browsed is installed by default on a Mint system.

If a user wants to control the setup instead, it is just as easy:

driverless
gives the URI.

lpadmin -v URI -E -m everywhere
sets up the print queue.
No, it is easy when you understand. I am still grappling with the understanding part, so please bear with me.

frank@guest:~$ driverless
ipp://BRN30055C3DE2AE.local:631/ipp/print
ipp://NPI033D99.local:631/ipp/print
frank@guest:~$ 
I have three printers on my network. I am guessing that the top line is my Brother color laser, and the lower line is the HP. My much older HP LJ4100 b/w printer does not show up at all, so it is probably not equipped to work with the new CUPS driverless methodology.

So, now I run the following code, correct?

lpadmin -v ipp://NPI033D99.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
Then what?

I haven't run that last line of code yet as I would like to know what to expect first.

Thanks.

Frank.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:57 pm

FrankB616 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:12 pm

So, now I run the following code, correct?

lpadmin -v ipp://NPI033D99.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
A correction. Add the name of the destination:

lpadmin -p m477 -v ipp://NPI033D99.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
Then what?
Print.
I haven't run that last line of code yet as I would like to know what to expect first.
https://manpages.debian.org/man/lpadmin
https://wiki.debian.org/DriverlessPrinting#lpadmin
--
Brian.

FrankB616
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FrankB616 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Brian:

From the link:
Creating a Driverless Print Queue with lpadmin
Some familiarity with a device-uri is assumed in this section.
It is that familiarity that I lack. Thanks for your help. I have always had trouble reading man pages where syntax is shown. I am well into my sixties, self-taught, never haven taken a formal course in Linux. That I have been able to actually USE Linux all these years is a tribute to patient people like yourself.

What I still don't understand at this point is where the m477 came from in the code line you gave me:

I understand that it is the print queue name, but where did THAT name come from?

I did open CUPS 2.2.7 at localhost:631, and the ipp address is indeed for the HP printer. The lpadmin utility I am totally unfamiliar with.

Thanks again.

Frank.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:25 pm

FrankB616 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:16 pm

What I still don't understand at this point is where the m477 came from in the code line you gave me:

I understand that it is the print queue name, but where did THAT name come from?
I made it up. It can be anything you like which makes sense to you.
I did open CUPS 2.2.7 at localhost:631, and the ipp address is indeed for the HP printer. The lpadmin utility I am totally unfamiliar with.
You can set up the queue from localhost:631. Choose the driverless "driver". "everywhere" is not available in that version of the CUPS web interface.
--
Brian.

FrankB616
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Re: Corrupt file when printing only to HP MFP M477fdw

Post by FrankB616 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Brian:

OK, just printed a 32 page colour double-sided document, and it appears to have worked quite well. m77 appeared as just another printer in LO, so I chose it, and all worked as advertised.

Thank you for introducing me to this new way of doing things in Linux. I will now take copious notes that _I_ can understand, rather than trying to decipher the man pages.. :-)

Thanks again.

Frank.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”