Before you post please read this
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Canon-HP-Brother-?? Which one?? SOLVED with HP

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:18 am

Here is something that I found about HP printers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i1JkQJRhBM
I would like them to publish this kind of information in their support literature/ forums. From the comments on this You Tube video, it seems like they don't.
So, pre-purchase view the support material so see if it's comprehensive or whether a good bit of support is behind paywalls.
Too many of the responses I have read on the HP forums are something along the lines of "we will private message you with some information, which then leads to them telling you something along the lines of you need to contact support. I have called support & they quote me a high price to where it's not worth it for me (I got the printer at a pretty good price of only around $60).

HP ink levels would not show often with aftermarket ink for my HP Officejet pro 8610.

I don't like HPLIP software when scanning. [Document] scans are either huge or look terrible with my HP Officejet pro 8610. Edit: I found that using the web-based software can produce good scans, without crazy large file sizes.

Also, how long does HP give security updates for the printer firmware? Are they on top of printers that are supported? That seems to be something worth considering.

"HP model X just works" should not carry a huge amount of weight. As a community, there should be many many other printers that are confirmed to work well.

One kind of positive thing that I read about in the Wikipedia article is
"Many of these for low-end models are free and open-source (FOSS), licensed under MIT, BSD, and GPL licenses, but others (including all color laser MFC printers on the market for years) require proprietary binary blobs ("plug-ins")."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linux_ ... d_Printing

Edit: forgot to mention that my printer would not print when the printer claimed that one of the colors was empty even when I wanted to print black and white only.

Edit2: If buying an all-in-one, watch out for is the automatic document feeder (used for scanning). Test it, making sure that when you scan a document, the scan turns out 99-100% straight.. Mine might have never scanned straight but I brushed off the problem thinking user error/ typical of scanners/ scanner is not that expensive. This, however, is a manufacturing defect and take action on it ASAP.
Last edited by Netherprovinc3 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:32 am

Edit: forgot to mention that my printer would not print when the printer claimed that one of the colors was empty even when I wanted to print black and white only.
I have always had that particular issue with Epson's printers. Not sure about HP, but I guess I am going to find out!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am

what happens if you remove the color cartridge so it's not getting the out of ink message from it, and just run the black cartridge?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Canon-HP-Brother-?? Which one??

Post by JerryF » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:30 pm
There was something really wrong with support for NEW Brother printers, so I have read.
For my experience, I disagree. Brother's website gives very detailed instructions on how to install a printer. My Brother, MFC-J5830DW works like a charm!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:55 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am
what happens if you remove the color cartridge so it's not getting the out of ink message from it, and just run the black cartridge?
Great tip Spearmint. I have done that recently myself, when I encountered an empty color inkcartridge warning and there were no longer errors flashing after I removed the empty cartridge.

HP works out of the box. One doesnt even need all the additional software Linux offers for HP, although if one likes to have extra options it can come in handy. Of course it would be nice if other printers got better support as well, but that is not Linux' fault, but the manufacturers.

JerryF, I have recently read that things will pretty soon get worse for people who buy a brand new Brother printer. Enjoy your working Brother printer as long as it lasts, the new models will be infamous for not working well with Linux, unless the programmers find an ingenious workaround.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 am

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:55 am
HP works out of the box. One doesnt even need all the additional software Linux offers for HP, although if one likes to have extra options it can come in handy. Of course it would be nice if other printers got better support as well, but that is not Linux' fault, but the manufacturers.
It would be highly unusual for any modern printer not to offer an AirPrint facility. The Mint printing system makes use of this to support printer models from all vendors.
JerryF, I have recently read that things will pretty soon get worse for people who buy a brand new Brother printer. Enjoy your working Brother printer as long as it lasts, the new models will be infamous for not working well with Linux, unless the programmers find an ingenious workaround.
Actually, all new Brother models are Airprint-enabled. They should (barring firmware bugs) work OOTB.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”