configuring HP photosmart C4740 for Linux Mint 19.2 laptop computer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

configuring HP photosmart C4740 for Linux Mint 19.2 laptop computer

Post by wpshooter »

Am trying to get HP photosmart model C4740 to configure on Linux Mint 19.2 mate laptop on a wireless basis.

So far can not get it to install - not detecting or recognizing it. Have not yet tried with USB cable, would really prefer it to be wireless.

Any suggestions ? More info if needed.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: configuring HP photosmart C4740 for Linux Mint 19.2 laptop computer

Post by brian_p »

wpshooter wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:21 pm Am trying to get HP photosmart model C4740 to configure on Linux Mint 19.2 mate laptop on a wireless basis.

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
will give you a URI for the device, but I expect you can use

socket://<IP_address_of_device>:9100

lpinfo -m | grep -i c4700
will give you a PPD. Then

lpadmin -p c4700 -v <URI> -E -m <PPD>
Without the angle brackets.
--
Brian.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Brian, thanks for the info. But shouldn't this printer be auto-detected and configured by the OS ? I believe that it is listed as supported on HPLIP.

P.S. - I just hooked it up to my own (not the client's laptop) laptop via USB cable and it is just about a one click deal and it is working. Shouldn't it communicate and be configured via wireless just as simply ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

wpshooter wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 pm Brian, thanks for the info. But shouldn't this printer be auto-detected and configured by the OS ? I believe that it is listed as supported on HPLIP.

P.S. - I just hooked it up to my own (not the client's laptop) laptop via USB cable and it is just about a one click deal and it is working. Shouldn't it communicate and be configured via wireless just as simply ?

Thanks.
Probably. But I, personally, am not prepared to debug your system or HPLIP software , which essentially uses the same technique I have described. Either you want a working printing system or not.
--
Brian.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Will try some of that tomorrow but for now
when I run the HP Wireless Network Test Report from the hardware of the
printer, the printed report says the following: Your HP printer cannot find your
wireless router, however I know that it is on because I can see the wireless light
on the router and also the laptop is being connected to the Internet via the wireless,
i.e. no ethernet cable is attached.

On that same printout of the HP Wireless Network Test Report under the
Diagnostics Summary section on the line labeled as Network Name (SSID) FOUND, its
status is shown as FAIL.

So, I am almost wondering if something is actually DEFECTIVE in the printers wireless
hardware (or firmware) because seems to me that the router is doing its job because it
is allowing the laptop access wirelessly to the Internet thru its valid SSID, so if the printer
does not have some defect, why is it that it can not find that same broadcast of the router
SSID as the laptop ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Do you have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi signals turned on? That printer may only connect to 2.4Ghz wifi. Check in your router, turn off the 5GHz and see if that helps. Also, use the WPS button on newer routers, and then see if the printer can connect to it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Spearmint2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:44 am Do you have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi signals turned on? That printer may only connect to 2.4Ghz wifi. Check in your router, turn off the 5GHz and see if that helps. Also, use the WPS button on newer routers, and then see if the printer can connect to it.
There is no such parameter/setting in the router interface. Also, tried the WPS button on the top of the router, does nothing.

Looks like the user of this printer is going to have to be happy connecting via USB cable. Which is what me personally would choose over
wireless 7 days per week.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I have an HP Photosmart 4700 printer. What I did was open Package Manager, searched HPLIP, and added all of what it gave. I did get mine set up for router, then gave it a static IP address. Had no problems with it since. Even can get reported ink levels.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

wpshooter wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Looks like the user of this printer is going to have to be happy connecting via USB cable. Which is what me personally would choose over wireless 7 days per week.
You originally said:
Have not yet tried with USB cable, would really prefer it to be wireless.
and gave the impression that you had dealt with setting up a wireless connection to start with. It turns out that you had not and, furthermore, are unable to setup wireless from the printer's control panel or in any other way.

I suggest you install hplip-gui and execute

hp-wificonfig
Success?
--
Brian.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 am I have an HP Photosmart 4700 printer. What I did was open Package Manager, searched HPLIP, and added all of what it gave. I did get mine set up for router, then gave it a static IP address. Had no problems with it since. Even can get reported ink levels.
I searched and there are only 2 additional items which are not installed, i.e. gui and doc. Do you think these are what is lacking in this case ?

Think I will test on my own personal laptop to check.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 am I have an HP Photosmart 4700 printer. What I did was open Package Manager, searched HPLIP, and added all of what it gave. I did get mine set up for router, then gave it a static IP address. Had no problems with it since. Even can get reported ink levels.
What was purpose of giving it static IP address ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

wpshooter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 am
What was purpose of giving it static IP address ?

Thanks.
So it would stay there, not need to do DHCP again, and so I'd know where it was or supposed to be if I needed to use the IP address to make connection. It's up to you.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

brian_p wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:29 am
wpshooter wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Looks like the user of this printer is going to have to be happy connecting via USB cable. Which is what me personally would choose over wireless 7 days per week.
You originally said:
Have not yet tried with USB cable, would really prefer it to be wireless.
and gave the impression that you had dealt with setting up a wireless connection to start with. It turns out that you had not and, furthermore, are unable to setup wireless from the printer's control panel or in any other way.

I suggest you install hplip-gui and execute

hp-wificonfig
Success?
I just tried hp-wificonfig this morning and everything goes along great (prints test page fine) UNTIL I am prompted to unplug the USB cable then from that point forward will NOT print anything. I am really to the point of thinking that there is some hardware or firmware problem with this printer. So my question is it possible for some defect in the printer to be problematic to the wireless operation but yet not the USB operation, from this experience it would SEEM so.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Isn't there a button to push on front of printer where you can set up the wireless? It could be as easy as choosing the WPS or automatic setup, after also pushing the WPS on the router.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 am Isn't there a button to push on front of printer where you can set up the wireless? It could be as easy as choosing the WPS or automatic setup, after also pushing the WPS on the router.
As I said previously, already tried that - did nothing, i.e. did not work.

But thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

So my question is it possible for some defect in the printer to be problematic to the wireless operation but yet not the USB operation, from this experience it would SEEM so.
Does the printer show it has working wifi? Anything seen on the router at all about the printer, or attempted connection? Does the printer show it tried to connect to your SSID? It's possible the wifi on the printer isn't working at all.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

per my 10/10/2019 - 8:19 pm posting:

Find attached a copy of the HP Photosmart C4700 Wireless Network Test Report - notice the areas that I have circled.

This is indicating that the printer seems to wants to DICTATE that the router SSID must match and be equal to the printer SSID as shown at the bottom of the report - which really does not make any sense to me but I tried it anyway and indeed when I changed the router id to that SigmaplusEOL1 and ran the report again, it got rid of the FAIL status of the Network Name SSID found listing BUT then on the next printing of this report it failed the PRINTER SETTINGS CONSISTENT WITH WIRELESS ROUTER SETTING listing. And having no idea as to what router settings that might be referring to, I stopped these efforts.

All of this seems very strange to me and sort of leads me to think that there is something broken in this printer OR it is just not compatible
with my Verizon router !!!

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the report is too large to attach.
Last edited by wpshooter on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Wpshooter, is your version of HPLIP new enough for your printer? Look here
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index
to find your printer and see what HPLIP you need, and whether you need a plugin.
Cliff Coggin
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:06 am Wpshooter, is your version of HPLIP new enough for your printer? Look here
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index
to find your printer and see what HPLIP you need, and whether you need a plugin.
Cliff:

The hplip version that is installed by Linux Mint Mate 19.2 is 3.17.10, so since this printer was
built in the early 2000's my guess is that the hplip version should be more than sufficient. But having
said that I have never understood how it is that a person is supposed to find a particular printer on
that listing unless it is by just pure luck since there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to how those
printer models are listed - that is another one of my projects is to suggest to whoever is in charge of
that listing that they put it in some type of order. And yes I have looked down thru the listing and have
not spotted the HP photosmart c4740 but have seen some close to it.

I did some further searching of the website and there are some other functions which allows you to narrow it
down. The needed version for the C4740 is 3.9.8. So that is not the problem. However, there is a footnote
that says: Not all network configurations are supported, so am just wondering if this may be a conflict between
my Verizon router which may or may not manifest itself with other brands and models of routers.

Thanks.
Last edited by wpshooter on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Have a HP Inkjet H470 that I have yet to try and configure on my LM XFCE v19.2 (64 bit) computers.
I'm looking at (and will be happy with) a USB cable connection as the printer isn't hardwired for Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
Don't know whether the installation will happen spontaneously (plug & play) like it did on my Windows 10 computers or whether I'll have to DO STUFF. :?:
I connected the H470 to my Windows 10 computers and 2 minutes later I was printing ... no driver hunt, download or install. :mrgreen:
{the Linux HPLIP utility wouldn't even install}
Hope the Linux experience will be equally painless.
Crossed finger. :mrgreen:

Return to “Printers & Scanners”