How to configure scanner?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
AndrzejB
Level 1
Level 1

How to configure scanner?

Post by AndrzejB »

I install scanner for Brother DCP-J315W. Is any else application other than "simple scan".
Sinplke scan works but is set to maximal resulution and is very slow. In Windows I prevously has default resulution 300 dpi but for most documents is enough 150 dpi. But here is more than 300 dpi? How to change and if is more sophisticated applications for scan?
-
is possible change DPI to 150 and is faster, I don't know why 300 dpi was so slow.
This appliacation make pdf, how make jpg?
Last edited by AndrzejB on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to configure scanner?

Post by HAWR »

Hello AndrzejB,

I don't know exactly, what you mean, that the can get only the maximum resolution in Simple Scan. In the settings the range begins at 75 dpi for text documents. But you could download Xsane via the software manager. It is more extensive and offers more setting options.

AndrzejB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndrzejB »

App xsane is OK. Printer+scanner only kept me from switching to Linux. Now I have Linux in main machine, not only in Virtualbox!

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

You might want to look into VueScan. It's a bit pricey but, if you get the lifetime license, it's a onetime expense. I believe you can try before you buy.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

Simple Scan gives you the option to raise or lower the resolution. Mine is set as 300dpi default for images and 150dpi for text. I can go up to 2400 or down to 75 dpi in preferences.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

Simplescan does not match the range of resolutions from my scanner. I do not know if the list is locked into Simplescan or if it adjusts per scanner. The list is the same for text and photos, 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, and 2400 dpi. The list is the same with or without a scanner attached.

Xsane and Vuescan both handle all the resolutions my scanner can produce. The do not display the options until they identify the scanner. If you want anything outside the hard coded Simplescan list, you need Xsane or Vuescan.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”