Problem printing some PDF-Files with brother HL-1110

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dauerchiller

Problem printing some PDF-Files with brother HL-1110

Post by dauerchiller »

Hey there,
Im not new to Linux Mint, but new to this forum. If I am missing some informations, that you need, or if I double an existing thread, I am sorry for this. I tried my best. I was searching in different directions and on different forums for days - without success.

my system is on 19,3 - Cinnamon - 64bit. I installed and reinstalled the offical-drivers (LPR-driver and CUPS-Driver). Everything is working since years. But now I realized, that Im not able to print some pdf-files, that I create on my own (Documents scanned with the tool "simple scan". I tried different PDF-Viewers. I am able to print the files only within the Firefox-Browser. In every other programm it doesn't work (Xreader, MuPDF, ...). It is also possible to print the files after converting them to an .jpeg-file.
I have the problem not only with pdf-files created by myself, there are also some other files, which I cannot print.
When I try to print, the status-Led turns from green to orange. Within the cups-printer-gui from cinnamon It doesn't show me an error, nor an pending printing process. After pressing the Power-button on the printer, everything is as it was before --> The LED turns into green and the printer is ready to print again (except the problem pdf files).
Is it a problem with the driver, the printer or the pdf-viewer?
What makes the "firefox print function" different from the print-option in Xreader?

Thank you
Manuel
Last edited by SMG on Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking 2-yr-old topic. OP is no longer a member and thus not still looking for a solution.
pcarbery
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem printing some PDF-Files with brother HL-1110

Post by pcarbery »

yea exact same problem...no solution yet though
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As a first measure, I would reinstall Ghostscript (with Synaptic) and also install Okular right away. And also do a reboot - there are apparently people who never do that...
Then create a Libre Office Writer document with text and graphic elements, save it and additionally export it as PDF.

Make test prints with LO Writer (the new ODT document) and with XReader and Okular (the new PDF document).
Using LO Draw, import (open) the newly created PDF and also make a print attempt.
Determine where the printer breaks down.

Then we can continue here...
kneops2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kneops2 »

I have the same problem with my Brother HL1110 printer. I installed Okular, created a new pdf with Libre Office and that pdf prints okay. Other pdf's I receive from others do or don't print with Okular. I guess it has something to do with the pdf version
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I can only explain how I got my ancient Xerox-Phaser Postscript laser printer to work - you have to test whether this also works with the Brother laser printers: the procedure is very simple, however.

My Phaser 6200DP was recognized by Mint 20.0 as soon as it was connected and a printer driver from the CUPS source was installed, unfortunately a fairly generic one. This means lousy print quality and all advanced color and quality settings were simply not available.

I downloaded the Linux installation packages (2009) from Xerox, extracted all of them and looked for folders with PPD files.
In the end, there were four to choose from: xr_p6200.ppd and xrx6200dp.ppd, xrx6200dx.ppd, xrx6200n.ppd.
Since the xrx6200dp.ppd file describes the printer best, I used this file for the next steps.

First of all, a folder "Phaser 6200" was created in the home directory, with the relevant PPD file (xrx6200dp.ppd) as the only content.
Second, add a new printer in the printer utility and then when asked to select the printer driver, navigate to the newly created "Phaser 6200" folder and select the only PPD in it. That's it and it works with all available special functions and settings.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... dlang=true

For the Brother HL-1110 there is this compressed file > hl1110cupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386. Extracted and all folders open you will find the associated PPD file > brother-HL1110-cups-en.ppd.

As described above, you can create a new folder with only this PPD file and operate a newly created Brother printer with this PPD.

Of course, as always, there is no guarantee that this will work, but it's worth a try and it can be done without much effort.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

kneops2 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:58 am I have the same problem with my Brother HL1110 printer. I installed Okular, created a new pdf with Libre Office and that pdf prints okay. Other pdf's I receive from others do or don't print with Okular. I guess it has something to do with the pdf version
I suspect this has little - or nothing - to do with the printer used. Lousily created PDFs, with missing or poorly embedded fonts, are more likely to be the problem.
Of all the PDF applications available in the repositories, Okular is likely to be one of the best. If you select "Properties" in the menu, you will at least know which programs created the PDF and which fonts are embedded.
The last step then remains the installation of Master PDF Editor...

A workaround would be to import the faulty PDF into LO Draw or Scribus and export it again as a PDF under a new name.
kiers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kiers »

I have the same problem with Mint Una 20.3; Brother HL-2270DW.
pdfs created by simple-scan print blank. I have reinstalled mint clean after formatting the root partition, but this issue remains.
oatBlower9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oatBlower9 »

Same problem with a different printer, a Brother HL-L2320D. A passport fill-in pdf file printing would blink the activity LED on the printer, a pop-up would inform of a completed job, and then nothing. The default viewer zombies-out. I tried changing the permissions, but nada. If I opened using Okular, O.K. I got a hard copy I can mail to the State Department. It's not a printer problem per se; the drivers are "old" (2015). I suggest Document Viewer (ver 3.2.2) needs improvement. For now, a quick fix might be as suggested earlier and that worked for me; use Okular instead of the default Document Viewer.
Cheers.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”