Freshly installed Linux Mint Mate won't print[Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Freshly installed Linux Mint Mate won't print[Solved]

Post by Rusty Relic »

Computer; Dell Optiplex 380; Printer; HP Laser Jet Pro-M127fn. New out of package 1 TB hard drive, freshly installed Linux Mint 19.3 Mate 64 bit.

Here is the problem. When attempting to print the first time nothing happened. Then I found a window that said I had a network printer but it is directly connected so I changed the setting to localhost. When it was identified as a network printer it was correctly identified. After changing to localhost the computer no longer sees the printer. After running the printer troubleshooter program it generated a small text document; included in the document it stated that the printer needed a proprietary plugin. I have (somewhere) the original CD for connecting the printer on Windows and Mac. I tried using it to set up the printer on an earlier version of Linux and couldn’t make it work; bear in mind that I don’t have any knowledge of working with the terminal.

At this point I am wondering if I can reinstall the hard drive that has Windows 7 and try to set up a dual boot with the Mate program and then using the Win7 to run the printer and use the Mate operating system with Firefox browser to surf the internet. Before loading Linux Mint Mate the Dell Optiplex did all the printing I required transferring print jobs from the Linux 17.3 machine with a memory stick.
I have a Win 10 laptop which I can use in a pinch but I hate the thought of going to Win 10 so as to run the printer.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Rusty
Last edited by Rusty Relic on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llr51
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Freshly installed Linux Mint Mate won't print

Post by llr51 »

look at what CUPS sees to fix problem.
in a browser window and enter this without quotes "127.0.0.1:631" to enter CUPS and configure your printer correctly.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

I don't know if this is part of the problem, or if it would even help, but do you have hplip (HP Linux Printing and Imaging System) installed?

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Here is what I have done so far: Tried 127.0.0.1:631 , got “Unable to connect”. Next: opened Menu, then selected Control Panel then clicked on the printer icon. Small window opened labelled Printers-localhost; Half way down the window is message: Printing service not available. Start the service on this computer or connect to another server. Then click on “Connect”. Another little window opens labelled “Connect to cups server” Then I clicked on the connect button and another window opens labelled “CUPS server error” with a message “There was an error during the CUPS operation:’failed to connect to server’. All this happens with the printer connected to a USB port and switched on. I don’t know how to determine if the hplip driver is installed.

There are enough “features” in Mate that I don’t like that I may just turf Mate and install Cinnamon and see if it will run a printer. If that doesn’t work then I will hold my nose and install Win 10 unless someone knows of another flavour of Linux that reliably recognizes USB peripherals. I have already wasted a lot of time trying to solve this and don’t want to throw more time at it.

Thanks for trying to help. If Cinnamon 19.3 looks promising I will respond to this thread.

kayin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kayin »

Ditto for Rusty Relic's issues for me
on Linux Mint 19.3 cinnamon(or most recent version of Mint 19.)

Same issues.
I have a full set of guttenprint PPDs in the directory: /usr/share/ppd/ OpenPrinting-Gutenprint
another copy of the same PPD exists in: /usr/share/ppd
the PPD file for my printer is: HP_Color_LaserJet_CP2025dn_Generic.ppd

1. Using HPLIP in setup mode finds the PPD file:
2. then at step 3 of 3: it shows the above ppd file, but PPD file field it shows in yellow
(Not found. Click browse button to select a PPD file.)
3.I go to the above ppd file click and still the HPLIP setup fails.

So, same issues with cinnamon

B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

@Rusty Relic and @Kayin ... Following up on @Schultz, very often a PPD requires proprietary drivers in addition to achieve functioning/full functioning. Regarding the problem overall and the need for the proprietary plug-in specifically, have you searched one of the following:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing - HP's Developer Portal
developers.hp.com › hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
On this website you can download HPLIP software that supports a total of 3,025HP printer, scanner and fax devices on nearly any Linux distribution available ...
HP All-in-One Printers - Driver Support for Linux OS | HP ...
support.hp.com › us-en › document
For Linux downloads, HP recommends another website. If you need to download Linux drivers, you will be directed to a website that is outside HP Customer ...
I run 19.3 Mate and 19.3 Xfce on two PCs and, having tried Cinnamon, am sure you are going to need more than the PPD from HP whatever your Mint desktop.
Last edited by B2WJ on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

bear in mind that I don’t have any knowledge of working with the terminal.
Printer configuration is quite simple since at least Linux Mint 18.

Open a terminal by clicking on the terminal symbol in the task bar or press Alt+F2
Type in system-config-printer and press Enter

This will open a configuration utility that allows you to select printer drivers and otherwise configure your printer. You will select "Network Printer" and your HP will be identified. The utility is installed by default; otherwise, you need to install the package system-config-printer-gnome.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install system-config-printer-gnome
In Mate the utility is also available through System/Printers, but you can see what's actually going on with the terminal. Yet another option is navigating to http://localhost:631/. However, you will find the configuration utility easier to use. Although the utility will search for necessary HP drivers, chances are you will need to use the HP websites for Linux support to make certain you have all proprietary support. Be sure you're getting things marked specifically for your model showing support for Linux Mint, Debian, Ubuntu, and/or AMD64.
Last edited by B2WJ on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Rusty Relic wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 pm
There are enough “features” in Mate that I don’t like that I may just turf Mate and install Cinnamon and see if it will run a printer. If that doesn’t work then I will hold my nose and install Win 10 unless someone knows of another flavour of Linux that reliably recognizes USB peripherals. I have already wasted a lot of time trying to solve this and don’t want to throw more time at it.
Did you install hplip (it's in the repos) like I and another poster suggested? I have used nothing but Mate on my Linux installs and have never had a problem with my hp printer.

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

I didn’t check the thread to see if there were new posts and loaded Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. Same issue as Kayin, no printing. So I did some serious searching to attempt to learn how to install HPLIP; came up with this: https://www.fosslinux.com/1547/install- ... ary-os.htm
Tried to find if HPLIP was already installed using ‘ls’ in the terminal and it came back ‘no such file or directory’. So I followed the instructions in the link above and got to step 13 and system locked and would respond to the mouse movement occasionally but otherwise the hard drive was running 100% of the time. After more than one hour I pressed and held the start button on the computer until it shut off.
Pressing the start button again and the computer seemed to start and operate correctly, however there is now a message at the bottom right of the screen that reads ‘There is a missing print filter for printer HP laserjet PRO-M127.fn’.
I have come to the conclusion that this is a serious waste of my time and doesn’t warrant more time thrown at it. I already have upwards of 20 hours into research and installation troubleshooting.

Does someone have a foolproof way to install a dual boot setup using the previous hard drive which has Windows 7 on it so I can use Windows 7 to run the printer and Linux Mint to surf the web? If that doesn’t work then it’s off to Windows 10 which grabs my stomach just thinking about it.

Thanks for trying to help.

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Good morning. After I posted the previous findings the operating system was very slow to shut down so I restarted and shut down again and the same results so it appears that the operating system has been somewhat scrambled.
With regard to my comment about dual boot with Windows 7; is there someone that would care to write a tutorial for dual booting the 19 series operating system along side Windows?
Thanks
Edit:
With regard to using 'ls' to try and find HPLIP it is very possible that I wasn't in the correct directory since I don't understand terminal protocol. While it was trying to install HPLIP it stated that there was an older version and asked if I wanted to replace it with a newer version; that's when the system locked up.

brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

Let's forget about HPLIP, shall we? You are not getting anywhere with it and, in any case, it is not needed with your printer.

Put the MFD on the network and give us what you get for

driverless
--
Brian.

B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

Rusty Relic wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:40 am
... With regard to my comment about dual boot with Windows 7; is there someone that would care to write a tutorial for dual booting the 19 series operating system alongside Windows?
I hope you accept the help of @Brian_P who appears to know your specific HP printer -- I'm Epson -- and avoid messing with Windows 7 that is no longer supported as of January 2020. That said, your question about a dual-boot tutorial merits a reply because all Linux users should know how easy it is to dual-boot with Mint and related distributions. There are many text and video tutorials online. A particularly current Mint 19 series guide is https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/. It covers 19.2 but the process is identical to 19.3.
You already have more experience than you likely wanted installing Mint, :x, so when you install it on a Windows system Mint will automatically detect that and ask if you want a dual boot. It's so intuitive you arguably won't even need tutorials. The one exception is adjusting Hard Drive partitions. If you've never worked with partitions I suggest allowing Mint to make the adjustments automatically; if desired you can adjust partition sizes later when comfortable.
But to re-emphasize, I strongly hope you can avoid dual-booting with an O.S. now defunct for all but some business users. I can install my Epson in around five minutes, and it's likely @Schultz and Brian_P can install an HP printer as easily. I empathize with your understandable frustration, but hope you will consider following Brian's suggestion(s).
... so it appears that the operating system has been somewhat scrambled.
If you must reinstall Cinnamon -- or Mate -- (poor terminal syntax can cause cache damage) you may want to consider first installing the horrible but free Windows 10 so Mint can dual boot with it. It doesn't work the other way around. I hate saying that as much as you'll hate hearing it, but you'd have flexibility if your printer woes drag on. Many on this forum keep Windows as a dual boot or, preferably in my opinion, a virtual machine. I eliminated it but only because its primary applications are on my Android tablet. Though I never so far have needed those apps.

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Update. I researched the suggestion of using a router; it appears that I would need a more expensive router. All four ports are in use now and the printer requires a cable connection; can be either ethernet or usb and the 140 something page manual for it makes no mention of printers. The Windows 7 hard drive is back in the computer and the printer functions as normal. I need a printer now, not next week or next month. It wasn't that I didn't have warning; a few months back I read an article in an online computer magazine that stated that connecting peripherals to a Linux system was hit and miss and I didn't believe it. I do now.
Thanks for trying to help. I may be back if I try the dual boot scenario.
Thanks again,
Rusty

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

If anyone has another idea within the limits of my equipment I will give it a try. As it was I had been without a printer for 10 -11 days and needed to get something done.
Thanks,
Rusty

B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

Rusty Relic wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:11 pm
If anyone has another idea within the limits of my equipment I will give it a try. As it was I had been without a printer for 10 -11 days and needed to get something done.
Thanks,
Rusty
That Dell is quite old; I can't imagine how you ran Cinnamon on it, even if you upgraded the memory. While your desktop choice won't affect printer configuration, it can add an extra layer of problems you certainly don't need. I have no idea what your mention of routers concerned, and in your understandable haste to access printing you apparently missed @Brian_P's Monday March 9, 2020 7:57 am reply about posting the result(s) of "driverless." Do that.

Here is the page where drivers and your missing downloadable plug-in for an HP Laserjet Pro MFP M127 should be:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... el/5303415

I write "should" because unfortunately the download link is gone. That makes Brian_P's suggestion critical. In addition, you should contact HP Linux support at:
https://launchpad.net/hplip

As with all printer manufacturers HP does not provide telephone support for Linux printing. But unlike most others, HP provides online support at the above web page. On that page, click the "Ask a question" section. Your first question should be where the heck has your downloadable plug-in gone?

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

Well, at least it knows something is connected to the router. When I typed in 'driverless' it returned :
ipp://DEV77E5D1.local:631/ipp/print What does that tell you? I typed it in again after turning off the printer and it returned nothing so it is recognizing the printer. I also tried that query from the 17.3 Mint Cinnamon desktop machine and it returns 'driverless: command not found' so there has been some additions to 19.3.
I reloaded 19.3 Mate and have the latest version of HPLIP downloaded but haven't yet tried to install it.
Thanks

B2WJ
Level 2
Level 2

Post by B2WJ »

Rusty Relic wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm
Well, at least it knows something is connected to the router. When I typed in 'driverless' it returned :
ipp://DEV77E5D1.local:631/ipp/print What does that tell you?
Yes, initial setup for adding printers using IPP, that in turn uses URL notation to identify printers. So like you said your printer is recognized; you can complete setup via IPP. Now hopefully HP can guide you to that missing "downloadable plug-in" that still concerns me.
Last edited by B2WJ on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

Rusty Relic wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm
ipp://DEV77E5D1.local:631/ipp/print What does that tell you?
It gives you the URI of the printer. A device URI is where the print job is sent to for processing by the printer. Without knowing it a user cannot print. You now know it so can can complete setting up a queue by doing

lpadmin -p PRINTER_NAME -v ipp://DEV77E5D1.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
PRINTER_NAME can be anything you want. Test printing with

lp -d PRINTER_NAME /etc/nsswitch.conf
I typed it in again after turning off the printer and it returned nothing so it is recognizing the printer. I also tried that query from the 17.3 Mint Cinnamon desktop machine and it returns 'driverless: command not found' so there has been some additions to 19.3.
The additions to the printing system are very important and have, unfortunately, passed most users, including experienced ones, by.
I reloaded 19.3 Mate and have the latest version of HPLIP downloaded but haven't yet tried to install it.
Thanks
HPLIP isn't required for printing with your printer.
--
Brian.

Rusty Relic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rusty Relic »

We are gaining! When I typed in " lpadmin -p HpLaserjet -v ipp://DEV77E5D1.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere"
the terminal accepted it. Then I tried the next command entry "lp -d PRINTER_NAME /etc/nsswitch.conf" and got this: " lp: Error - unable to access "nsswitch.conf" - No such file or directory " and no test page either.
Then I opened three small word and spreadsheet files and all of them printed !! Now to change the hard drive in the 17.3 machine and load 19.3 and maybe it will print also.
This doesn't solve my original idea of directly printing from a computer but may work better once I get the 17.3 upgraded due to the location of the two computers.
Next question; how do I attempt to learn what happened with what I just entered? Bear in mind that I have been on this planet for the upper half of seven decades.
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

You now know how to set up a working print queue easily and have got printing going. Splendid.
Rusty Relic wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 pm
... Then I tried the next command entry "lp -d PRINTER_NAME /etc/nsswitch.conf" and got this: " lp: Error - unable to access "nsswitch.conf" - No such file or directory " ...
/etc/nsswitch.conf is installed by the libc-bin package and libc-bin is a required package. In other words, it is impossible for nsswitch.conf not to be on your system. Do

ls -l /etc/nsswitch.conf
I would have chosen m127 for PRINTER_NAME. In that case I would have printed with

lp -d m127 /etc/nsswitch.conf
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”