Printer Driver for .PDF [SOLVED (sort of)]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Printer Driver for .PDF [SOLVED (sort of)]

Post by MrEen »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:48 pm I would like to make private information public again here: I have no idea what an AX4 file is.
And no, I can't create a PDF of it.
More likely because you don't have Apex installed. :wink:

rgand: It appears you should be able to export to an image. Can you do that then use something else to convert the image to PDF? I'm thinking (hoping) that you can change the image format to something more common. I got that from here: https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wind ... ndard.html

Hoping that's the correct software.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Thank you MrEen

I've thought of giving up many times.
I'm giving up now.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

rgand wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:56 pm I need to print image files to .PDF format. This needs to be done in the printer choice since the software is running through Wine and can't generate an image file on its own. Is there a printer driver that will do that in Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit?
You need to convert an image file to a free-standing PDF file?

A simple direct method could be to use a program like the cross-platform XnView MP image software: that will open common image file formats and can save them as a PDF file.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

cday wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:16 pm
rgand wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:56 pm I need to print image files to .PDF format. This needs to be done in the printer choice since the software is running through Wine and can't generate an image file on its own. Is there a printer driver that will do that in Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit?
You need to convert an image file to a free-standing PDF file?

A simple direct method could be to use a program like the cross-platform XnView MP image software: that will open common image file formats and can save them as a PDF file.
Hi cday.

The issue here, so far, has been the proprietary image format. I'm hoping rgand can change the output to an image format that is more popular, but won't be surprised if this is not an option.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

MrEen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:24 pm The issue here, so far, has been the proprietary image format. I'm hoping rgand can change the output to an image format that is more popular, but won't be surprised if this is not an option.
Thanks for the clarification, it's a long thread and checking I see it was another poster who referred to 'common image formats'.

Is there a particular format that needs to be opened, as XnView MP which is cross-platform can open a very large number of formats?

Edit: XnView MP Supported formats
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

So far, only an AX4 file. And it's not on the list you linked to.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Don't think that it's any failing on your part. The .AX4 file is an Apex file that only Apex can open or work with. As to saving it in a more familiar format, that's the issue. MrEen is right, I can't export or write it to anything because Apex is written for Windows and although it works fine installed through Wine, the print/export function doesn't work the same. Somehow Wine doesn't address the print function exactly the same. I still have that other computer with Windows on it to use. I just wanted to eliminate the thing.

What I need is a .jpg of the printout but in Windows it needs to be exported from Apex as a .pdf first then that in turn can be opened and the file saved as an image file. I even considered doing a screen print and saving that but I would need to save three of them and re-assemble the images into one using GIMP or something similar.

I appreciate all the effort spent here but I suspect it's not going to result in a workable solution. Damn Windows still has its hooks in me on this. :mrgreen:
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

They said "everything would be easier with the computer"
I never believed them, but I did hope
unfortunately
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

rgand wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 pmalthough it works fine installed through Wine,
Damn Windows still has its hooks in me on this. :mrgreen:
How about trying a Windows VM, so at least you can do everything on the same machine?
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:16 pm They said "everything would be easier with the computer"
I never believed them, but I did hope
unfortunately
LOL
MrEen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:52 pm How about trying a Windows VM, so at least you can do everything on the same machine?
Then I'd have to buy an installation of Windows and that I'm not going to do just for one software package. I did have a dual boot on my main computer at one time but that really wasn't much different than having two computers other than with two, I can run them both at the same time if needed. I cleaned that off and gained the disk space.

Thanks for all the suggestions people, but it's looking like this is one of those issues that doesn't have a solution. I'll just have to wait until I don't need Apex and then I'll install Linux over Windows on that computer, too.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

rgand wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 am Then I'd have to buy an installation of Windows and that I'm not going to do just for one software package. I did have a dual boot on my main computer at one time but that really wasn't much different than having two computers other than with two, I can run them both at the same time if needed. I cleaned that off and gained the disk space.
No purchase necessary: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html
rgand wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 am Thanks for all the suggestions people, but it's looking like this is one of those issues that doesn't have a solution. I'll just have to wait until I don't need Apex and then I'll install Linux over Windows on that computer, too.
That's my last suggestion. I promise. :D
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

MrEen wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:41 pm
rgand wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 am Then I'd have to buy an installation of Windows and that I'm not going to do just for one software package. I did have a dual boot on my main computer at one time but that really wasn't much different than having two computers other than with two, I can run them both at the same time if needed. I cleaned that off and gained the disk space.
No purchase necessary: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html
rgand wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 am Thanks for all the suggestions people, but it's looking like this is one of those issues that doesn't have a solution. I'll just have to wait until I don't need Apex and then I'll install Linux over Windows on that computer, too.
That's my last suggestion. I promise. :D
LOL! All suggestions have been most appreciated.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”