How Do I Clear EVERYTHING "Epson" From Mint 19.3?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
B2WJ

How Do I Clear EVERYTHING "Epson" From Mint 19.3?

Post by B2WJ »

I want to clear all traces of my Epson Stylus NX420 out of Mint 19.3 as I troubleshoot why proprietary drivers require constant reinstallation. After deleting the NX420 through either "system-config-printer" or CUPS (http://localhost:631/admin) I first used:

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove $package-name
Later I used:

sudo apt-get purge $package-name
In each instance when I added the NX420 back all printer settings including current job number remained intact. Something printer-related remains in two exclusively Mint 19.3 PCs. What? I looked in “/usr/share/cups/model" and it was empty. I also looked in "lib64" and saw nothing obvious. Search and "greb" showed nothing obvious as well. So I tried the following cleaning options despite believing at least one is now automated:

sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt autoclean 
sudo apt clean
Still the printer settings remain. Admittedly, I don't expect clearing the settings to help. It is only a start in determining why one or more of the following drivers keeps causing images/graphics of any size to abort until reinstalled in the involved PC -- only to abort graphics printing again the next one or two computer/printer sessions. Even the rudimentary printer "test page" aborts.

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.7.7-1lsb3.2_amd64
epson-inkjet-printer-nx420_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64
epson-printer-utility_1.1.1-1lsb3.2_amd64

For those who never enjoyed the convenience, these are the Debian executable (read "double-click" ease) "Gdebi" Package Installers. Epson provides these 64bit(AMD64) files for [ deb ] Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Debian GNU/Linux, etc. It places two potential NX420 PPDs with 64bit(x86_64) files for [ rpm ] Mandriva Linux, Fedora, openSUSE, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, etc. Apparently the "nx420" driver negates need for a PPD. That is something I need to determine -- if necessary with a separate post -- after clearing the settings and starting over.

Thanks,
Bill B.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How Do I Clear EVERYTHING "Epson" From Mint 19.3?

Post by sleeper12 »

You have to enter the package name in that command after purge with no $.
B2WJ

Post by B2WJ »

Sorry, @sleeper12, I should have used brackets -- [$package-name] -- to indicate a blank. And should have simply written out exactly what I enter in the first place. It is:

sudo apt remove epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
sudo apt remove epson-inkjet-printer-nx420
sudo apt remove epson-printer-utility
And:

sudo apt-get purge epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
sudo apt-get purge epson-inkjet-printer-nx420
sudo apt-get purge epson-printer-utility
Ignore "apt" versus "apt-get" as I often find myself using the latter out of habit. In any case for these commands the terminal starts the requested process and then asks for its standard "Y/n" confirmation. I enter "Y" and the terminal proceeds to remove or purge. Yet when I add the printer back with either CUPS or the configuration tool my original settings with job count remain. So I'm somehow not getting everything out.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Ok, I don't have a solution, but you rebooted, right?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Check hidden folders in your home (probably ~/.config) for any user specific config files related to those packages.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

To find all the packages installed, run

dpkg -l "*epson*" | grep ii
Then purge the packages it returns. Keep an eye out for removing needed packages which might depend on the epson stuff.

Then to find all the files under $HOME, run

find $HOME -iname "*epson*"
and delete the files.

If you really want to Clear EVERYTHING "Epson", run

find / -iname "*epson*"
and delete the files.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
B2WJ

Post by B2WJ »

Thanks to everyone. I hastily tried all of the recommendations so will be revisiting. This could take some time, especially given results from the guidance of @Flemur.
Ok, I don't have a solution, but you rebooted, right?
Well, not immediately as I do for kernel updates.
Check hidden folders in your home (probably ~/.config) for any user specific config files related to those packages.
Checked the hidden folders view to quickly scan the files. Saw nothing obvious but must return for a better look that may be aided by the readouts from Flemur's recommended commands.
To find all the packages installed, run

william@william-Aspire-E1-731:~$ dpkg -l "*epson*" | grep ii
dpkg-query: no packages found matching *epson*
Then to find all the files under $HOME, run

william@william-Aspire-E1-731:~$ find $HOME -iname "*epson*"
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Epson Avasys
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Epson Avasys/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Epson Avasys/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.7.7-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Epson Avasys/epson-printer-utility_1.1.1-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/lib64/libEpson_Stylus_NX420.so.1.0.0
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/lib64/libEpson_Stylus_NX420.MT.so.1.0.0
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-Stylus_SX420W_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-Stylus_NX420_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-Stylus_TX420W_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-ME_OFFICE_560W_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/ppds/Epson/Epson-TX420_NX420_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/cups/lib/filter/epson_inkjet_printer_filter
/home/william/Desktop/AMD64 (DEB) Seiko Epson/epson-inkjet-printer-nx420/doc/COPYING.EPSON
DELETED:  583 REMAINING LINES
Those are the first 17 of 600 lines showing my regularly updated AMD64(DEB) installation files, retained due to the constant need to reinstall. The next command brought 3,044 lines comprised mostly of the installation files and Timeshift Snapshots. But at the beginning and end were some lines of interest I retained from the printout.
If you really want to Clear EVERYTHING "Epson", run

william@william-Aspire-E1-731:~$ find / -iname "*epson*"
find: ‘/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-ModemManager.service-6FMZzT’: Permission denied
find: ‘/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-rtkit-daemon.service-6sR1aH’: Permission denied
find: ‘/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-ntp.service-SCbZBx’: Permission denied
find: ‘/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-systemd-resolved.service-mjEbFr’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/tty/driver’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/1/task/1/fd’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/1/task/1/fdinfo’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/1/task/1/ns’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/1/fd’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/1/map_files’: Permission denied
find: ‘/proc/1/fdinfo’: Permission denied

DELETED: LINES 11 THROUGH 3012

find: ‘/sys/kernel/debug’: Permission denied
find: ‘/sys/fs/pstore’: Permission denied
find: ‘/etc/ssl/private’: Permission denied
find: ‘/etc/polkit-1/localauthority’: Permission denied
find: ‘/etc/cups/ssl’: Permission denied
/etc/sane.d/epsonds.conf
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
/etc/sane.d/epson2.conf
find: ‘/boot/efi’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/cache/ldconfig’: Permission denied
/var/cache/epson-backend
find: ‘/var/cache/lightdm/dmrc’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/cache/apt/archives/partial’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/cache/cups’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-ntp.service-fiBVw7’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-rtkit-daemon.service-vzM9Og’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-ModemManager.service-DYpmb8’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/tmp/systemd-private-8422939ec1914c7fa14861aa92490333-systemd-resolved.service-tG7DYE’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/bluetooth/60:02:B4:89:19:EA’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/udisks2’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/polkit-1’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/lightdm’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/apt/lists/partial’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/private’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/colord/.cache’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/spool/cron/atjobs’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/spool/cron/atspool’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/spool/cron/crontabs’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/spool/rsyslog’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/spool/cups’: Permission denied
find: ‘/var/log/speech-dispatcher’: Permission denied
While it doesn't solve the effort to remove everything Epson, lines one and 3,029 referencing Modem Manager plus several references to spooling interest me. The constant aborting of graphics coincides with Comcast's delivery of an upgraded 3.1 DOCSIS wireless modem. However, I ruled out the modem or Wi-Fi because I can always print text. Likewise spooling because after I reinstall the drivers -- a process that often takes multiple re-installations -- by all indications I can print enormous graphics files indefinitely while the computer(s)/printer remain on. Much to consider.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”