Experience with HP Scanjet 4p, if anyone is interested

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Jerry N
Level 3
Level 3

Experience with HP Scanjet 4p, if anyone is interested

Post by Jerry N »

I don't know if anyone is interested in getting one of these old SCSI scanners going again, here is my experience today.

My HP Scanjet 4p and its associated Advansys SCSI board have been sitting in a cabinet ever since I got an Epson scanner, somewhere between 10 and 15 years ago. It is time to see if the old scanner still works or if it is time to dumpster it. I had never tried the scanner with Linux but today I plugged the Advansys SCSI into a PCI slot on an admittedly somewhat old computer running Linux Mint 19.3 (MATE), connected the scanner to the SCSI board, turned the scanner on, and booted the computer. The SCSI board started up when the computer was booted and found the Scanjet 4P. After bootup was complete, I started XSANE and XSANE found the scanner. From there, I scanned a couple of documents and everything seemed to be OK.

No earthshaking breakthrough and the 4p is going back in the cabinet but now I know I have a viable backup if my Epson Perfection 2450 scanner were to fail. Kind of fun to get "oldy but goody" hardware running again.

Jerry
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Experience with HP Scanjet 4p, if anyone is interested

Post by kukamuumuka »

I have one HP Scanjet too, and it works great. :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”