Canon image RUNNER ADVANCE C3520i II - prints blank pages [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Canon image RUNNER ADVANCE C3520i II - prints blank pages [Solved]

Post by beachgardener »

Hello there, I am asking for assistance please on this issue. I have looked for a fix, but not finding the right way. Help much appreciated, thank you.

LM 19.3 Cinnamon 32bit (I installed 32bit simply because it had Vista 32bit) Old HP laptop Pavilion dv7.
Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C3520i II (network printer).

I downloaded the correct drivers from Canon, and via terminal cd to correct directory where sudo ./install.sh did not work.
I then navigated to the folders with .deb files and double clicked the 32bit and it seemed to install. It seemed connected but would not print, no paper came out.

Should I see if LM 64bit will install on this laptop?

Then I deleted that printer from system settings, and via localhost:631 re-installed the printer, this time, test print, paper comes out, but blank.

This printer is not at my home (at local non profit museum) and only have access on certain days, if someone could please tell me how to proceed, thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C3520i II - prints blank pages

Post by brian_p »

Ditch the Canon drivers and execute

Code: Select all

lpadmin -p PRINTER_QUEUE_NAME -v URI -E -m everywhere
PRINTER_QUEUE_NAME is anything you like. URI is what you get from the command

driverless
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Canon image RUNNER ADVANCE C3520i II - prints blank pages

Post by beachgardener »

thank you for the reply. when you say ditch the canon drivers do you mean uninstall them? I'm not sure how.
maybe this:
https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0587-zz- ... _uninstall

I can do that if that is what you mean?
or do you mean delete the printer from system settings?

then do your suggestions.

In terminal:
PRINTER_QUEUE_NAME is anything you like - do I type in the canon printer name?
URI is what you get from the command - I'm not sure I understand this?

I'm trying to understand how to execute your suggestions.

I'll get back to the printer as soon as possible.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

beachgardener wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:30 am thank you for the reply. when you say ditch the canon drivers do you mean uninstall them? I'm not sure how.
maybe this:

I can do that if that is what you mean?
or do you mean delete the printer from system settings?
You should definitely delete the printer from system settings. Uninstalling the drivers is up to you. I would do it because they become unneeded when using the technique I have advocated.

then do your suggestions.

In terminal:
PRINTER_QUEUE_NAME is anything you like - do I type in the canon printer name?
You can type anything that makes sense to you. I'd put c3520i. You might choose advanceprinter or museumprinter. The printing system will be happy with anything your imagination supplies.
URI is what you get from the command - I'm not sure I understand this?
The command

driverless
issued from a terminal gives an output. You substitute the output for URI.
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok thank you, I think I've got it:

uninstall the canon drivers
delete the printer from system settings
lpadmin -p c3520i -v URI -E -m everywhere

but instead of URI, i type in the output from the driverless command.

I hope I have this right,

I will endeavour to get to the museum as soon as possible.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

You have it right. I would set up the c3520i everywhere queue before removing the Canon software. Just to make sure the queue works.
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok thank you, I will get back to you as soon as possible.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Hello, nothing is working here, I deleted the printer from system settings, did the driverless command, no out put for that.

I attempted to uninstall the canon from instructions for 5 debian type:

I tried to continue with instructions but # dpkg -l | grep cnrcups | grep zk | awk '{print $2}' | xargs dpkg -P said I needed a package name, no idea what that would be.
went on with # dpkg -P cnrdrvcups-ufr2-uk that seemed to do something. tried driverless again still nothing.

There needs to be a simpler way to do stuff like this, all I'm trying to do is set up a printer, this type of stuff should be much easier in2020. I looked in package manager for anything canon, nothing.

I understand that I can't go on with your suggestion without a URI. Does the printer need to be installed to get the URI? So maybe the new printer needs to be set up before the old one is deleted?
Just thinking what is a URI? that printer is connected socket//:192.168.1.250 can't remember port. something, I'd have to install the printer again to see it.

How can I proceed? Thank you. I have limited access here, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

other thought: when the printer was installed it would print blank pages, wouldn't that be some sort of setting in the software that could fix that?
my other thought is maybe I need to re-install LinuxMint to get rid of the canon software
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

beachgardener wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:38 pm Hello, nothing is working here, I deleted the printer from system settings, did the driverless command, no out put for that.

I attempted to uninstall the canon from instructions for 5 debian type:

I tried to continue with instructions but # dpkg -l | grep cnrcups | grep zk | awk '{print $2}' | xargs dpkg -P said I needed a package name, no idea what that would be.
went on with # dpkg -P cnrdrvcups-ufr2-uk that seemed to do something. tried driverless again still nothing.

There needs to be a simpler way to do stuff like this, all I'm trying to do is set up a printer, this type of stuff should be much easier in2020. I looked in package manager for anything canon, nothing.
I would forget about removing the Canon packages for now and concentrate on getting an output for

driverless
Whether the Canon drivers are on the system or not has no effect on setting up an everywhere print queue.
I understand that I can't go on with your suggestion without a URI. Does the printer need to be installed to get the URI? So maybe the new printer needs to be set up before the old one is deleted?
Just thinking what is a URI? that printer is connected socket//:192.168.1.250 can't remember port. something, I'd have to install the printer again to see it.
Having a URI is essential. The socket URI is useless for a driverless queue.
How can I proceed? Thank you. I have limited access here, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Did I stress that the actual printer must be network-connected? That's often done via wireless. You could provide the output from

lpinfo -v
other thought: when the printer was installed it would print blank pages, wouldn't that be some sort of setting in the software that could fix that?
Not that I know of. I don't even know why it is happening.
my other thought is maybe I need to re-install LinuxMint to get rid of the canon software
Leave the Canon software alone. Concentrate on having a network connection and an output from driverless

I do not like guessing, but the following URI just might work with the lpadmin command.

ipp://192.168.1.250/ipp/print
This assumes 192.168.1.250 is the printer's IP address.
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok thanks for that, I will get onto it. Yes that is the ip for the printer, the laptop is connected wirelessly to the router, the printer connects to the router via network cable.
I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok thank you we have had success. Sorry, my bad, correct ip is 192.168.20.250.
historical@historical-HP:~$ lpinfo -v
file cups-brf:/
network smb
network beh
network socket
network http
network ipp
network ipps
network https
network lpd
direct hp
direct hpfax
network dnssd://Canon%20iR-ADV%20C3520%20(13%3A32%3Ae2)%20(13%3A32%3Ae2)%20(5)%20(13%20(13%3A32%3Ae2)%20(3)._printer._tcp.local/?uuid=dfdf7cf5-3aa0-37fd-650e-3cec56c15892
network dnssd://Canon%20iR-ADV%20C3520%20(13%3A32%3Ae2)%20(13%3A32%3Ae2)%20(5)%20(13%20(13%3A32%3Ae2)%20(3)._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/?uuid=dfdf7cf5-3aa0-37fd-650e-3cec56c15892
network socket://192.168.20.250
historical@historical-HP:~$ driverless list
DEBUG: Started ippfind (PID 2296)
DEBUG: Started post-processing (PID 2297)
DEBUG: PID 2296 (ippfind) stopped with status 1!
DEBUG: PID 2297 (Post-processing) exited with no errors.
historical@historical-HP:~$ driverless
historical@historical-HP:~$
Ok, don't know why driverless has no output, last night I did research on driverless and came up with this page:
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessP ... d_Printers
on that page I used the method "Creating a Driverless Print Queue with the CUPS Web Interface" Thanks to your driverless suggestion.
I stumbled through that, thanks for your suggestion on the ipp uri thing that helped. Actually the instructions said choose one with driverless in the description, it didn't actually have that as a choice, just had to go with it, but when choosing the model it said close to model number - foomatic (recommended) or something like that, I don't know what that is.
anyway test prints from cups and 2 different applications went through no worries.
Let me know if anything else, but all seems to work now,

I much appreciate your help, cheers.

Come to think of it, I'll do another test print when I'm there next in colour, just to see how that goes, the test prints that came out where in black and white. maybe there is a default somewhere at present that chooses b/w, maybe have to actually choose colour for it to be so.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Ok thank you we have had success. Sorry, my bad, correct ip is 192.168.20.250
Not a problem; you picked up on it. But see what I mean about guessing? :)

When you next have access would you get what the next two commands give?

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok, will do :)
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok there is something not right with the printer setup, it seems to only print b&w (also not enough options) with no options for colour either in an application or cups on this laptop:
https://pasteboard.co/J3xOZtN.png

Also when hovering the cursor over the printer icon on the panel it says "Status: Filter Failed" I'm hoping these can be sorted out. But I have no idea how at this point. What do you think?

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
https://pastebin.com/kQP1tS2F

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
historical@historical-HP:~$ avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
+ wlp2s0 IPv4 Canon iR-ADV C3520 (13:32:e2) (13:32:e2) (5) (13 (13:32:e2) (3) _uscan._tcp local
= wlp2s0 IPv4 Canon iR-ADV C3520 (13:32:e2) (13:32:e2) (5) (13 (13:32:e2) (3) _uscan._tcp local
hostname = [Canon1332E2.local]
address = [192.168.20.250]
port = [80]
txt = ["duplex=T" "is=platen,adf" "UUID=dfdf7cf5-3aa0-37fd-650e-3cec56c15892" "cs=color,grayscale" "pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,image/jpeg" "representation=http://Canon1332E2.local/en/media/C3530_128x128.png" "adminurl=http://Canon1332E2.local:8000/rps/airprint" "rs=eSCL" "vers=2.63" "note=" "ty=Canon iR-ADV C3520" "txtvers=1"]
Thank you for helping, I hope something can come of this to get the printer functional on this computer.

Edit: I checked another computer there running Win7. Via print properties it has options to print Colour/B&W/Auto. So the print B&W thing on the Mint laptop is not just some setting on the printer.
In that pastebin doc. above, I did see a section in it that said "greyscale"
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

beachgardener wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:35 pm Ok there is something not right with the printer setup, it seems to only print b&w (also not enough options) with no options for colour either in an application or cups on this laptop:
https://pasteboard.co/J3xOZtN.png

Also when hovering the cursor over the printer icon on the panel it says "Status: Filter Failed" I'm hoping these can be sorted out. But I have no idea how at this point. What do you think?
You have set up the printer by ...choosing the model it said close to model number - foomatic (recommended) or something like that, I don't know what that is.... The PPD is probably the incorrect one, which is why you do not get colour printing. Sorry, I am not prepared to troubleshoot that setup.

However, beachgardener, your avahi-browse outputs are useful; thanks. The driverless command does not work for you; why, I do not know. However, it doesn't matter as I can work out that its output should be ipp://Canon1332E2.local/ipp/print. This is the URI. Substitute for it in

lpadmin -p c3520i -v URI -E -m everywhere
Does

lp -d c3520i /etc/nsswitch.conf
print? If so, try other documents.
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

set up the printer by ...choosing the model it said close to model number - foomatic (recommended) or something like that, I don't know what that is.... The PPD is probably the incorrect one, which is why you do not get colour printing.
Actually I can have another look at that to check. Maybe I got it wrong there, but at the time it seemed that there wasn't an exact model number available. Maybe I got the numbers mixed up, silly mistake. I took another look at the pastebin and I think I can see where I made the mistake with the numbers.

Thanks for working out the URI, just to be clear are you asking me to re-do the printer setup? I can do that.
lpadmin -p c3520i -v ipp://Canon1332E2.local/ipp/print -E -m everywhere

then do

I think I've got it, probably a couple days until can get access again. Thank you for looking at this.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

beachgardener wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:14 am
set up the printer by ...choosing the model it said close to model number - foomatic (recommended) or something like that, I don't know what that is.... The PPD is probably the incorrect one, which is why you do not get colour printing.
Actually I can have another look at that to check. Maybe I got it wrong there, but at the time it seemed that there wasn't an exact model number available. Maybe I got the numbers mixed up, silly mistake. I took another look at the pastebin and I think I can see where I made the mistake with the numbers.
Some users get away with choosing a model close to the one they have. It is not a technique I would want to recommend.
Thanks for working out the URI, just to be clear are you asking me to re-do the printer setup? I can do that.
lpadmin -p c3520i -v ipp://Canon1332E2.local/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
Yes, please. This will wipe any queue of the same name (c3520i). Should you not want to do that, use a different name, like 3520, for the -p option.
then do
Yes. Change the -p option if you change the print queue name.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Yes. Change the -p option if you change the print queue name.
-d. Not -p.
--
Brian.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Ok, we have had success, thank you very much, and I have learned so much through this, a different way to install a printer.

I deleted the printer, re-booted and ran:
historical@historical-HP:~$ lpadmin -p 3520 -v ipp://Canon1332E2.local/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
historical@historical-HP:~$ lp -d 3520 /etc/nsswitch.conf
request id is 3520-21 (1 file(s))

https://pasteboard.co/J3QMwKh.png

I then printed from two different applications, no worries a good result. It prints colour and black and white :)

It didn't print a test print from printer properties, the printer made a noise but no paper came out.
https://pasteboard.co/J3QOi09.png
I'm not worried about this because everything else seems to print ok.

Under: System Settings > Hardware > Printers: the printer icon has and exclamation mark, not sure why, it seems to print ok.
Should I right click and make that printer "Default Printer"? It is something I'd usually do, but thought best to ask.
https://pasteboard.co/J3QSVlwC.png

The printer suggests that paper is low, on the laptop it says via some pop up notifications that it is out of paper, anyway I'm not concerned as it still prints.

Thank you and I wait to see if there is any more suggestions.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

beachgardener wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:42 pm Ok, we have had success, thank you very much, and I have learned so much through this, a different way to install a printer.
Very satisfying. Thanks for sticking with it.

It didn't print a test print from printer properties, the printer made a noise but no paper came out.
https://pasteboard.co/J3QOi09.png
I'm not worried about this because everything else seems to print ok.

Under: System Settings > Hardware > Printers: the printer icon has and exclamation mark, not sure why, it seems to print ok.
Pass.
Should I right click and make that printer "Default Printer"? It is something I'd usually do, but thought best to ask.
Go ahead. Also, please edit the topic's title to have [Solved] in it.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”