HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by kmb42vt »

@carum carvi: Nope, never had a network. Stand alone desktop computer, printer connected via USB.

@brian_p: Ran the command you gave with the printer on and this is the return:

Code: Select all

0 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
This is really odd. Hplip has been used for HP printers in Linux Mint as far as I can recall and now it's changed? Well, okay, but what does the the above return tell me? I'm out of my league here (plus I'm getting old and probably forgot more than I've learned :) )

Perhaps the ippusbxd daemon isn't doing what it's supposed to do? The printer works in Windows 10 and a live session of Mint 19.3 (via hplip) so it's not a connection problem.

And thanks for the reply.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by brian_p »

kmb42vt wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:07 am
@brian_p: Ran the command you gave with the printer on and this is the return:

Code: Select all

0 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
This is really odd. Hplip has been used for HP printers in Linux Mint as far as I can recall and now it's changed? Well, okay, but what does the the above return tell me? I'm out of my league here (plus I'm getting old and probably forgot more than I've learned :) )
ippusbxd starts a daemon service on boot. On LM20 cups-browsed automatically configures a modern printer to work driverlessly as a network printer. The idea is that a user need do nothing to be printing immediately when USB-connected. Using a printer becomes as easy as plugging in a mouse or keyboard.

You get 0 loaded units listed. Your ippusbxd daemon service isn't running. I do not know why. You would have to look for clues in the logs (journalctl, for example). Perhaps it crashed when the computer booted.
Perhaps the ippusbxd daemon isn't doing what it's supposed to do?


This is a definite possibility. Issues should be reported at Launchpad. Returning to the pre-LM20 USB situation is as easy as

Code: Select all

apt purge ippusbxd
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by brian_p »

I said
You get 0 loaded units listed. Your ippusbxd daemon service isn't running. I do not know why.
I should have been more precise. The only time I get 0 loaded units listed is when the printer is not plugged in, so ippusbxd not running is not always a bug.

I should also have mentioned that HPLIP has not been required for modern printers connected by wireless or ethernet since LM19 appeared. LM20 extends this to USB-connected printers. It would not be correct to say that driverless printing is bug-free. However, there is also a problem with users. They immediately resort to HPLIP because the device is manufactured by HP.

Its a bit like someone using leeches instead of antibiotics to treat their illness because that is what they have always done. :)
--
Brian.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by carum carvi »

brian_p wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm
On LM20 cups-browsed automatically configures a modern printer to work driverless as a network printer. The idea is that a user need do nothing to be printing immediately when USB-connected. Using a printer becomes as easy as plugging in a mouse or keyboard.
Well that change can only be applauded, because it would indeed be very nice if I could simply attach any printer and wouldnt have to worry about any installation any longer. I didnt read anything about this change in printer setup in the release notes though of LM20, have I overlooked something? A notice of this change could have prepared me better what to do, because I do connect my printer via usb and never via wifi or ethernet. And especially for usb connected printers now things have suddenly changed.
brian_p wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:56 pm
HPLIP has not been required for modern printers connected by wireless or ethernet since LM19 appeared. LM20 extends this to USB-connected printers. It would not be correct to say that driverless printing is bug-free.
brian_p wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm
Returning to the pre-LM20 USB situation is as easy as

Code: Select all

apt purge ippusbxd
I have gone back to LM19.2 temporarily, so I cant test the above command right now, but when I have time I'll do a reinstall of LM20 and do some more testing. Thanks for all the help brianp, I will post back with more news soon...
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by brian_p »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:07 pm
brian_p wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm
On LM20 cups-browsed automatically configures a modern printer to work driverless as a network printer. The idea is that a user need do nothing to be printing immediately when USB-connected. Using a printer becomes as easy as plugging in a mouse or keyboard.
Well that change can only be applauded, because it would indeed be very nice if I could simply attach any printer and wouldnt have to worry about any installation any longer. I didnt read anything about this change in printer setup in the release notes though of LM20, have I overlooked something? A notice of this change could have prepared me better what to do, because I do connect my printer via usb and never via wifi or ethernet. And especially for usb connected printers now things have suddenly changed.
Neither the release notes for LM20 nor those for Ubuntu focal appear to mention this change. This is (IMO) a shame. There is nothing to point to and it is fairly evident that Mint users are flummoxed when the printing system does not work for them. At the same time there are probably many users who plug their printers in and who are off to the races!

You say that your connection is
... never via wifi or ethernet.
I am very interested in why USB is the preferred method for you and others. I ask as someone who always uses wifi or ethernet.
--
Brian.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by carum carvi »

Well, I never use Wifi, because it is much slower than my ethernet cable connection, so I have Wifi disabled totally and I dont wanna mess with Wifi printer settings any way, because I fear these printer Wifi settings will only complicate things more during setting up a printer.

Furthermore I rarely use my printer, so I have stacked it away, the few times that I use it, it is simplest and easiest to directly connect the printer via usb to my computer, for the few minutes that I need to use the printer.

I hope this driverless printing thing gets perfected along the way, because the idea behind it (plug and play) is very welcome!
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by brian_p »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pm
Well, I never use Wifi, because it is much slower than my ethernet cable connection, so I have Wifi disabled totally and I dont wanna mess with Wifi printer settings any way, because I fear these printer Wifi settings will only complicate things more during setting up a printer.

Furthermore I rarely use my printer, so I have stacked it away, the few times that I use it, it is simplest and easiest to directly connect the printer via usb to my computer, for the few minutes that I need to use the printer.
Thank you for that, carum carvi. I would never have thought of occasional use as a reason. I intend to incorporate your ideas into the Debian wiki.

Other contributions are welcome.
--
Brian.
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by kmb42vt »

@brian_p:
I am very interested in why USB is the preferred method for you and others. I ask as someone who always uses wifi or ethernet.
In my experience, connecting a printer via USB has always been the preferred method since home printers went USB, both Windows and Linux distros. A great improvement over the old LTP1 or serial connections. Of course home printers didn't always have Wi-Fi capability or Ethernet connections so USB was the recommended way to go.

Like carum carvi said, I only use my printer occasionally so USB was best for me and I pretty much in the same situation as he is except I just leave my printer off until it's needed.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:40 pm
Location: England

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by cliffcoggin »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pm
I hope this driverless printing thing gets perfected along the way, because the idea behind it (plug and play) is very welcome!
Agreed, and with luck we'll get wireless scanning as well.
Cliff Coggin
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by kmb42vt »

It seems I've found the problem. In the Home directory there's a folder called ".hplip". Inside that folder is a file called "hplip.conf". Out of curiosity I opened the file and found this (my HP 3700 series was on and setup via the "Printers" app using hplip--still not printing):

Code: Select all

[commands]
scan=/usr/bin/simple-scan %SANE_URI%

[fax]
email_address=
voice_phone=

[installation]
date_time=07/02/20 10:06:02
version=3.20.3

[last_used]
device_uri="hp:/usb/DeskJet_3700_series?serial=CN94K6D2JF06GZ"
printer_name=
working_dir=.

[polling]
device_list=
enable=false
interval=5

[refresh]
enable=false
rate=30
type=1

[settings]
systray_messages=0
systray_visible=0

[upgrade]
last_upgraded_time=1593709543
notify_upgrade=false
pending_upgrade_time=0
Under the "[polling]" section and the "[refresh]" section I changed "enable=false" to "enable=true". I logged out and logged back in, printed a test page and it printed. I then printed a short document via Libreoffice, it also printed fine.

To say I'm even more confused is understating the fact. Why would an HP printer connected via USB and set up using hplip create a config file where the printer was disabled even though the checkboxes for "Enabled" and "Accepting jobs" were checked under Properties/Policies for said printer? Anyway, changing the two sections mentioned to "True" seems to have done the job. I still have to reboot but I don't think I'll have a problem--hopefully.

I'll post back here if I do and keep an eye on this thread in the mean time. It would be great if anyone else could confirm this "fix".
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:20 am

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by brian_p »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:19 pm
carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pm
I hope this driverless printing thing gets perfected along the way, because the idea behind it (plug and play) is very welcome!
Agreed, and with luck we'll get wireless scanning as well.
Wireless? if you mean driverless scanning, that is available on LM20.
--
Brian.
User avatar
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 am
Location: The Hunter Valley, Australia

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by kyphi »

This information may help:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=323973
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks for that link kyphi about the just recently released HP Envy 6000 printer series. For those with a brand new HP printer and without the proper drivers your tutorial is very welcome and helpful.That link you posted is for brandnew HP printers though and many users in this post experience problems with older printers that have worked well for many years before.

This post is about HP printers that did get recognized during install in LM20, but they couldnt print any more in LM20, while they could easily print in LM18/19. And the suspected fault seems to be a certain "ippusbxd" that is not working correctly in LM20. The Hplip drivers seem to be installed correctly in LM20, but (again if I understood correctly) those Hplip drivers arent even needed in LM20, because ippusbxd should handle the driverless printing now.

LM20 should be able to offer driverless plug and play for HP printers, but in my case and some others it isnt working correctly yet...
Last edited by carum carvi on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:40 pm
Location: England

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by cliffcoggin »

brian_p wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:07 pm
cliffcoggin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:19 pm
carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pm
I hope this driverless printing thing gets perfected along the way, because the idea behind it (plug and play) is very welcome!
Agreed, and with luck we'll get wireless scanning as well.
Wireless? if you mean driverless scanning, that is available on LM20.
Whether it is with or without drivers I don't much care, as long as it is wireless and is set up automatically without any intervention from me.
Cliff Coggin
SteveM2020
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by SteveM2020 »

I was using my HP DeskJet 2600 series printer yesterday. My OS was Linuxmint Cinnamon 19.3 Then I upgraded to Linux Mint 20 Ulyana. It killed the printer, and nothing I've been able to do has worked.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I was using my HP DeskJet 2600 series printer yesterday. My OS was Linuxmint Cinnamon 19.3 Then I upgraded to Linux Mint 20 Ulyana. It killed the printer, and nothing I've been able to do has worked.

Ideas? Suggestions?

kmb42vt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 pm post debuging outlook looks very similar to mine:

I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 427: Found interface conf=0, iface=1, altset=0, index=1
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 389: Active kernel driver on interface=1 ret=0
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 515: invalid claim_interface 7/1/2: Device or resource busy
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 427: Found interface conf=0, iface=0, altset=1, index=3
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 389: Active kernel driver on interface=0 ret=0
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 515: invalid claim_interface 7/1/4: Device or resource busy
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 427: Found interface conf=0, iface=2, altset=0, index=9
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 389: Active kernel driver on interface=2 ret=0
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 535: claimed ff/4/1 interface
E [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 770: invalid deviceid ret=-9: Resource temporarily unavailable
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 561: released ff/4/1 interface
E [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] prnt/backend/hp.c 825: INFO: open device failed stat=12: hp:/usb/DeskJet_3700_series?serial=CN94K6D2JF06GZ; will retry in 30 seconds...
***************************************

The only difference is mine is a DeskJet_2600_series. It won't connect with WiFi or USB. I'd be happy with the USB option, but I haven't found any sup-port for it.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by carum carvi »

Have you tried running the Trouble Shoot program in the Printer Settings? Help / Troubleshoot. It miraculously produced a "network" connected printer for me, when I dont even have a network. But it did work... :mrgreen:
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by kmb42vt »

SteveM2020 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:50 pm
I was using my HP DeskJet 2600 series printer yesterday. My OS was Linuxmint Cinnamon 19.3 Then I upgraded to Linux Mint 20 Ulyana. It killed the printer, and nothing I've been able to do has worked.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I was using my HP DeskJet 2600 series printer yesterday. My OS was Linuxmint Cinnamon 19.3 Then I upgraded to Linux Mint 20 Ulyana. It killed the printer, and nothing I've been able to do has worked.

Ideas? Suggestions?
@SteveM2020,

Please see my comment above:

viewtopic.php?p=1840208#p1840208

It fixed my printer after I made the change and a log out and a log back in. The model of your HP printer shouldn't matter. If you don't see the folder and file I mention in my comment, try running "hp-setup" in a terminal and check again after the setup finishes running. I wasn't sure if the folder and file were created by Mint's own printer app or "hp-setup" and I wasn't about to try and start clean to find out. Not after 3 days of troubleshooting. :D

Hope this helps.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
SteveM2020
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by SteveM2020 »

Thank you @kmb42vt I was able to find the folder and make the same changes in the config file, but it didn't help any in my case.

After three days of troubleshooting, I have three or four different printers.... and none of them work. Followed instructions in a siteground forum, Reddit and here. The more I look into it... the more I think it's going to take an engineer to fix it. Different connections methods (CUPS) or something, then local network, then other methods. Heck, in the last 20 years all I've ever done is plugin in a printer, do some basic setup things and it work no problem, just like it worked in Cinnamon 19.3. Now Ulyana 20 comes along and I may have to try and find someone to come to my house and fix this damned thing.

ya' needless to say, this is starting to get very frustrating. I may have to reinstall 19.3 so I can have a printer. I can't afford to hire anyone.
mgar75
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:16 am

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by mgar75 »

I am having same issue with printer hooked up on usb will not see printer. Will see printer on wireless network and will work downloads drivers and printer will print. But nothing on usb.
User avatar
LPC
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by LPC »

brian_p wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm
This is a definite possibility. Issues should be reported at Launchpad. Returning to the pre-LM20 USB situation is as easy as

Code: Select all

apt purge ippusbxd
I spent two days trying to get the usb connection for my Epson XP-345 working. Tried everything! I thought of going back to LM19 until I saw this. I just tapped the purge code cited by Brian, restarted the computer...and was able to set up the printer for USB - and could print! Plus I don't need to go back to LM19. I'm happy with LM20 totally now (no other problems).

Brian, that simple tip solved my problem - and I suspect will solve the non-printing problem via USB on LM20 for many others, too. Thank you so much!

Hopefully, this glitch will be solved in a revision of LM20 later. Brian, as it was you who found the temporary fix for all us USB cable printer enthusiasts, perhaps you should start a new thread letting all people know? It might get lost at the bottom of this thread. It deserves prominence on the forum.
Post Reply

Return to “Printers & Scanners”