HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by carum carvi »

My HP 3630 Inkjet printer has worked as a charm in LinuxMint 18.3 and 19.2. I never used the HPLIP connection option (see image) in LM18/19, because this particular HPLIP connection option never worked with my Hp printer, that's why I always used to select the USB connection option in LM18/19 Cinnamon. But that USB connection option has now vanished in LM20 Cinnamon. Now I only get to see the same (not working) HPLIP connection option and a new option about a serial port #5? No USB connection printer option is any longer being offered though. See screenshot below:
hplip does not work.png

My printer does get recognized correctly for the name and model number, but LM20 Cinnamon simply wont connect to my printer. It wont print any test page. Below are the printer errors in my Logs:
sender: colord-sane
message: io/hpmud/musb.c 2101: Invalid usb_open: Permission denied

sender: HP
message: prnt/backend/hp.c 825: INFO: open device failed stat=12: hp:/usb/DeskJet_3630_series?serial=CN5CA2H01D0658; will retry in 30 seconds...

sender: HP fax
message: [1806]: error: Failed to create /var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip
(priority: 1)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eldee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HP printer worked as charm in LM18/19, but cant connect via usb in LM20

Post by eldee »

I'm having the same problem with a fresh install. HP ENVY 5640
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I ran an available, simple troubleshoot program inside "Printers". At first it apparently solved nothing, but after having run the simple troubleshoot wizard suddenly a "network printer" was found in the Printers settings! But I havent connected my printer to any network at all, it is only connected via an Usb cable directly to my laptop. The suddenly found "network" printer did work though, it DID succeed in printing a test page and I quickly set my "network" printer as my default personal printer.

So my advice would be to try and run the "trouble shoot" program, which can be found in System Preferences / Printers / Help / Troubleshoot. Perhaps it does "something" for others as well, like in my case...I'll keep this post open in order to find out more about the missing USB option and the sudden "network" option...

I did successfully print a page with Libre Office, although the print option fell of the screen. GRABBING the print screen with holding down simultaneously Alt and Shift, will turn the mouse into a GRAB hand symbol and I could lift the print screen UP and make the disappeared print option visible again.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I'll keep this post open in order to find out more about the missing USB option and the sudden "network" option...
Let's see if we can shed some light on this, but first - some information please. Give the outputs of

Code: Select all

systemctl status ippusbxd@.service

lpstat -l -e

lpstat -t

lpinfo -v
--
Brian.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Failed to get properties: Unit name ippusbxd@.service is neither a valid invocation ID nor unit name.

HP-DeskJet-3630-series permanent ipp://localhost/printers/HP-DeskJet-3630-series hp:/usb/DeskJet_3630_series?serial=CN5CA2H01D065

scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for HP-DeskJet-3630-series: hp:/usb/DeskJet_3630_series?serial=CN5CA2H01D065
HP-DeskJet-3630-series accepting requests since ma 29 jun 2020 07:41:27 CEST
printer HP-DeskJet-3630-series is idle.  enabled since ma 29 jun 2020 07:41:27 CEST

file cups-brf:/
network https
network ipp
network beh
network http
serial serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
direct hp
network ipps
network socket
network lpd
network smb
direct hpfax
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Well,well! The final three outputs are not what I expected.

ippusbxd comes with LM19 but has to be to arranged to be started by the user. On LM20 it is under the control of systemd. The intention is that when a printer is connected by USB it is automatically detected and set up. See

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessP ... P-over-USB.

A user should have nothing to do; printing should be immediately available. In essence IPP-over-USB turns the device into a networked one, which, because of your description, I thought had happened.

However, none of your final three outputs show a network connection. In fact, lpstat -t has the printer URI as
hp:/usb/DeskJet_3630_series?serial=CN5CA2H01D065
This indicates that the printer has been set up using HPLIP software.

I am mystified.
--
Brian.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks for all the help brian_p! I read that link that you provided. I copied the section, which I presume is THE reason why I suddenly "appeared" to have a "network" printer:
The IPP USB specification describes an extension to USB that defines a standard for making IPP available over a USB Print class interface, and is intended to allow USB connected devices to achieve functional parity with network connected devices using IPP. In other words, whatever can be done over a network connection may also be done over a USB connection. A USB connected printer is therefore seen as a network printer when IPP-over-USB is used.
Before, in LM18/19 the printer worked immediately when I connected the printer directly throuhg usb to my computer. Now it works as well, but through some "messaround" (see quote above) with the new LM20 settings: now my usb connected printer is suddenly called a network printer, while it is actually not. Because I dont have a network whatsoever. :!: :D :mrgreen:

When it works, it works! All ends well.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

When it works, it works! All ends well.
I cannot argue with that! :D

Just as a data point, what does

lpoptions -p HP-DeskJet-3630-series
give you?
--
Brian.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

It gives me a total blank in the terminal. Nothing. Is that good or bad?

Edit: I made an error. I accidentally entered the above terminal command in the wrong OS. I entered it into a LM19OS instead of my LM20OS. See below....
Last edited by carum carvi on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

carum carvi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:28 pm It gives me a total blank in the terminal. Nothing. Is that good or bad?
Bad. According to your lpstat outputs the printer name is HP-DeskJet-3630-series.
--
Brian.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Yes it is a HP 3630 series. It does get recognized when connected. But no usb option and it wont print at all at first. But what is particularly bad about the blank result in the terminal? Now I am worried... :o

Edit: 10 minutes later... Oh wait a second, I made a big mistake: I am working on my LM19 computer right now. And I entered your latest mentioned terminal command into my LM19.2 OS. And NOT on my LM20 computer, because I have temporarily deleted my entire LM20 and will do a new re install soon, because I had some issues with the way LM20 partitioned my harddrive.

I'll post the output of the terminal command when I have reinstalled LM20...
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Thanks for the update. take your time. I always have to think my way through when I slip up.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

When you do re-install, boot without the printer connected. Then plug it in and do

lpstat -a
Unplug and repeat.
--
Brian.
Cyberbleuet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cyberbleuet »

I have the same problem with a DCPL2550DW printer so back to my 19.03 which has no problem with my printer and scanner. :roll:

Salutation!
Cyberbleuet
HP - Ordinateur portable écran UHD 15.6, AMD Ryzen-3 7000 series, Radeon graphics, SSD 500G, 8G Ram, Linux Mint 21.2 cinnamon edge edition (kernel 6.6.1)

Infiniment libre
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I'm having the exact same problem with a newer HP Deskjet 3752 (3700 series). Mint 20/Cinnamon recognizes the printer which is connected via USB but refuses to print to it. Even if I try to print a test page a notification eventually comes up starting the printer may not be connected. Like the OP said, I've never had a problem with an HP printer with the 18 or 19 series. Clean install, turn on the printer and after the system automatically sets it up it just worked. Not so Mint 20.

Same with the scanner on the printer. Mint's Document Scanner app recognizes the scanner on the printer, sets it up but upon trying to scan it states it cannot connect to scanner.

Now I'm no stranger to setting up printers/scanners on Mint (or Manjaro or Ubuntu etc) but I never had a problem with HP printers. But I've tried every trick I know of and Linux Mint 20 simply won't print to an HP printer that's connected via USB.

Note: The printer/scanner works fine in Windows 10 and a live session of Linux Mint 19.3.

Not too sure where to go from here.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

kmb42vt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:51 am I'm having the exact same problem with a newer HP Deskjet 3752 (3700 series). Mint 20/Cinnamon recognizes the printer which is connected via USB but refuses to print to it.
Did you try and run the "trouble shoot" program, which can be found in System Preferences / Printers / Help / Troubleshoot? When I ran that troubleshoot program, afterwards suddenly a NETWORK printer was added. I dont have a network, but anyway that new "network" printer did work!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Yup, it didn't add a network printer. When I ran Help/Troubleshooting on my USB connected HP printer (debugging enabled), the output was as follows:

I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 427: Found interface conf=0, iface=1, altset=0, index=1
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 389: Active kernel driver on interface=1 ret=0
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 515: invalid claim_interface 7/1/2: Device or resource busy
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 427: Found interface conf=0, iface=0, altset=1, index=3
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 389: Active kernel driver on interface=0 ret=0
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 515: invalid claim_interface 7/1/4: Device or resource busy
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 427: Found interface conf=0, iface=2, altset=0, index=9
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 389: Active kernel driver on interface=2 ret=0
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 535: claimed ff/4/1 interface
E [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 770: invalid deviceid ret=-9: Resource temporarily unavailable
I [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] io/hpmud/musb.c 561: released ff/4/1 interface
E [07/Jul/2020:13:55:51] prnt/backend/hp.c 825: INFO: open device failed stat=12: hp:/usb/DeskJet_3700_series?serial=CN94K6D2JF06GZ; will retry in 30 seconds...
At that time I continued on with the troubleshooter and it came up with the final debug report which you can see here (will be available for 30 days):

https://pastebin.com/9nVL412S

Heh, not even this old tech head can interpret all that. Hopefully someone else can?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

A bit of an addendum here. A network printer was added when I ran 'hp-setup' in the terminal I believe**. Unfortunately, Mint 20 wouldn't print to the network printer either.

**I've run so many tests, tried so many tricks I know (plus all the research) over the past 3 days including installing the HP GUI that I'm no longer sure what added what. :shock:
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Do or did you have a network? Have you ever had a networkprinter before? I did not ever have a network, nor a networkprinter, but after running the trouble shoot program I suddenly had a "network" printer. Fortunately I could print with it. Too bad, that didnt work for you. I think there is some kind of HP printer bug in LM20, because I see lots of complaints from people with HP printers who suddenly cant print any more in LM20, while those HP printers would print in LM19. To be continued...
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:52 pm Do or did you have a network? Have you ever had a networkprinter before? I did not ever have a network, nor a networkprinter, but after running the trouble shoot program I suddenly had a "network" printer. Fortunately I could print with it. Too bad, that didnt work for you.
Network printer in this context means that the printer is set up to use a network URI. When the printer is plugged into a USB port the ippusbxd daemon starts. Check that this happens with

systemctl list-units ippusbxd
I think there is some kind of HP printer bug in LM20, because I see lots of complaints from people with HP printers who suddenly cant print any more in LM20, while those HP printers would print in LM19. To be continued...
There isn't any printer bug; it is the way things are meant to work now. But note:
  • ippusbxd commandeers the printer USB interface. There cannot be any printing and scanning via HPLIP software.
This shouldn't matter because both functions are available via the network URIs of ippusbxd.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”