Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Problem installing printer: Canon Laser Shot LBP 1120 [Solved]

Post by Roquefort »

Hi all,

I have been trying to install a canon printer without much progress. I've done research on google (and on the forum) but have not been able to find/implement the right solution. Would really appreciate any help you can provide.

I am fairly new to Linux and do not have experience with using the command prompt. I have been a windows user for my whole life. Please keep this in mind.

Some backround info:
  • system: Mint 19.1 Tessa 64bit
  • printer: Canon Laser Shot LBP 1120
So far I have tried the following:
  1. Downloaded the official canon driver from Canon's website, "CAPT Printer Driver for Linux V2.71"
  2. Extracted the folder from the downloaded file: linux-capt-drv-v271-uken.tar.gz
  3. From the folder ran the executable .deb packages: linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-capt_2.71-1_amd64.deb and cndrvcups-common_3.21-1_amd64.deb
  4. From the Mint start menu opened the "printers" tool
  5. Added new printer and searched manually for the driver from usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTJ.ppd
  6. Restarted computer and tried using the newly added printer, a printing job was added to the que but it disappeared after a few seconds and nothing was printed :(
  7. Also tried restarting the printer, did not help.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Roquefort on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem installing printer: Canon Laser Shot LBP 1120

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

Is your printer recognized when you try to print a file (i.e. does it listed in the print settings window)? If you open 'Printers' in the main menu (in xfce versions it is listed in the 'System' section) is it listed and enabled (confirmed with a tick)? How does your printer connect to your computer (e.g. is via usb, wifi etc.)?

Report back and you'll probably find someone will be able to help you get going with your printing.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

The printer is visible in the "Printers" menu and it is enabled. The printer is also recognised when I try to print a file. The printer connects through USB.

I'm happy to answer any further questions if that helps.
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

Sorry I missed noticing the number 4 item in your original post.

You say when you tried to print that an item appeared in the print queue and almost immediately disappeared. Can you confirm that it is definitely not listed in the print queue in 'Printers - localhost' under 'Printer' . 'View Print Queue' as suggested by the number 6 item in your original list. If there is nothing there than a print queue jam can be ruled out but if there is something there, you will need to remove it and try again.

You are not on the latest version of LM19 which is LM19.3. Whether updating to LM19.3 would be helpful, I don't know but it may be worth trying. It might also be worth uninstalling the printer driver and reinstalling it in the newer version. If you do this, try using the terminal after extracting the *.deb files to a suitable location.
The command is as follows without the speech marks: "sudo apt-get install" followed by a space and then the path to your deb files which might look something like "/home/your username/name of folder containing driver file/ then press the return key - you will likely need to enter your password before the command runs as sudo means running with root privileges.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

Hi Kester,

Thanks again for your help.

I updated to LM19.3. and tried printing after the update. The situation seems unchanged. After I start a print job the status of the job in the "document print status" window (can be opened from lower right hand corner) is "processing" for a few second and afterwards the job completely disappears from the list. When I open "view print que" nothing shows up. So I guess the problem is not a print que jam.

I could try reinstalling the printer driver as you suggested but how can I first uninstall the old version? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

P.s. Below is the download site for the driver in case it is of any help (e.g. the readme file). Unfortunately it's Canon's Finnish site.
https://www.canon.fi/support/consumer_p ... anguage=fi

P.p.s. When I run $ lsusb I get the below info which seems to suggest that at least the computer is identifying the printer in the USB port.
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04a9:262b Canon, Inc. LaserShot LBP-1120 Printer
The command $ lpinfo -v provides the following output if this is of any help:
network ipps
direct ccp
network ipp
network beh
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
direct hp
network lpd
network https
file cups-brf:/
network socket
network http
direct usb://Canon/LASER%20SHOT%20LBP-1120?serial=5AH1oI
direct hpfax
Finally, the output of $ sudo usb_printerid /dev/usb/lp0 is:
GET_DEVICE_ID string:
MFG:Canon;MDL:LASER SHOT LBP-1120;CMD:CAPT;VER:1.0;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon LASER SHOT LBP-1120
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

Here is the UK website for your printer driver: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... 20(64-bit) if that is more convenient.

You should be able to uninstall the driver with the terminal command 'sudo apt-get uninstall linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-capt_2.71-1_amd64.deb' without the quotes
and 'sudo apt-get uninstall cndrvcups-common_3.21-1_amd64.deb' also without the quotes.
You can copy and paste commands into the terminal.
Hopefully, if this removes the driver files, the fresh install of the drivers using the terminal may do the trick. If it doesn't, we may need to enlist the help of one of this forum section's experts.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

Thanks again. Unfortunately the uninstall commands return E: Invalid operation uninstall.

I also tried using the whole path to the deb. files which I initially executed but that did not help either (i.e. 'sudo apt-get uninstall home/USER/Desktop/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-capt_2.71-1_amd64.deb').
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

Sorry about that - it should have been 'remove' not 'uninstall' or you could use 'purge' to be extra thorough- a temporary senior moment and lack of concentration on my part. An alternative method would be to try the Synaptic package manager. Open the manager (it's in the System section of the Main Menu on my system), type in your password if/when asked then click on 'Search' and type in the first few letters of the driver name and start the search. If Synaptic finds the driver (you may have to scroll down the window to find it), highlight it, right click it and select mark for complete removal. Do this for both drivers and click 'Apply'.
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

UPDATE:

Thinking about things, I believe the the uninstall information I gave you is to remove the driver installer and not the driver. Removing drivers would be done through lpadmin commands and I am neither competent enough nor knowledgeable enough to give guidance. You could try installing the driver over the top of the existing one but you may prefer to wait for help from a real expert. I'll pm someone who helped me with my printer / scanner problem recently and hope he steps in to aid you.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

Thanks for your patience Kester.

I was able to uninstall the driver (or driver installer) through Synaptic package manager before reading your latest reply.

I then tried reinstalling the drivers through the command prompt but got the following errors:
~$ sudo apt-get install home/MyUserName/Desktop/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-common_3.21-1_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for MyUserName:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package home/MyUserName/Desktop/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian
~$ sudo apt-get install home/MyUserName/Desktop/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-capt_2.71-1_amd64.deb
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package home/MyUserName/Desktop/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian
I reviewed the path (home/...) several times and could not find any errors in it. Not sure what is the problem.

Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

I've sent a pm to brian_p who was a considerable help to me so I hope he will come to your aid.

Re: your installation error - just to be sure, in the path you have shown for the installer, is '/MyUserName/' the actual name of the folder in the path or have you just used that to keep that information private in this public thread? I ask because if you used '/MyUserName/' in error when you tried to install rather than the actual folder name, that would produce that kind of error. You could use Synaptic to install the driver: search for the driver by typing the first few letters in the Synaptic search box, scroll to the driver, highlight and right click it, click 'Mark for installation' and then click 'Apply'.

You may also find this link helpful: http://localhost:631/. The 'Home' tab window includes 'Command-Line Printing and Options' under 'CUPS for users 231' which lists various terminal commands including one for removing a named printer. The 'Administration' tab gives options for printers recognized as being installed on your system. It's worth browsing the link but wait to see if brian_p, or any of the other experts, can offer any advice before experimenting.

Cheers.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

The installation of the Canon CAPT package described in the first post seems fine and not too dissimilar to that described at https://wiki.debian.org/Canon. However, I would follow the extraction and Method 1 procedure described at that link to reinstall the package. Obviously, some adaptation to the filenames in the CAPT package is needed.

This reinstallation should go smoothly. Then you need the PPD for the printer. Try

Code: Select all

lpinfo -m | grep -i lpp1120
to get its name. I do not remember what it starts with but it should end in .ppd.

Now substitute for PPD in

lpadmin -p lbp1120 -v usb://Canon/LASER%20SHOT%20LBP-1120?serial=5AH1oI -E -m PPD
and test printing with

lp -d lbp1120 /etc/nsswitch.conf
--
Brian.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

Kester wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 am
Re: your installation error - just to be sure, in the path you have shown for the installer, is '/MyUserName/' the actual name of the folder in the path or have you just used that to keep that information private in this public thread?
I the actual path I used contains my real username. I replaced it in the post with '/MyUserName/' only for privacy reasons.

I have now reinstalled the driver as suggested by Brian. I used Method 1 described in the link: https://wiki.debian.org/Canon. The installation process went smoothly without any errors.

I then used the command

but it did not producde any kind of output.

I then tried

lpinfo -m
which produced a long list of items. From the list I was able to identify the following which I believe are relevant for my situation:

CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTJ.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
lsb/usr/CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTJ.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
lsb/usr/CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
I then tried the following:

lpadmin -p lbp1120 -v usb://Canon/LASER%20SHOT%20LBP-1120?serial=5AH1oI -E -m CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd
But nothing happened. Not even an error message. There is probably some problem with this command.

I also tried printing with

Again, a printing job first appeared but it disappeared from the queue after a few seconds. Nothing was actually printed.

I noted that after running the commands above a new printer titled "lbp1120" had appeared to the Printers menu in applications. Also, there should be no problem with the printer itself as it functions without problem with a Windows computer.
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Roquefort,

Don't despair, all that information you are getting is providing clues to what the problem is. I'm not qualified to interpret but I'm sure Brian will be back and probably ask you to do further tests before getting you going. Hang on in there.
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Roquefort wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:07 am

I then used the command

but it did not producde any kind of output.
A typo. lpp---->lbp
I then tried

lpinfo -m
which produced a long list of items. From the list I was able to identify the following which I believe are relevant for my situation:

CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTJ.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
lsb/usr/CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTJ.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
lsb/usr/CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd Canon LBP1120 CAPT ver.1.5
I'd have used lsb/usr/CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd for the -m option.
I then tried the following:

lpadmin -p lbp1120 -v usb://Canon/LASER%20SHOT%20LBP-1120?serial=5AH1oI -E -m CNCUPSLBP1120CAPTK.ppd
But nothing happened. Not even an error message. There is probably some problem with this command.
This is ok. When the command is successful there isn't any output.
I also tried printing with

Again, a printing job first appeared but it disappeared from the queue after a few seconds. Nothing was actually printed.

I noted that after running the commands above a new printer titled "lbp1120" had appeared to the Printers menu in applications. Also, there should be no problem with the printer itself as it functions without problem with a Windows computer.
Your final remark indicates that the USB cable is fine. The filtering system also appears to function correctly, but we can easily check that with

sudo cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/lbp1120.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > out.dat 2>log.txt
Please post log.txt here. You may view it yourself with

less log.txt
--
Brian.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

Thanks Brian and Kester.

It's surprisingly difficult to get a printer working with Linux but I guess you learn along the way.

I now ran

sudo cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/lbp1120.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > out.dat 2>log.txt
and

less log.txt
As a result I got the following output

cupsfilter: File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt" permissions OK (040755/uid=0/gid=0).
cupsfilter: File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/commandtops" permissions OK (040755/uid=0/gid=0).
DEBUG: argv[0]="cupsfilter"
DEBUG: argv[1]="1"
DEBUG: argv[2]="root"
DEBUG: argv[3]="nsswitch.conf"
DEBUG: argv[4]="1"
DEBUG: argv[5]=""
DEBUG: argv[6]="/etc/nsswitch.conf"
DEBUG: envp[0]="<CFProcessPath>"
DEBUG: envp[1]="CONTENT_TYPE=text/plain"
DEBUG: envp[2]="CUPS_DATADIR=/usr/share/cups"
DEBUG: envp[3]="CUPS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/cups/fonts"
DEBUG: envp[4]="CUPS_SERVERBIN=/usr/lib/cups"
DEBUG: envp[5]="CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups"
DEBUG: envp[6]="LANG=en_US.UTF8"
DEBUG: envp[7]="PATH=/usr/lib/cups/filter:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"
DEBUG: envp[8]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/lbp1120.ppd"
DEBUG: envp[9]="PRINTER_INFO=cupsfilter"
DEBUG: envp[10]="PRINTER_LOCATION=Unknown"
DEBUG: envp[11]="PRINTER=cupsfilter"
DEBUG: envp[12]="RIP_MAX_CACHE=128m"
DEBUG: envp[13]="USER=root"
DEBUG: envp[14]="CHARSET=utf-8"
DEBUG: envp[15]="FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE=application/vnd.cups-postscript"
INFO: texttopdf (PID 3625) started.
INFO: pdftopdf (PID 3626) started.
INFO: pdftops (PID 3627) started.
INFO: pstocapt (PID 3628) started.
DEBUG: pdftops - copying to temp print file "/tmp/00e2b5f2e6661"
DEBUG: pstocapt start.
DEBUG: Page = 595x842; 14,14 to 581,828
DEBUG: pdftopdf: Last filter determined by the PPD: pstocapt; FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE: application/vnd.cups-postscript => pdftopdf will not log pages in page_log.
INFO: texttopdf (PID 3625) exited with no errors.
DEBUG: Printer make and model: Canon LBP1120
DEBUG: Running command line for pstops: pstops 1 root nsswitch.conf 1 
DEBUG: Using image rendering resolution 600 dpi
DEBUG: Running command line for gs: gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER -dNOMEDIAATTRS -sDEVICE=ps2write -dShowAcroForm -sOUTPUTFILE=%stdout -dLanguageLevel=3 -r600 -dCompressFonts=false -dNoT3CCITT -dNOINTERPOLATE -c 'save pop' -f /tmp/00e2b5f2e6661
INFO: pdftopdf (PID 3626) exited with no errors.
DEBUG: Started filter gs (PID 3630)
DEBUG: Started filter pstops (PID 3631)
DEBUG: slow_collate=0, slow_duplex=0, slow_order=0
DEBUG: Before copy_comments - %!PS-Adobe-3.0
DEBUG: %!PS-Adobe-3.0
DEBUG: %%BoundingBox: 0 0 595 842
DEBUG: %%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 595.00 842.00
DEBUG: %%Creator: GPL Ghostscript 926 (ps2write)
DEBUG: %%LanguageLevel: 2
DEBUG: %%CreationDate: D:20200728203825+03'00'
DEBUG: %%Pages: 1
DEBUG: %%EndComments
DEBUG: Before copy_prolog - %%BeginProlog
DEBUG: Before copy_setup - %%Page: 1 1
DEBUG: Before page loop - %%Page: 1 1
DEBUG: Copying page 1...
DEBUG: pagew = 566.7, pagel = 813.7
DEBUG: bboxx = 0, bboxy = 0, bboxw = 595, bboxl = 842
DEBUG: PageLeft = 14.2, PageRight = 580.8
DEBUG: PageTop = 827.8, PageBottom = 14.2
DEBUG: PageWidth = 595.0, PageLength = 842.0
DEBUG: PID 3630 (gs) exited with no errors.
DEBUG: Wrote 1 pages...
DEBUG: PID 3631 (pstops) exited with no errors.
INFO: pdftops (PID 3627) exited with no errors.
/bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/captfilter: not found
GPL Ghostscript 9.26: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
INFO: pstocapt (PID 3628) exited with no errors.
(END)
Does this tell you anything about the potential problem?
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/captfilter: not found
GPL Ghostscript 9.26: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
Give us

ls -l  /usr/bin/captfilter
--
Brian.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

The command returned:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 56944 Apr  7  2017 /usr/bin/captfilter
brian_p
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brian_p »

Roquefort wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:09 am
The command returned:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 56944 Apr  7  2017 /usr/bin/captfilter
Ah, I see what /usr/bin/captfilter: not found means. We are not being told that captfilter cannot be found but that captfilter itself cannot find something. Let' see what it may be.

ldd /usr/bin/captfilter

linux-gate.so.1 (0xb7fa0000)
libpopt.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpopt.so.0 (0xb7f7a000)                                                 
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb7d9c000)                                                           
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fa2000)
The second and third items are 32-bit libraries. You have a 64-bit system. You need to install libc6:i386 and libpopt:i386. To start you off, look at this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1023962 ... 04-4-64bit

It would be good to know how you go on and what you end up doing.
--
Brian.
Roquefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roquefort »

I took a look at the link you provided and ran:

$ sudo apt-get install libc6:i386
I got the following output:

Building dependency tree       
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  gir1.2-mate-desktop gir1.2-mate-panel libllvm7 libllvm9
  linux-headers-4.15.0-54 linux-headers-4.15.0-54-generic
  linux-headers-4.15.0-64 linux-headers-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-headers-4.15.0-91 linux-headers-4.15.0-91-generic
  linux-headers-4.15.0-96 linux-headers-4.15.0-96-generic
  linux-image-4.15.0-54-generic linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-image-4.15.0-91-generic linux-image-4.15.0-96-generic
  linux-modules-4.15.0-54-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-modules-4.15.0-91-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-96-generic
  linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-54-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-91-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-96-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  gcc-8-base:i386 libgcc1:i386
Suggested packages:
  glibc-doc:i386 locales:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gcc-8-base:i386 libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2 617 kB of archives.
After this operation, 11,1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main i386 gcc-8-base i386 8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04 [18,7 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main i386 libgcc1 i386 1:8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04 [48,3 kB]
Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main i386 libc6 i386 2.27-3ubuntu1.2 [2 550 kB]
Fetched 2 617 kB in 1s (1 950 kB/s)     
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package gcc-8-base:i386.
(Reading database ... 579185 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gcc-8-base_8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04_i386.deb ...
Unpacking gcc-8-base:i386 (8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libgcc1:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../libgcc1_1%3a8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libgcc1:i386 (1:8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libc6:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../libc6_2.27-3ubuntu1.2_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libc6:i386 (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...
Setting up gcc-8-base:i386 (8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) ...
Setting up libgcc1:i386 (1:8.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04) ...
Setting up libc6:i386 (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...

I guess this installed libc6:i386 but I still needed to install libpopt:i386. Didn't find anything on this from the link.

I tried

$ sudo apt-get install libpopt:i386
but only got

Building dependency tree       
E: Unable to locate package libpopt:i386
I then googled a little bit, modified the command and ran

$ sudo apt-get install libpopt0:i386
I got the following:

Building dependency tree       
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  gir1.2-mate-desktop gir1.2-mate-panel libllvm7 libllvm9
  linux-headers-4.15.0-54 linux-headers-4.15.0-54-generic
  linux-headers-4.15.0-64 linux-headers-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-headers-4.15.0-91 linux-headers-4.15.0-91-generic
  linux-headers-4.15.0-96 linux-headers-4.15.0-96-generic
  linux-image-4.15.0-54-generic linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-image-4.15.0-91-generic linux-image-4.15.0-96-generic
  linux-modules-4.15.0-54-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-modules-4.15.0-91-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-96-generic
  linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-54-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-64-generic
  linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-91-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-96-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libpopt0:i386
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 28,5 kB of archives.
After this operation, 123 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main i386 libpopt0 i386 1.16-11 [28,5 kB]
Fetched 28,5 kB in 0s (59,9 kB/s)          
Selecting previously unselected package libpopt0:i386.
(Reading database ... 579494 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libpopt0_1.16-11_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libpopt0:i386 (1.16-11) ...
Setting up libpopt0:i386 (1.16-11) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...
I then ran

$ ldd /usr/bin/captfilter
and got the below output

linux-gate.so.1 (0xf7f08000)
	libpopt.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpopt.so.0 (0xf7ed9000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf7cfd000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f09000)
So I believe I now have both libc6:i386 and libpopt0:i386 installed. Hope these are the right packages.

Finally, I ran the previous codes once more:

sudo cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/lbp1120.ppd -m printer/foo -e /etc/nsswitch.conf > out.dat 2>log2.txt
and

less log2.txt
The result was:

cupsfilter: File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt" permissions OK (040755/uid=0/gid=0).
cupsfilter: File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/commandtops" permissions OK (040755/uid=0/gid=0).
DEBUG: argv[0]="cupsfilter"
DEBUG: argv[1]="1"
DEBUG: argv[2]="root"
DEBUG: argv[3]="nsswitch.conf"
DEBUG: argv[4]="1"
DEBUG: argv[5]=""
DEBUG: argv[6]="/etc/nsswitch.conf"
DEBUG: envp[0]="<CFProcessPath>"
DEBUG: envp[1]="CONTENT_TYPE=text/plain"
DEBUG: envp[2]="CUPS_DATADIR=/usr/share/cups"
DEBUG: envp[3]="CUPS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/cups/fonts"
DEBUG: envp[4]="CUPS_SERVERBIN=/usr/lib/cups"
DEBUG: envp[5]="CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups"
DEBUG: envp[6]="LANG=en_US.UTF8"
DEBUG: envp[7]="PATH=/usr/lib/cups/filter:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"
DEBUG: envp[8]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/lbp1120.ppd"
DEBUG: envp[9]="PRINTER_INFO=cupsfilter"
DEBUG: envp[10]="PRINTER_LOCATION=Unknown"
DEBUG: envp[11]="PRINTER=cupsfilter"
DEBUG: envp[12]="RIP_MAX_CACHE=128m"
DEBUG: envp[13]="USER=root"
DEBUG: envp[14]="CHARSET=utf-8"
DEBUG: envp[15]="FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE=application/vnd.cups-postscript"
INFO: texttopdf (PID 2235) started.
INFO: pdftopdf (PID 2236) started.
INFO: pdftops (PID 2237) started.
INFO: pstocapt (PID 2238) started.
DEBUG: pdftopdf: Last filter determined by the PPD: pstocapt; FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE: application/vnd.cups-postscript => pdftopdf will not log pages in page_log.
DEBUG: pdftops - copying to temp print file "/tmp/008bd5f2ef6cd"
DEBUG: pstocapt start.
INFO: texttopdf (PID 2235) exited with no errors.
DEBUG: Printer make and model: Canon LBP1120
DEBUG: Running command line for pstops: pstops 1 root nsswitch.conf 1 
DEBUG: Using image rendering resolution 600 dpi
DEBUG: Running command line for gs: gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER -dNOMEDIAATTRS -sDEVICE=ps2write -dShowAcroForm -sOUTPUTFILE=%stdout -dLanguageLevel=3 -r600 -dCompre
ssFonts=false -dNoT3CCITT -dNOINTERPOLATE -c 'save pop' -f /tmp/008bd5f2ef6cd
DEBUG: Started filter gs (PID 2239)
DEBUG: Started filter pstops (PID 2240)
INFO: pdftopdf (PID 2236) exited with no errors.
DEBUG: slow_collate=0, slow_duplex=0, slow_order=0
DEBUG: Before copy_comments - %!PS-Adobe-3.0
DEBUG: %!PS-Adobe-3.0
DEBUG: %%BoundingBox: 0 0 595 842
DEBUG: %%HiResBoundingBox: 0 0 595.00 842.00
DEBUG: %%Creator: GPL Ghostscript 926 (ps2write)
DEBUG: %%LanguageLevel: 2
DEBUG: %%CreationDate: D:20200801115146+03'00'
DEBUG: %%Pages: 1
DEBUG: %%EndComments
DEBUG: Before copy_prolog - %%BeginProlog
DEBUG: Before copy_setup - %%Page: 1 1
DEBUG: Before page loop - %%Page: 1 1
DEBUG: Copying page 1...
DEBUG: pagew = 566.7, pagel = 813.7
DEBUG: bboxx = 0, bboxy = 0, bboxw = 595, bboxl = 842
DEBUG: PageLeft = 14.2, PageRight = 580.8
DEBUG: PageTop = 827.8, PageBottom = 14.2
DEBUG: PageWidth = 595.0, PageLength = 842.0
DEBUG: Wrote 1 pages...
DEBUG: PID 2240 (pstops) exited with no errors.
DEBUG: PID 2239 (gs) exited with no errors.
INFO: pdftops (PID 2237) exited with no errors.
INFO: pstocapt (PID 2238) exited with no errors.
(END)
At least there are no errors in the output anymore.

I also tried printing again. Previously the printing job disappeared from the job queue within a few seconds. Now the job stays in the queue with the status "processing". However, nothing happens.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”