[SOLVED] Help Deciding What Drivers and packages I need to download

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Help Deciding What Drivers and packages I need to download

Post by JTemple »

I am running on Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3. I have downloaded the All In One Package which seems to be for the scanner. I can not tell which driver utility package I should download. Can anyone assist with this?
Selection_042.png
Selection_043.jpg
Selection_045.jpg
Last edited by JTemple on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Help Deciding What Drivers and packages I need to download

Post by brian_p »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:44 pm
I am running on Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3. I have downloaded the All In One Package which seems to be for the scanner. I can not tell which driver utility package I should download. Can anyone assist with this?
I do not intend to work with your All In One Package. Please give the outputs from

Code: Select all

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp

driverless
when the device is on the network (ethernet or wireless).
--
Brian.
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

@brian_p I should note here that the All-In-One Package needs no explanation and comes with install code and instruction. My only confusion is with regards to the printer utility. Also, the printer connected to my machine right now is the old one, Artisan 835. I have a new one on the way, an XP-7100 and I am just getting ready to install it when it arrives. It looks Like I may need to attach the new printer before I get help with the utilities.
Last edited by JTemple on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:18 pm
@brian_p I should note here that the All-In-One Package needs no explanation and comes with install code and instruction. My only confusion is with regards to the printer utility. Also, the printer connected to my machine right now is the old one, Artisan 835. I have a new one on the way, an XP-7100 and I am just getting ready to install it when it arrives. It looks Like I may need to attach the new printer before I get help with the utilities.

Hello JTemple,

I may have completely misunderstood what you are after; I thought you possessed an XP-7100 and were wanting to install it. By all means use the All-In-One Package (I wouldn't). AFAIA, the printer utility package is an optional extra and not required.
--
Brian.
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

brian_p , Why do you say you wouldn't use the All-In-One package? Also, are you saying that package would provide all that is required to run the printer? If it seems odd that I'm lining up all my ducks, it's because my business depends on the computer & printer. I run a mail order operation and If my printer is out of commission so is my business.
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:49 pm
brian_p , Why do you say you wouldn't use the All-In-One package?
Speaking in general: I prefer the simplicity of driverless printing and it's ease of setup. Also, printer drivers will eventually cease to work with CUPS, so driverless printing is future proof. Having said that, the choice of printing software is up to the user.
Also, are you saying that package would provide all that is required to run the printer? If it seems odd that I'm lining up all my ducks, it's because my business depends on the computer & printer. I run a mail order operation and If my printer is out of commission so is my business.
Running a driver-driven and a driverless print queue side-by-side would allow a comparison to be made.
--
Brian.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I have had some issues with driverless printing. Notably getting double sided to work.

But I agree, if driverless can work, stick to it. Less problems when upgrading.
brian_p
Level 6
Level 6

Post by brian_p »

mr_raider wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:40 pm
I have had some issues with driverless printing. Notably getting double sided to work.
Do you mean it doesn't work at all with all applications? If so, that would be a bug, quite a serious one IMO.
--
Brian.
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

OK, I have the new printer and scanner set up and working. Now, how do I remove all the stuff from the old printer. (Artisan 835) Also I think I added a useless driver because the first one appeared to fail. Is it possible to remove all the extraneous stuff from PC.
JTemple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTemple »

I have 2 new problems: 1. When I try to check Ink Levels I get " CUPS server error" "'Client-Error-Document Format- Not Supported'."
2. After printing a doc the printer shows constant printing on the display panel and just hangs there. I must shout off the printer to get it back to "Home". There is a cancel button but it fails to cancel the hanging "printing" Any idea how to fix this?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”