Got Brother MFC-L2710DW to print and scan on LM 20

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Santiago777
Level 1
Level 1

Got Brother MFC-L2710DW to print and scan on LM 20

Post by Santiago777 »

I could not get my Brother MFC-L2710DW to scan after installing LM20 and downloading the Brother drivers. Here are the steps I used after much trial and error to get Brother MFC-L2710DW to print and scan:

Go to the Brother driver download site:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... w_us_eu_as

Within that site choose Linux and Linux (deb) then choose OK.

Now, choose to download only the printer driver and the scanner driver. Do not download the Driver Install Tool.

After downloading, go to your downloads folder to look at the file names of the drivers you just downloaded.

Open the terminal and do these commands (insert the file names of the drivers after the "--force-all" command):

cd Downloads

sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan4-0.4.9-1.amd64.deb

(Please note that your Brother printer and scanner drivers may have a different file name.)

sudo apt remove ippusbxd

Plug in the Brother MFC-L2710DW printer/scanner via USB.

At this point I was able to open simple-scan and I could scan. However, I could not print even though the Printers window (Menu button -> System Settings -> Printers) was showing “Brother MFC-L2710DW” as a printer.

Right-click the “Brother MFC-L2710DW” icon within the Printers window and delete that printer. Click the “Add” printer button, choose "Brother MFC-L2710DW...." and follow the installation “wizard”. Print a test page.

Many thanks to the thread titled "Brother MFC-L2750 no longer scans after upgrade to Mint 20 - Solved" in which nkoropoff and brian_p saw this through.

I am exclusively a monkey-see monkey-do kind of guy when it comes to Linux. This is my first time contributing to a help forum so please excuse me if the terminal commands I listed above are not effective, not efficient, or if I left something out. Again, this result was based on trial and error.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Grarea
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Got Brother MFC-L2710DW to print and scan on LM 20

Post by Grarea »

Thank you ever so ever so ever so much for putting this up.
It got me up and running really quick.
Ryzen 5 4300GE | 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 |
TX550M | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 | Evo 860 1TB |
Aerocool 500 case Noctua NH-P1
stringfellow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stringfellow »

I also wanted to say thanks. This just worked like a charm in 19.3.

One question. The ' sudo apt remove ippusbxd'...necessary? Why?

Thanks again.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

stringfellow wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 pm I also wanted to say thanks. This just worked like a charm in 19.3.

The Mint thread referenced by Santiago777 is at viewtopic.php?f=51&t=325340
  • ippusbxd is provided by default on Mint 20 (but not on Mint 19.3).
  • ippusbxd is intended to allow auto-setup of USB devices manufactured after 2012 (approximately).
  • ippusbxd hasn't any affect on pre-2012 devices.
  • ippusbxd caused problems on Mint 20. Even its author classifies it as rubbish :).
  • ippusbxd was replaced on Mint 20.1 by the very, very much better ipp-usb
  • ipp-usb is not provided by default. It has to be manually installed on Mint 21/22.
  • ipp-usb does auto-setup of USB devices manufactured after 2012. It has been shown to work consistently for many users.
  • ipp-usb replaces vendor (Brother, HP etc) drives for many post-2012 devices
  • ipp-usb makes vendor drivers, including HPLIP, redundant.
  • Venor drivers will not work when ipp-usb (or ippusbxd) is on the system. This is due to a hardware technical limitation to do with the operation of USB.
Last edited by brian_p on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Brian.
stringfellow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stringfellow »

Wow this is really informative thanks.

In my 19.3 ippusbxd was installed and enabled so I removed it via Software Manager. Just letting folks know.

Thanks again.

brian_p wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:26 am
stringfellow wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 pm I also wanted to say thanks. This just worked like a charm in 19.3.

The Mint thread referenced by Santiago777 is at viewtopic.php?f=51&t=325340
  • ippusbxd is provided by default on Mint 20 (but not on Mint 19.3).
  • ippusbxd is intended to allow auto-setup of USB devices manufactured after 2012 (approximately).
  • ippusbxd hasn't any affect on pre-2012 devices.
  • ippusbxd caused problems on Mint 20. Even its author classifies it as rubbish :).
  • ippusbxd was replaced on Mint 21 by the very, very much better ipp-usb
  • ipp-usb is not provided by default. It has to be manually installed on Mint 21/22.
  • ipp-usb does auto-setup of USB devices manufactured after 2012. It has been shown to work consistently for many users.
  • ipp-usb replaces vendor (Brother, HP etc) drives for many post-2012 devices
  • ipp-usb makes vendor drivers, including HPLIP, redundant.
  • Venor drivers will not work when ipp-usb (or ippusbxd) is on the system. This is due to a hardware technical limitation to do with the operation of USB.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

stringfellow wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:09 am Wow this is really informative thanks.
Thank you.
In my 19.3 ippusbxd was installed and enabled so I removed it via Software Manager. Just letting folks know.
I was working from memory; the bottom line is always to purge ippusbxd no matter how it got there. This will remove a potential source of heartache. For example, I think it is still on the system after an upgrade from Mint 20 to Mint 21/22 is done.

Just a further technical point. The actual printer auto-setup with ipp-usb is carried out by cups-browsed, which is on the system by default. Auto-setup with ipp-usb and cups-browsed is presently a feature of Debian 11 and Ubuntu 21.04 for modern devices. It is likely to become a feature on a future Mint.
--
Brian.
hi_way_man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hi_way_man »

At this point I was able to open simple-scan and I could scan.
Where do I find simple-scan? I typed in "Simple" in the start window with no results. <- This is my way of indicating that I used the search function. “Simple” yielded nothing. “Scan” resulted in …

Document Scanner 3.36.3 can "find" my MFC-2710DW, but I cannot scan to it.

I can print to my printer, but I cannot scan in Linux.
Last edited by hi_way_man on Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

it could be called
Document Scanner
if you check in your Menu options: there is a search function there: do try it .........

typing "Simple .. " yielded Document Scanner for me; my lucky day;

I think brian would suggest

Code: Select all

sudo apt install sane-airscan

if you do that; and reboot; can you now scan?

if you can scan, many find xsane to be a very good scanning programme: it is in Synaptic; or do

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xsane

Return to “Printers & Scanners”