Before you post please read this
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Document Scanner won't start

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

Hi All,
Hope I can get some help with this..
Document Scanner doesn't start now, worked before OK, it just looks like taking long time to load, then nothing, no notice.
Scanner is Brothers Printer/Scanner MFC-L2685DW connected via WiFi. It Prints OK.
Document Scanner before always started and then looked for the scanner and found it. It's not even starting now.

I have opened Document Scanner in a text editor it Looks OK ...
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Document Scanner
Comment=Make a digital copy of your photos and documents
# Translators: Search terms to find this application. Do NOT translate or localize the semicolons! The list MUST also end with a semicolon!
Keywords=scan;scanner;flatbed;adf;
Exec=simple-scan
# Translators: Do NOT translate or transliterate this text (this is an icon file name)!
Icon=org.gnome.SimpleScan
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Graphics;Scanning;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=simple-scan

I last used the Document Scanner on 10/20/2020. Had no issue then.
My System is LM 20 Ulyana

Tried uninstall of Simple Scan then reinstall, same thing, says Starting Document Scanner then goes away.
Uninstalled again, installed Xsane, same thing. Noticed it works with Gimp which I have installed recently but not sure if before or after using Document Scanner last time.
Uninstalled Gimp and Xsane. Rebooted, installed Document Scanner again, same problem.
Thanks in advance,
OtG
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Document Scanner won't start

Post by LanceM »

Go to your printers menu and print a network report. From it verify the IP address
You likely need to uninstall the Brother packages
Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
This will list all installed files. Start at the top with

brscan-skey
and work you way down, uninstalling each one with

sudo dpkg -P
Example:

sudo dpkg -P brscan-skey
Once done, verify status with:

sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
Then run

sudo apt clean
Now go here and download the .deb Driver Install Tool to your Desktop:https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... _us&os=128
Run the following commands:

cd Desktop && gunzip -v ~/Desktop/linux-brprinter*
Then run:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/linux-brprinter*
Enter model number:

MFC-L2685DW
Answer

Y
for yes to all except print test page. Answer

N 
for that
At the question about the Device URI answer

Y

Eventually it will come to a list of numbers with options, select the correct number for Auto, type it in and press Enter
Eventually it will ask for your IP address. Enter it exactly as it is from the print out.
Eventually it will tell you to press enter again and then you should be done. Reboot your PC and test the printer and scanner.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

Did all, still same result. Document Scanner doesn't start.
Prints OK still.
OtG
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

Get this now ..
donald@donald-SX2110G:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
[sudo] password for donald:
ii brscan-skey 0.3.1-1 amd64 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan4 0.4.9-1 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
ii mfcl2685dwcupswrapper:i386 3.2.1-1 i386 Brother MFC-L2685DW CUPS wrapper driver
ii mfcl2685dwlpr:i386 3.2.1-1 i386 Brother MFC-L2685DW LPR driver
donald@donald-SX2110G:~$
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

And your IP address from the printer is correct? This site has a somewhat different approach: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=1
Last edited by LanceM on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Oscar,

Hopefully, Lance, who is more experienced than I am, will trace and find a solution to your problem. However, if the problem is within 'Document Scanner' and its dependencies, I wonder what Lance will think of you trying this:
If Document Scanner has been upset by a recent update, it might be worth typing 'sudo apt-get update' into the terminal. The terminal window will then fill with several lines of text which you can scroll through. Look out for any that suggest an error by starting with something like 'W: Failed to fetch package:' etc. and 'E: Some index files failed to load' etc. If you do get any such errors, type these commands in turn into the terminal: 'sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*' and 'sudo apt-get update' to rebuild the 'lists' folder's contents.

If Lance thinks it safe to try, then go ahead. Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it shouldn't do any harm.

Cheers.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

If Lance thinks it safe to try, then go ahead. Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it shouldn't do any harm.
I truly appreciate the politeness. The only reason I know anything about Brother printers, is because I've installed several models on my and my friends machines. Sometimes the IP address changes due to the provider doing it on their end. I've had this happen with Centurylink 3 times in the last year. Each time they updated my profile. I had to do the above uninstall and reinstall each time. Simple-Scan could be broken, although it launches okay. He can look at dependencies with:

sudo apt show simple-scan
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

LanceM wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:52 pm
I truly appreciate the politeness. The only reason I know anything about Brother printers, is because I've installed several models on my and my friends machines. Sometimes the IP address changes due to the provider doing it on their end. I've had this happen with Centurylink 3 times in the last year. Each time they updated my profile. I had to do the above uninstall and reinstall each time. Simple-Scan could be broken, although it launches okay. He can look at dependencies with:

sudo apt show simple-scan

donald@donald-SX2110G:~$ sudo apt show simple-scan
Package: simple-scan
Version: 3.36.3-0ubuntu0.20.04.0
Priority: optional
Section: gnome
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Original-Maintainer: Jörg Frings-Fürst <debian@jff.email>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 1,327 kB
Depends: default-dbus-session-bus | dbus-session-bus, xdg-utils, dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend, libc6 (>= 2.14), libcairo2 (>= 1.4.10), libcolord2 (>= 0.1.10), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.43.92), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.21.5), libgusb2 (>= 0.2.2), libpackagekit-glib2-18 (>= 0.9.4), libsane (>= 1.0.24), libwebp6 (>= 0.5.1), libwebpmux3 (>= 0.6.1-2), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Homepage: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/simple-scan
Task: ubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, ubuntustudio-desktop, ubuntukylin-desktop, ubuntu-mate-desktop, ubuntu-budgie-desktop
Download-Size: 180 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
Description: Simple Scanning Utility
 Simple Scan is an easy-to-use application, designed to let users
 connect their scanner and quickly have the image/document in an
 appropriate format.
 Simple Scan is basically a frontend for SANE - which is the same
 backend as XSANE uses. This means that all existing scanners will
 work and the interface is well tested.

N: There is 1 additional record. Please use the '-a' switch to see it
Thanks for the reply both of you guys, this issue is driving me crazy.
I know my IP for the printer is OK, I've set it as a reserved one in my modem/router.
I now have two printers installed now, it looks like (when I print from text editor, they show up)
Brother - MCF-L2685DW
MFCL2685DW

I also noticed than when I purged those files, I saw something about not deleting folders because they were not empty.
I'm thinking of trying to purge all them again, and check that all the folders are deleted before re-installing.
What ya think?
OtG
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Oscar,

Multiple versions of a printer showing is not abnormal. The different versions could relate to usb connection, wifi connection or network etc.. When your scanning software works, you will find several options but only options relating to the connection type will work. By the way, have you tried any other scanning software (apologies if I've missed any reference you may have made earlier)? For example have you installed and run Xsane? It is more complicated than Document Scanner but can be used in a basic way if desired. If you do try it and it works then it will indicate that there is a problem with Document Scanner. If it starts and then disappears, as does Document Scanner, then it looks like and issue with drivers.

Again, apologies if I have missed earlier reference, but have you installed both the printer and the scanner drivers? The Brother website, https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... _us&os=128 references separate drivers for the scanner.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

I know my IP for the printer is OK, I've set it as a reserved one in my modem/router.
I still think you should print the network report from the printer itself to positively verify the IP it is using. My brother uses an IP that is off by one number from what the modem says. Scan only works if that IP is used.
You can try this to check dependencies

sudo apt check
And this to (maybe fix)

sudo dpkg --configure -a
I doubt any are broken.
As for the multiple printers, I usually remove them using the Printers app in the menu then uninstall with the Terminal. Restart the PC and verify they didn't reappear (if they any did note the exact name and then reinstall with the Terminal., then set the new one that shows up as the default.
Another thing that can be done is a full uninstall, then a factory reset from the printer's menu. Once that's done you reconnect it to the network using the printer's menu and your modem's WPS button. Print a new network report to verify the address and reinstall the printer from scratch again.
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

LanceM wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:50 am
I still think you should print the network report from the printer itself to positively verify the IP it is using. My brother uses an IP that is off by one number from what the modem says. Scan only works if that IP is used.
You can try this to check dependencies

sudo apt check
And this to (maybe fix)

sudo dpkg --configure -a
I doubt any are broken.
As for the multiple printers, I usually remove them using the Printers app in the menu then uninstall with the Terminal. Restart the PC and verify they didn't reappear (if they any did note the exact name and then reinstall with the Terminal., then set the new one that shows up as the default.
Another thing that can be done is a full uninstall, then a factory reset from the printer's menu. Once that's done you reconnect it to the network using the printer's menu and your modem's WPS button. Print a new network report to verify the address and reinstall the printer from scratch again.
"I still think you should print the network report from the printer itself to positively verify the IP it is using."_Looked at the display on the printer, it's what I think it should be. It does print fine. Only one connection, via WiFi. Seems to me that Document Scanner should start, even if it can't connect to a scanner.

donald@donald-SX2110G:~$ sudo apt check
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
donald@donald-SX2110G:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
donald@donald-SX2110G:~$ 
Still see two printers.
OtG
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

Kester wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:26 am
Hi Oscar,

Multiple versions of a printer showing is not abnormal. The different versions could relate to usb connection, wifi connection or network etc.. When your scanning software works, you will find several options but only options relating to the connection type will work. By the way, have you tried any other scanning software (apologies if I've missed any reference you may have made earlier)? For example have you installed and run Xsane? It is more complicated than Document Scanner but can be used in a basic way if desired. If you do try it and it works then it will indicate that there is a problem with Document Scanner. If it starts and then disappears, as does Document Scanner, then it looks like and issue with drivers.

Again, apologies if I have missed earlier reference, but have you installed both the printer and the scanner drivers? The Brother website, https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... _us&os=128 references separate drivers for the scanner.
"The different versions could relate to usb connection, wifi connection or network etc.. "_Only one connection via WiFi.

"For example have you installed and run Xsane? "_Yes, it would not start also. Went through this in post to Software & Applications
Titled "Document Scanner stopped working" Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:00 pm link -> viewtopic.php?f=47&t=334776

"Again, apologies if I have missed earlier reference, but have you installed both the printer and the scanner drivers? "_Yes, did this from post "by LanceM » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 pm"

Will look into more this weekend,
thanks for the help guys.
Think it not starting doesn't have anything to do with the scanner and finding it? What happens if you start this program and don't have a scanner?
Something to think about.
OtG
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

oscarTheGrouch wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:17 am
Think it not starting doesn't have anything to do with the scanner and finding it? What happens if you start this program and don't have a scanner?
If you have no scanner connected then this is what you get with Simple Scan/Document Scanner
scan.png

& this is what you get with Xsane..
scan 1.png
scan 1.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Oscar,

I'm wondering if there is a problem with sane.

I found an item relating to this possibility at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SA ... k_Scanning which is an archlinux site but might be relevant in your case. I also found this Brother page which might give some clues: https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend. ... 100712_001.

I know you must be feeling very frustrated - let's hope you find a good outcome shortly.
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

Kester wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:39 am
Hi Oscar,

I'm wondering if there is a problem with sane.

I found an item relating to this possibility at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SA ... k_Scanning which is an archlinux site but might be relevant in your case. I also found this Brother page which might give some clues: https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend. ... 100712_001.

I know you must be feeling very frustrated - let's hope you find a good outcome shortly.
I think you may be right. The file the first link refers to ..
"In case of network scanning, e.g. by WiFi, Sane may still be unable to find the scanner. If so, you need to specify the IP address of the scanner in the /etc/sane.d/net.conf file. " this ..

# This is the net backend config file.

## net backend options
# Timeout for the initial connection to saned. This will prevent the backend
# from blocking for several minutes trying to connect to an unresponsive
# saned host (network outage, host down, ...). Value in seconds.
# connect_timeout = 60

## saned hosts
# Each line names a host to attach to.
# If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
# directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
# may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
# localhost
Doesn't say HOW to specify the IP address. ;(
I will look into the other link this weekend.
Thanks for the help!!
OtG
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

RIH wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:10 am
oscarTheGrouch wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:17 am
If you have no scanner connected then this is what you get with Simple Scan/Document Scanner
scan.png

& this is what you get with Xsane..
scan 1.png
Thanks, That's kinda what I would expect. I think we have to look at the back end sane as the issue.
More work this weekend, will keep this tread posted.
Thanks!
OtG
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

I'd be very interested in knowing how to change the IP address without uninstalling and reinstalling the Brother .deb package.
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

LanceM wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:00 pm
I'd be very interested in knowing how to change the IP address without uninstalling and reinstalling the Brother .deb package.
This model has an LCD screen, Menu button, allows complete network setup including one button WiFi connecting.
Link to online user manual ..
https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/html ... D851FC_316

Any idea how to purge sane? And re-install?
;)
OtG
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Oscar,

You should perhaps wait for Lance to confirm that what I suggest below is correct but it is what I would try in your situation.

To purge 'sane', open the terminal and type 'sudo apt purge sane',
follow this with 'sudo apt-get',
then 'sudo apt-get upgrade'
and finally 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.
This should update your repositories. Now open 'synaptic', search for 'sane' and mark it for installation and then click 'Apply'.
oscarTheGrouch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oscarTheGrouch »

Kester wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 am
Hi Oscar,

You should perhaps wait for Lance to confirm that what I suggest below is correct but it is what I would try in your situation.

To purge 'sane', open the terminal and type 'sudo apt purge sane',
follow this with 'sudo apt-get',
then 'sudo apt-get upgrade'
and finally 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.
This should update your repositories. Now open 'synaptic', search for 'sane' and mark it for installation and then click 'Apply'.
I will. Noticed there was an update to air-sane today. Didn't change anything though.
OtG

Return to “Printers & Scanners”