SANE configuration for Xerox B205 and B215 [Solved -- Updated for Mint 20.2]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SANE configuration for Xerox B205 and B215

Post by cday »

When you first posted I was following seemingly simple instructions from a Xerox support thread, and had encountered a problem to which michael-hi had suggested a solution which I had yet to test. I broke off following that route to do the test you indicated, and many posts and tests later you seem to have enabled scanning on my Xerox B215.

When I started the thread, I wanted to not only solve my immediate problem of getting scanning working, but also for the thread to be a resource for anyone else who might encounter a problem enabling scanning from a Xerox B205 or B215. Although my immediate problem seems solved, many posts later it doesn't really provide a simple solution, at least unless read very carefully and selectively.

Would you now be able to provide simplified, direct instructions for scanner set-up which should work for someone who has just setup their Xerox, installed the Linux drivers and encountered the issue I encountered?

Alternatively, the Xerox support solution I started with looked simple enough, but when I tested michael-hi's modification to the code to change the text editor called it still didn't run. As that issue might be easily overcome, it could be worth investigating that issue as a possible simpler solution. Possibly better as a separate thread?

Thanks again for your detailed support. :D
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cday wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:22 pm When you first posted I was following seemingly simple instructions from a Xerox support thread, and had encountered a problem to which michael-hi had suggested a solution which I had yet to test. I broke off following that route to do the test you indicated, and many posts and tests later you seem to have enabled scanning on my Xerox B215.
This Xerox support thread? Where is it? I am not going to search for it.

Scanning on your device has been enabled by leveraging the capabilities of your modern device and matching it to what has become available on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint in the past year. You are in the forefront of technology. If that that makes you feel uncomfortable, sorry.
When I started the thread, I wanted to not only solve my immediate problem of getting scanning working, but also for the thread to be a resource for anyone else who might encounter a problem enabling scanning from a Xerox B205 or B215. Although my immediate problem seems solved, many posts later it doesn't really provide a simple solution, at least unless read very carefully and selectively.
No simple solution? Your experience contradicts this.

Connect by wireless. Install sane-airscan. Scan successfully. You did it. What could be simpler? A five minute job.

(The USB case is more involved due to the bugs in this initial release of Mint 20).
Would you now be able to provide simplified, direct instructions for scanner set-up which should work for someone who has just setup their Xerox, installed the Linux drivers and encountered the issue I encountered?
If by "Linux drivers" you mean the Samsung drivers provided by Xerox, I have no intention of working with them. Others can. But these "others" are in in short supply in this thread! You have me (and the power of a modern Mint system) and now have the ability to scan.
Alternatively, the Xerox support solution I started with looked simple enough, but when I tested michael-hi's modification to the code to change the text editor called it still didn't run. As that issue might be easily overcome, it could be worth investigating that issue as a possible simpler solution. Possibly better as a separate thread?
If you wish.

Users love vendor drivers but they (the drivers) are old hat with a modern MFD. Printing and scanning on an up-to-date Debian/Ubuntu/Mint with a modern MFD does not require vendor drivers. Mindset of users is the barrier to change.

Bottom line

Want guidance on using vendor drivers with a modern MFD? I am not your man,
--
Brian.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

I have updated to Mint Cinnamon 20.1 then 20.2, and am pleased to report that 'out of the box' I can print and scan successfully with absolutely no set-up required! :D

I still can't scan at greater than 300DPI though, seems be a limitation of the Xerox Linux wireless interface, as previously reported in this thread. :(

Anyone happen to work for Xerox, I could use a firmware update I think... :wink:
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cday wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:11 pm I have updated to Mint Cinnamon 20.1 then 20.2, and am pleased to report that 'out of the box' I can print and scan successfully with absolutely no set-up required! :D
Is this on USB or wireless?

Please give

Code: Select all

dpkg -l ipp-usb

Code: Select all

dpkg -l sane-airscan
--
Brian.
cday
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cday »

brian_p wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:19 pm
cday wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:11 pm I have updated to Mint Cinnamon 20.1 then 20.2, and am pleased to report that 'out of the box' I can print and scan successfully with absolutely no set-up required! :D
Is this on USB or wireless?

Wireless... :D

I wanted to give you credit for your support last year: I was completely unaware that almost all modern printers and scanners can be used without any manufacturer-provided drivers, and that that has been the case for quite a while.

Not knowing that, anyone buying a printer or scanner would naturally following the manufacturer's set-up instructions. In Windows at least, that would likely also install useful utilities, but in Linux not necessarily more than is available using the utilities either already included in the distro, or easily installed if the possibility is known about. Xerox could usefully refer to that option as well as providing installation instructions for their drivers.

Easier than trying to follow the manufacturer's Linux driver installation instructions, which needed at least slight modification in my case.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: SANE configuration for Xerox B205 and B215 [Updated for Mint 20.2]

Post by brian_p »

have updated to Mint Cinnamon 20.1 then 20.2, and am pleased to report that 'out of the box' I can print and scan successfully with absolutely no set-up required!
It seems to me that editing the first post to have [SOLVED] in the subject line would be a good idea.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”