Problem adding printer HP6310

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gladeous
Level 2
Level 2

Problem adding printer HP6310

Post by Gladeous »

I tried all of the commands and still can not get the printer added on. Hp has my printer HP6310 listed to select from. Click to add and nothing happens.

qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error: No PPD found for model officejet_6300 using old algorithm.
error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model officejet_6300_series
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Problem adding printer HP6310

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Split off from tutorial thread here: How To: Install and Configure for HP Printer.
Help requests should not be suffixed to tutorials.
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem adding printer HP Office Jet Pro 8725 - Resolved

Post by pak »

Hi

I have a newbie basic question (I have a HP Office Jet Pro 8725)

When I want to scan from my printer, the 'Document Scanner' app just does it (it located my wi-fi printer / scanner automatically)
However when I want to print, it cant find a printer

I have tried to follow the simple instructions:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install hplip hplip-gui xsane
$ hp-setup
$ hp-plugin
but the gui that pops up from the hp-setup cant find my printer, it tells me to follow a link (below) which returns a 'could not be found' message

error: No devices found on bus: net
error:  HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network.  This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports.
                When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link.
                 http://hplipopensource.com/node/374 
I am wondering, do I have to buy a USB / USB cable and connect my HP lap-top to my HP printer, as part of the Linux printer set up process, as even located right next to each other, the lap-top (using Linux Mint) cant find the printer over wi-fi

If not, how can I set the hp-setup gui correctly to search & find the printer over wi-fi?

Thanks for any help, as its frustrating having to revert to windows every time I wish to print, particularly as I can scan extremely easily and smoothly in Linux
Last edited by pak on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

If you installed hplip-gui (if not do it now)

sudo apt install hplip-gui
go to menu and search for HPLIP Toolbox and use that to install the printer. You may need the following On my printer there is a setting that tell you the IP address of the printer on the network. Get that address. When in hplip toobox select Show advanced options. then select Manual Discovery and enter the printer's IP address see if it finds the printer then and add it.

Note: It is a good Idea to set a fixed IP address on the printer that is outside the normal range of automatic addresses Mine is set to .211 That way the printer address does not change if you add a new device to the network. good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pak »

Thanks kc1di

All sorted now, thank to your help....

I used 'sudo apt install hplip-gui'
Then typed 'HPLIP toolbox' in the 'search' box of the main 'm' menu. That opened another internet (Firefox) page branded HP.

I also now have my printer scanner displayed in my 'Printers-local host' printing "app" as well as the 'Document Scanner' "app" in Linux Mint

So that's it - no more need to keep Windows on my lap-top

Perfect & thanks again for all of your help

Return to “Printers & Scanners”