How to setup an Epson Printer on Linux Mint ? [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benji88i
Level 2
Level 2

How to setup an Epson Printer on Linux Mint ? [Solved]

Post by benji88i »

Hi There,

I recently setup Linux Mint latest 20.1 edition (Cinnamon).

Everything runs great however the system cannot communicate with our Printer (& Scanner).

The Printer is a multi-function (Scan,Fax, Print,Copy)

Model number : WF- 3540

I would really appreciate someone who can help,

Basically what happens is when I print, the printer does nothing but it registers a notification saying it has printed and then after about 5-6 seconds says "successfully printed", however nothing is printed and the printer does not make a sound.

When I plugged in the printer Linux Mint system detected it, installed the drivers automatically, I usually prefer to install the drivers from the manufacturers website but I let it go.

I am quite stuck with ideas, I thought to try to remove the drivers manually and then re-install them, perhaps there is a dependency file I need?

Looking for a bit of guidance and would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts

[solved]
Last edited by SMG on Fri May 06, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Locking old solved topic.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How to setup an Epson Printer on Linux Mint ?

Post by AZgl1800 »

when I installed LM20.1 it found my Epson ET-2550 and automatically installed a "Driverless package for it"

never have used that before, I have always used CUPS and the latest Epson drivers to install my printers.

However, it worked just fine.

So, as it does not work now, why not just delete your current printer and let LM20.1 find it again and go "Driverless"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

So, as it does not work now, why not just delete your current printer and let LM20.1 find it again and go "Driverless"
My first reaction to this suggestion was - what a good idea. But thinking on:

benji88i talks about plugging in the printer; this implies it is a USB connection. On LM 20.1, ippusbxd, which atempts to manage (not very well) a driverless print queue for a USB connected device, is not installed by default. It has not been replaced. So - how was the printer detected and a print queue installed?
--
Brian.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have had very poor luck with USB drivers.

the HP Envy 5000 series printers are the world's worst. they will NOT stay hooked up and print every time.

I have a friend with 18.3 Cinnamon, the HP Envy 5050 printer, never turned off....
he is a truck driver, only gets to use his PC on Saturday, and without fail, the damn printer will not work from one week to the next.

we finally went to WiFi, same results, it is a piece of crap.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I have had very poor luck with USB drivers
I think I'll await confirmation of benji88i having a USB connection to the Epson.
--
Brian.
benji88i
Level 2
Level 2

Post by benji88i »

brian_p wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 am
I have had very poor luck with USB drivers
I think I'll await confirmation of benji88i having a USB connection to the Epson.
Hi there Brian,

Indeed you are correct it was a standard USB connection. Working great on windows. Should I try to uninstall the drivers that were installed automatically..?

I always install printer drivers through the command line or with eddy and that works perfectly. I am new to Linux Mint but want to be confident with the system as I really love the LM interface and unique robust and modular design..

I didn't want to run it driverless but I am not confident with the package manager in Linux mint just yet,, it's new to me I am used to Pop_OS and Fedora
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

benji88i wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 am
Indeed you are correct it was a standard USB connection. Working great on windows. Should I try to uninstall the drivers that were installed automatically..?
It will have to go, but leave until later.
I always install printer drivers through the command line or with eddy and that works perfectly. I am new to Linux Mint but want to be confident with the system as I really love the LM interface and unique robust and modular design..

I didn't want to run it driverless but I am not confident with the package manager in Linux mint just yet,, it's new to me I am used to Pop_OS and Fedora
I intend going for a modern driverless setup.

Install ipp-usb

Code: Select all

apt install ipp-usb
and plug the printer in. A print queue should be automatically created. Test printing.
--
Brian.
benji88i
Level 2
Level 2

Post by benji88i »

brian_p wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 am
benji88i wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 am
It will have to go, but leave until later.

I intend going for a modern driverless setup.

Install ipp-usb

Code: Select all

apt install ipp-usb
and plug the printer in. A print queue should be automatically created. Test printing.
Thank you very much for your help.

So in summary. I believe this is right

1- poweroff printer.
2. disconnect usb
3. uninstall the drivers for the printer through the drivers management in the settings area
4. autoremove or autoclean and clean (not sure if this would help remove anything extra)
5. plug power back into printer
7. power on
8. run the code you mentioned

I'll let you know how I go I am away from that system for a while.

Thanks again,
benji88i
Level 2
Level 2

Post by benji88i »

Hi There, just letting you know everything works now thanks Brian a lot.

scanner, fax copier and printer all working perfect with the native linux mint apps.

So great !
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

benji88i wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 pm Hi There, just letting you know everything works now thanks Brian a lot.

scanner, fax copier and printer all working perfect with the native linux mint apps.

So great !
glad it is taken care of,
please go to the 1st post you made, edit it and mark it [ solved ]

that tells future readers how to fix their problem should it be the same.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to setup an Epson Printer on Linux Mint ? [Solved]

Post by bikrgran »

I've just read all the posts here, but everything seems to be wired. This is marked "solved", so send me where I need to go, if I can't do this. I've just set up 20.1, from 19.3, and my Epson WF-2650 is plugged into the desktop. I can't figure out how to get my printer to wirelessly print from there to my laptop. I've got the wifi working, supposedly, so I'm at a loss. I REALLY don't want to have to get another printer. I'm not very good at all the gobbly-gook that Linux uses.

Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

bikrgran wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:44 pm I've just read all the posts here, but everything seems to be wired. This is marked "solved", so send me where I need to go, if I can't do this. I've just set up 20.1, from 19.3, and my Epson WF-2650 is plugged into the desktop. I can't figure out how to get my printer to wirelessly print from there to my laptop. I've got the wifi working, supposedly, so I'm at a loss. I REALLY don't want to have to get another printer. I'm not very good at all the gobbly-gook that Linux uses.

Thanks!
Is the printer logged into the WiFi network?
if so, disconnect the USB cord, you don't need it.

if any printer is showing in the CUPS application, delete them, just for grins, reboot the computer.

did it find, and install the printer?

if not, then go thru the ADD printer routine.

go here, and download the correct drivers.
most likely it is the same exact driver I used as it covers 99% of all Epson printers.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule

install that driver, and then ADD printer again, it should show the correct printer under the EPSON heading.

Driverless.png
Pauly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pauly »

Hello,
I had great problems in connecting my EPson WF-7715 to my laptop (Linux)
But this hint in the forum did the trick : apt install ipp-usb
Power off Printer
Remove USB from laptop
apt install ipp-usb
Replug in printer
Power on printer

Linux found immediately the printer
AND PRINTED :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”