Forum rules
Before you post please read this
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

HP F2480 Deskjet all-in-one

Post by cato40 »

Hi:
Has anyone had any problems installing HP F2480 Multifunction Printer.?
Thanks,
cato40 :?:

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HP F2480 Deskjet all-in-one

Post by 900i »

Hi, my HP 4480 Multi performs admirably. So you should have no problem if you use the HPLIP utility from,

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
Core i7 Dual GTX 960 Linux Mint 19.3 F@H Team Linux Mint 76140

STAY SAFE

cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi 900i :
Does the HP printer of yours work ok ,with the scanner also?
cato40 :D

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I have the HP2210 all in one and it works fine printing and scanning. The setup was not a problem using Mint 7 Gnome.

lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Yes it does. No problems on Mint 7.
Core i7 Dual GTX 960 Linux Mint 19.3 F@H Team Linux Mint 76140

STAY SAFE

cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Thanks, once again

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

./karlos wrote:I can't seem to get it to wrk at all
Get what to work? The original poster of this thread ("cato40") started this thread about his HP F2480. You have now hijacked this thread and I really don't know what printer you are talking about - can I assume the same one or not?

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

./karlos wrote:Sorry... Yes it is the F2480...
Perhaps I should start a new thread then...
It is best to do so - otherwise your post gets hidden amongst someone else's thread and you will get fewer responses. Anyways, here is what I would do.
1) plug in your printer and turn it on
2) open your browser and navigate to http://localhost:631
3) you are now at the CUPS printer server.
4) choose "add Printer" and just follow the instructions and drop down boxes. It will also ask for your password.
5) if you have any concerns click the documentation label on that server website.

mac100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mac100 »

Does anyone know if the latest version of HPLIPS - supports the F2480 model as suggested above?

EDIT
I have checked HPLIPS - iit supports f2480 but doesn't support Mint 7, only MINT 6. It says you can download the latest version but automatic install of software is not available and I am not confident enough to get involved with technical details.

Finding a printer/scanner that is easily installed and works seems to be a major problem in Mint 7 - or is just me? Can anyone advise a suitable solution please?

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

I suggest it would still support Mint 7, despite what it says. Install it.

mac100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mac100 »

Tried installing it but I have no luck with this terminal stuff - trying to change directory and following their instrfuction cd ~ /Desktop I just get 'no such file or directory.

cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi :
With regards to the HP F2480, would there be any problems with HP F 2410 ?
Cheers, and a Merry Christmas .

mac100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mac100 »

Still can't get full functionality with Mint 8 . The F735 work round works for the printer but got no scanner funtion. Works fine with Ubuntu 9.10 though.

humptydumpty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HP F2420 Deskjet all-in-one

Post by humptydumpty »

Hi,

I'm struggling to get my HP f2420 "all-in one2 running. Have tried all HP's suggestions from their web page, but must be missing something. :( When I go into terminal to load hplip-3.9.12, I end up with message below, even after trying to resolve the missing dependencies. HP seem to provide Mac drivers - pity they don't try a bit harder for Linux!

warning: There are 7 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.
mike@mike-desktop ~/Desktop $

I have previously used an HP 2200 on Mint 7, but this new printer and Mint Helena don't seem to be happy with each other.

Happy New Year! :D

Mike.

humptydumpty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HP F2420 Deskjet All-in-One and hplip-3.9.12

Post by humptydumpty »

HP F2420 all-in-one and Mint Helena (64bit).

I am having considerable difficulties in getting a new HP F2420 printer scanner to work. I can get the printer to work(ish) using an old driver (F735).

HP has a good looking site, but I have had no luck whatsoever in installing the latest "hplip-3.9.12". I have even tried installing it (the correct versions) into other clean installations of other Linux distributions and I get problems EVERY time. In Mint Helena, installation stops quite early on within the terminal - with an error message reporting 7 missing dependencies and python errors. In Mepis I get almost right to the end of the process, but the horse falls at the last fence with an abortion!

I have had similar failures in Ubuntu 8.10, Mint 7, Sabayon. Guess I might be doing something wrong, but I have copied the instructions on HP's page (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... xmint.html) to the letter and I have got nowhere. Now off to try Ubuntu 9.10 to see what happens.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be gratefully received!

Mike.

fossie.ferreira
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fossie.ferreira »

Hi,

Has there been any progress about this? I have the same issue (brand new HP f2480 all-in-one, Mint 8 main). I posted a question on that Launchpad - HPLIP thingy (https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/102021). Basically I have the same error HumtyDumpty described on Jan 14th. I run the printer on that "HP F735" workaround suggested somewhere in this forum but the only scanning option I have is a nice picture of my forehead with my laptop's built-in webcam - there is no HP scanner on the list of devices in xsane.

I really hope someone has a solution to this issue - I have a pile of stuff that need scanning the size of kilimanjaro!

Fossie

pavelinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pavelinux »

fossie.ferreira wrote:Hi,

Has there been any progress about this? I have the same issue (brand new HP f2480 all-in-one, Mint 8 main). I posted a question on that Launchpad - HPLIP thingy (https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/102021). Basically I have the same error HumtyDumpty described on Jan 14th. I run the printer on that "HP F735" workaround suggested somewhere in this forum but the only scanning option I have is a nice picture of my forehead with my laptop's built-in webcam - there is no HP scanner on the list of devices in xsane.

I really hope someone has a solution to this issue - I have a pile of stuff that need scanning the size of kilimanjaro!

Fossie
Hi ,
I solved the problem right now : you have to enable all the repositories and run the hplip-3.9.12.run, when it asks if you're version is Mint 8 say no and choose ubuntu 9.10. It will download some dependencies and at the and you will prompt for a reboot. After the reboot open a terminal and digit : "hp-setup" .
It works perfectly.

p.s. sorry for my english, I'm italian and very rusty :)

spiffin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spiffin »

pavelinux...you're a genius !
It needs a bit of care to get it exactly right, but it worked for me. After following your method I had to set up the printer to use the new 3.9.12 stuff and now my HP G55 OfficeJet prints test pages but it doesn't always print pages from Open Office. The fax function doesn't work, but I never sent a fax in my life !
Thank you, at least we're part-way there !

pavelinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pavelinux »

spiffin wrote:pavelinux...you're a genius !
It needs a bit of care to get it exactly right, but it worked for me. After following your method I had to set up the printer to use the new 3.9.12 stuff and now my HP G55 OfficeJet prints test pages but it doesn't always print pages from Open Office. The fax function doesn't work, but I never sent a fax in my life !
Thank you, at least we're part-way there !
According to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... t_g55.html your printer is fully supported but not reccomended, whatever it means :?:
But they say that fax feature works, I cannot help you more because I've got a f2480.
If you can't print from open office check if your're printer is setted as default.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”