Brother printers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Brother printers

Post by dave8671 »

I installed Linux mint 20.1 xfce for my friends dads thinkpad t400. His dad likes laser printers and staples and best buy are out of stock of HP models. They do not like amazon.

I found a website
https://haydenjames.io/finding-linux-co ... -printers/

On this site was a Brother HL-L3290CDW his dad wants a color laser printer and this is the only one I found. How difficult is installing a brother all-in-one? I never had a brother printer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Brother printers

Post by rossdv8 »

It should not be too difficult as long as you read the instructions carefully a few times (because it is the forst time you are doing it).

You can either download all the individual driver bits, then install them manually and set up CUPS, which is the way I used to do it.

Or you can download an installation script to run in a Terminal (which is how I've done it the last few times).

Again - READ EVERYTHING before you DO ANYTHING..

There WILL be times you have to enter answers during the running of the script, so once it starts - keep the Terminal OPEN, and watch for questions, then read and understand the question before you hit Y or n etc..

Preferably read it several times, and PRINT it out, so it is beside you to check off each step!

This is the link to the tool for his printer and for the install tool (script) to use with Mint:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... 006893_000
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Installing brother printers is normally trouble free, just follow the instructions provided by rossdv8. I usually do a manual install, downloading the debs for the printer driver and cupswrapper from brother and installing them before adding the printer. Currently have an old HL4140CN and a HL-L8260CDW.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

I did see the driver install tool. has brother printers been reliable? I have always used HP.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yes, I wouldn't buy anything else, excellent linux support, but...
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=341588&p=1964586&h ... r#p1964586
I don't think they are any better or worse than other suppliers in this regard.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I just recently installed a Brother HL_L3270CDW for my wife as a network printer on LM 19.3 Cinnamon - mint found it with no problem and it runs with no issues. The 3270 does not have a scanner function so I cannot speak to that.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

dave8671 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 pm I did see the driver install tool. has brother printers been reliable? I have always used HP.
Brother printers are pretty robust. I usually get more than ten years of hard work out of them, The main problems I've had were when I spent a lot of time in hospital and nozzles got clogged. I solved it (for myself at least) in two ways.
I stopped ever using pigment inks. The Brother inkjets are designed specifically for DYE ink - NOT for Pigment inks. I was doing experimental work that needed pigment and sometime solvent inks, and was happy enough to simply dispose of A3 printers regularly, since they were only about $270 back then (about 10+ years ago).
I wrote a shell script that prints a small test page that uses a small about of every colour ink very time I boot the computer.

When I am away for extended periods I just tell the computer's BIOS to boot the system every day at a set time. then shut down every day at a set time. The test print runs on boot. Linux can be told to shut down cleanly at a set time also, usually an hour or so before BIOS does a clean exit.

Prior to switching to Brother (because they worked better on Linux than any of the others - FOR WHAT I WAS DOING - I had excellent results under Linux with Epson and HP. Support wise, HP have always been best since the early days of desktop Linux. Brother were the first Epson based machines to come close. Canon may have improved these days, but when I was a Canon reseller (my first Canon priter sale was a BJ200) and service tech, their Linux support was awful, and we dropped them.

Brother uses Epson technology rather than HP, and I have often used the same ink in either.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

dave8671 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 pm I did see the driver install tool. has brother printers been reliable? I have always used HP.
just a comment:

I have learned to hate HP printers with Linux.
I would never, ever, buy one for myself.
have tried to keep them running other folk's PCs and it is a struggle...

they run fine, and then they don't.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:02 am
just a comment:

I have learned to hate HP printers with Linux.
I would never, ever, buy one for myself.
have tried to keep them running other folk's PCs and it is a struggle...

they run fine, and then they don't.
Interesting - my experience has been just the opposite. HP is pretty good in providing drivers for the linux kernel. I have had a few HP printers and a few are on the systems on which I have installed Mint for others. I do absolutely nothing and like magic after the install the HP printers are just there. I did help someone on this forum last year with installing the HP scanner plugin but never needed a scanner plugin for the HP printers/scanners I have dealt with personally.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

I seen this plugin on many new HP models now days. Seems to be laser printers for now. I did read that HP may require inkjets to have plugins in the future.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”