I followed the instructions of the brother homepage, basically:
- download and install cupswrapperhl2030:i386 2.0.1-2
- setting up via CUPS (http://localhost:631 - no problem in comparison to here) using connection AppSocket/HP JetDirect connected it via
- printer worked!
Problem now is some weeks later: I cant print anymore.
I do not see any error message popping up during print, just various LM messages that job was sent succesfully to printer - but it simply do not print anything, printer just stays silent/idle.
Job overview in CUPS says maybe something meaningful under "finished jobs":
--> Status:" finished at [Time/Date] "Use "pdftops-renderer" option (see cups-filters README file) to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion."". I googled and found this but which was not helpful to me.
Therefore I checked:
- access_log states for failed Job18:
Code: Select all
localhost - - [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] "POST /printers/HL2030(forCUPS) HTTP/1.1" 200 217 Create-Job successful-ok localhost - - [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] "POST /printers/HL2030(forCUPS) HTTP/1.1" 200 1495 Send-Document successful-ok
Code: Select all
W [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] [Job 18] Grayscale/monochrome printing requested for this job but Poppler is not able to convert to grayscale/monochrome PostScript. W [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] [Job 18] Use \"pdftops-renderer\" option (see cups-filters README file) to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion.
- Printing from Windows still works - so no problem with router/USB/printer itself.
- Disable firewall or to whitelisted ports stated for CUPS-usage here (e.g. 9100, 631)
- Re-setup the printer via CUPS but doesn't help.
How can I figure out which crucial change in system could be the reason and how to solve?
What I did between "working printer" some weeks ago and now (not working anymore) what COULD maybe stand in connection:
- upgraded LinuxMint 20.0 --> 20.1 Cinnamon/64Bit
- keeping system up to date (=installed all updates) -- if also CUPS was updated I don't know (how to find out update history of it)?
- installing and configuring the samba-service (smbd.service) for file sync
- activating and setting up Gufw-Firewall 20.04.1 (+ create some rules for samba service)
Any useful commands to finde out at which point the printing jobs just vanishes or how to solve this and to know the root cause?
Thanks for any help. Anybody else recently had some similar issues?