[SOLVED] Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Brother printer wont print anymore via fritz.box/USB->network

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
therob
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Brother printer wont print anymore via fritz.box/USB->network

Post by therob »

Some weeks ago I successfully set up and tested my Brother HL-2030 connected at my Router (FritzBox 7360) via USB as a network printer using CUPS.
I followed the instructions of the brother homepage, basically:
- download and install cupswrapperhl2030:i386 2.0.1-2
- setting up via CUPS (http://localhost:631 - no problem in comparison to here) using connection AppSocket/HP JetDirect connected it via socket://fritz.box:9100
- printer worked!

Problem now is some weeks later: I cant print anymore.
I do not see any error message popping up during print, just various LM messages that job was sent succesfully to printer - but it simply do not print anything, printer just stays silent/idle.

Job overview in CUPS says maybe something meaningful under "finished jobs":
--> Status:" finished at [Time/Date] "Use "pdftops-renderer" option (see cups-filters README file) to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion."". I googled and found this but which was not helpful to me.
Therefore I checked:
- access_log states for failed Job18:

Code: Select all

localhost - - [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] "POST /printers/HL2030(forCUPS) HTTP/1.1" 200 217 Create-Job successful-ok
localhost - - [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] "POST /printers/HL2030(forCUPS) HTTP/1.1" 200 1495 Send-Document successful-ok
- error_log states for failed Job18:

W [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] [Job 18] Grayscale/monochrome printing requested for this job but Poppler is not able to convert to grayscale/monochrome PostScript.
W [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] [Job 18] Use \"pdftops-renderer\" option (see cups-filters README file) to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion.
I tried already:
- Printing from Windows still works - so no problem with router/USB/printer itself.
- Disable firewall or to whitelisted ports stated for CUPS-usage here (e.g. 9100, 631)
- Re-setup the printer via CUPS but doesn't help.
No change.

How can I figure out which crucial change in system could be the reason and how to solve?
What I did between "working printer" some weeks ago and now (not working anymore) what COULD maybe stand in connection:
- upgraded LinuxMint 20.0 --> 20.1 Cinnamon/64Bit
- keeping system up to date (=installed all updates) -- if also CUPS was updated I don't know (how to find out update history of it)?
- installing and configuring the samba-service (smbd.service) for file sync
- activating and setting up Gufw-Firewall 20.04.1 (+ create some rules for samba service)

Any useful commands to finde out at which point the printing jobs just vanishes or how to solve this and to know the root cause?

Thanks for any help. Anybody else recently had some similar issues?
Cheers, Robert
Last edited by therob on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
therob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Brother printer wont print anymore via fritz.box/USB->network

Post by therob »

After some internet research I found some info about the error message (link):

W [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] [Job 18] Grayscale/monochrome printing requested for this job but Poppler is not able to convert to grayscale/monochrome PostScript.
W [19/Feb/2021:18:42:14 +0100] [Job 18] Use \"pdftops-renderer\" option (see cups-filters README file) to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion.
use ghostscript for PDF conversion: lpadmin -p <printername> -o pdftops-renderer-default=gs
(reset defaults: lpadmin -p <printername> -R pdftops-renderer-default)

Afterwards I don't see this error message under "finished jobs" anymore and it just states "finished" after any job - without any error. And printer status is just "idle". But still the printer does not print anything.

Would it help to completely purge printer/CUPS (how?) and reinstall?
Or is it maybe just a bad default setting?

Any ideas what I could further test?
It is very anoying that it does not work anymore and I don't know if I changed something for the bad :-/
livius
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Brother printer wont print anymore via fritz.box/USB->network

Post by livius »

I also have this problem since updating to 20.1. One more symptom: if I try to change the printer driver, the dialogue box hangs at "searching for drivers" and stays that way for hours until I killed it.
therob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by therob »

Do you have same error message (...pdftops-renderer etc...) or just the "printer do nothing" thing?
It worked normal before upgrade to 20.1? Anything else changed at your system (I did some other changes as well, so not sure if upgrade was the problem - but you could confirm it)?

I also posted here (german)...no solution yet.
therob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by therob »

Finally I could solve my problem - my HL2030 is printing again.

Short version is re-installation of the deb-Package (cupswrapperhl2030:i386 2.0.1-2) from the Brother-Homepage (for my directly in the opening LM Paket manager, see attached screenshots).

After this the old printer entry worked again without any changes and a newly added printer with the CUPSWrapper-driver/list entry worked as well (although with the above documented error (warning?) message about "pdftops-renderer" which I could solve for the old entry with setting to GhostScript (see above).

For sake of completeness: before this I tried to use the install script of the brother homepage (link), but aborted (because it wanted to install 55 packages what I did not want). If anything was changed despite the abort I can't say.

More details here in german.
Glad that it is working again - but beeing still puzzled why this happened and what was exactly repaired during re-installation.
Cheers, Robert
Attachments
cupswrapperHL2030-2.0.1-2.i386.deb.jpg
cupswrapperHL2030-2.0.1-2.i386.deb_2.jpg

Return to “Printers & Scanners”