cups too smart for its own good

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
betchern0t

cups too smart for its own good

Post by betchern0t »

I have a brother mfc l3770 cdw series. Out of the box it fails to print correctly producing many pages of garbage characters that is a typical symptom of a wrong or bad driver.
To address this problem I configured it by hand using the brother proprietary driver - open driver didn't work. However every time cups starts it identifies the printer and re-adds it with the bad driver. I am not sure how to stop this behavior - either forcing cups to use the correct driver or to stop it auto finding the printer. Either route would probably solve the problem.

Mint version is 20 ulyana. Cups is 2.3.1. The driver cups chooses is brother mfc l3770cdw series driverless, cups filters 1.27.4

thanks for your help

Cheers Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
navychief
Level 1
Level 1

Re: cups too smart for its own good

Post by navychief »

Paul,

Are you able to get the automatic document feeder (ADF) to work using the Scanner Utility built into Mint? It scans remarkable well, but I have yet to figure out how to make the ADF function. Thanks.

navychief
I am finished with both Windows and OS X.

New to Linux Mint. Always appreciate any help learning Mint, especially Terminal usage!
Thanks...
Navychief
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I don't use the brother install script, I manually download and install the two debs, one for the driver the other the cupswrapper. Do the driver first.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

betchern0t wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 am I have a brother mfc l3770 cdw series. Out of the box it fails to print correctly producing many pages of garbage characters that is a typical symptom of a wrong or bad driver.
To address this problem I configured it by hand using the brother proprietary driver - open driver didn't work. However every time cups starts it identifies the printer and re-adds it with the bad driver. I am not sure how to stop this behavior - either forcing cups to use the correct driver or to stop it auto finding the printer. Either route would probably solve the problem.

Mint version is 20 ulyana. Cups is 2.3.1. The driver cups chooses is brother mfc l3770cdw series driverless, cups filters 1.27.4

thanks for your help

Cheers Paul
USB-connected?

Code: Select all

apt purge ippusbxd
Switch printer off, unplug, leave for a minute or two, switch on and re-plug.
--
Brian.
navychief
Level 1
Level 1

Post by navychief »

Nope on the USB. All network. Just the ADF seems inop.
I am finished with both Windows and OS X.

New to Linux Mint. Always appreciate any help learning Mint, especially Terminal usage!
Thanks...
Navychief

Return to “Printers & Scanners”