Wireless scanning on Epson SX535 [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcusadamski

Wireless scanning on Epson SX535 [SOLVED]

Post by marcusadamski »

Hello there,

I was previously running Lubuntu 20.10 and my Epson SX535 was immediately picked up for both printing and scanning. I've just switched to Mint XFCE 20.1, and although again I can print wirelessly, scanning is an issue.

simple-scan does not find the printer.

I've connected via a usb cable, at which point the simple-scan can detect and successfully scan. So the drivers are available, simple-scan just cannot detect the printer when operating wirelessly.

Please note my printer's IP changes, as it connects to a DHCP wireless router.

Thanks for any help,
Marcus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Wireless scanning on Epson SX535

Post by brian_p »

Using the wireless connection, please provide

Code: Select all

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
From the USB and wireless connections, please provide

scanimage -L
--
Brian.
marcusadamski

Post by marcusadamski »

Hello Brian - sure, those details are:

$ avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
+ wlx964627b825ae IPv4 Epson Stylus SX535WD                          Internet Printer     local
= wlx964627b825ae IPv4 Epson Stylus SX535WD                          Internet Printer     local
   hostname = [EPSON6D217B.local]
   address = [192.168.0.80]
   port = [631]
   txt = ["UUID=cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-0026ab6d217b" "URF=CP1,MT1-3-8-11-12,PQ4-5,OB9,OFU0,RS360-720,SRGB24,W8,DM3,IS1" "Scan=T" "Duplex=T" "Color=T" "note=" "adminurl=http://EPSON6D217B.local.:80/PRESENTATION/BONJOUR" "qtotal=1" "rp=Epson_IPP_Printer" "pdl=application/octet-stream,image/urf,image/jpeg" "product=(EPSON Epson Stylus SX535WD)" "usb_MDL=Epson Stylus SX535WD" "usb_MFG=EPSON" "ty=EPSON Epson Stylus SX535WD" "priority=40" "txtvers=1"]

$ avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
$ 

$ scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
Finally, using a USB connection:

$ scanimage -L
device `epson2:libusb:003:004' is a Epson PID 0891 flatbed scanner
Thanks for your help,
Marcus
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

marcusadamski wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:51 am Hello Brian - sure, those details are:
Thanks.

$ avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
+ wlx964627b825ae IPv4 Epson Stylus SX535WD                          Internet Printer     local
= wlx964627b825ae IPv4 Epson Stylus SX535WD                          Internet Printer     local
   hostname = [EPSON6D217B.local]
   address = [192.168.0.80]
   port = [631]
   txt = ["UUID=cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-0026ab6d217b" "URF=CP1,MT1-3-8-11-12,PQ4-5,OB9,OFU0,RS360-720,SRGB24,W8,DM3,IS1" "Scan=T" "Duplex=T" "Color=T" "note=" "adminurl=http://EPSON6D217B.local.:80/PRESENTATION/BONJOUR" "qtotal=1" "rp=Epson_IPP_Printer" "pdl=application/octet-stream,image/urf,image/jpeg" "product=(EPSON Epson Stylus SX535WD)" "usb_MDL=Epson Stylus SX535WD" "usb_MFG=EPSON" "ty=EPSON Epson Stylus " "priority=40" "txtvers=1"]

$ avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
$ 
The SX535WD appears to have come on the market in 2011. urf= tells us it has AirPrint, which is why your printer was auto-setup. Unfortunately, it is too old to have AirScan. That means there are only two ways of scanning:
  • Via SANE's epson2 backend (driver).
  • Via whatever is offered by Epson.
Your USB connection is using the epson2 backend but the networked device is not. However, Lubuntu 20.10 seems capable of using both connections. This is quite possibley because the Lubuntu version of sane-backends is newer that what Mint 20.1 provides; version 1.0.31 versus 1.0.29.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends is maintained by a SANE developer. It would be interesting to know whether it does anything for you. I think you need libsane1 and sane-utils packages.
--
Brian.
marcusadamski

Post by marcusadamski »

Hello Brian,

I contact the Ubuntu link as you suggested, but unfortunately I didn't get much help. First I was told I cannot be helped because the question involved Mint. Then after explaining I was just looking for help in understanding if the version difference between .29 / .31 would have any impact on the wireless scanning, I was told to look at the change logs...

Anyhow, looks like I've solved the issue with a prod in the right direction from you. Looking at my installed packages, I noted sane-airscan was not installed by default in Mint 20.1. Once installed, my scanner was picked up and worked!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,
Marcus
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

marcusadamski wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:16 am Hello Brian,

Anyhow, looks like I've solved the issue with a prod in the right direction from you. Looking at my installed packages, I noted sane-airscan was not installed by default in Mint 20.1. Once installed, my scanner was picked up and worked!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,
Marcus
Hello Marcus,

Firstly: the outcome is splendid.

Secondly: I owe you an apology. I gave two ways of scanning in another post and completely forgot that sane-airscan was a third possible way. Let that be a lesson for me! You did well to follow your investigations.

It would be really useful if you would provide the outputs of

scanimage -L
and

airscan-discover
TIA.

Also, please do not forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
--
Brian.
marcusadamski

Post by marcusadamski »

Hello Brian,

No problem we got there in the end. As requested:

$ scanimage -L
device `airscan:w0:EPSON Epson Stylus SX535WD' is a WSD EPSON Epson Stylus SX535WD ip=192.168.0.80

$ airscan-discover
[devices]
  Epson Stylus SX535WD = http://192.168.0.80:80/WDP/SCAN, WSD
Thank again,
Marcus
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

marcusadamski wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:29 pm Hello Brian,