Canon TS6420 Network Printer - Not Detected

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
agpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canon TS6420 Network Printer - Not Detected

Post by agpdog »

I appreciate the extra background. I tried again being more conscience of the need for CTRL-C to end the process. I entered the nc command, waited about 10 seconds, then CTRL-C. Didn't for either. Posted below to make sure I didn't do it wrong.

adam@piercehtpc02:~$ netcat 10.0.0.189 9100 < out.urf
^C
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ nc 10.0.0.189 9100 < linux-mint.jpg
^C

I ran lp -d testq -o raw out.urf (not .dat) and saw no results at the printer.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

agpdog wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm I appreciate the extra background. I tried again being more conscience of the need for CTRL-C to end the process. I entered the nc command, waited about 10 seconds, then CTRL-C. Didn't for either. Posted below to make sure I didn't do it wrong.

adam@piercehtpc02:~$ netcat 10.0.0.189 9100 < out.urf
^C
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ nc 10.0.0.189 9100 < linux-mint.jpg
^C
Both commands look good to me. (The IP is still 10.0.0.189?)
I ran lp -d testq -o raw out.urf (not .dat) and saw no results at the printer.
Thanks for picking up on YAT :D (yet another typo). That command does not use the filtering system (-o raw) but it does use one of the IPP URIs we have earlier. Let's use a non-IPP URI. Re-run the previous lpadmin command:

Code: Select all

lpadmin -p testq -v socket://10.0.0.189:9100 -E -m raw
Then

lp -d testq out.urf
and

lp -d testq linux-mint.jpg
This command is similar to the netcat one, but some printer control is provided by using a socket:// URI.
--
Brian.
agpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agpdog »

Brian,
I confirmed that the IP has stayed the same (10.0.0.189). I attempted the commands (pasted below again to make sure I'm not screwing it up...used testqs as not to step on our previous queue name), and saw no activity at the printer. As before I did notice that I could not print from my phone while those jobs were in the queue...but once I cancelled them the mobile print job went through.

adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lpadmin -p testqs -v socket://10.0.0.189:9100 -E -m raw
lpadmin: Raw queues are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS.
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqs out.urf
request id is testqs-45 (1 file(s))
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqs linux-mint.jpg
request id is testqs-46 (1 file(s))
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

agpdog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:36 am Brian,
I confirmed that the IP has stayed the same (10.0.0.189). I attempted the commands (pasted below again to make sure I'm not screwing it up...used testqs as not to step on our previous queue name), and saw no activity at the printer. As before I did notice that I could not print from my phone while those jobs were in the queue...but once I cancelled them the mobile print job went through.
This behaviour would seem to indicate that the job gets to the printer and it is attempting to process it. That would imply the network and the URI are OK. Another sent job is not printed until this one is completed (or cancelled).

BTW, is the phone Android or Apple?
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lpadmin -p testqs -v socket://10.0.0.189:9100 -E -m raw
lpadmin: Raw queues are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS.
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqs out.urf
request id is testqs-45 (1 file(s))
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqs linux-mint.jpg
request id is testqs-46 (1 file(s))
Nothing untoward here.

My problem is in understanding why out.urf and linux-mint.jpg are not printed when sent directly to the printer. avahi-browse tells us that accepted page description languages are
pdl=application/octet-stream,image/jpeg,image/urf,image/pwg-raster
I'd maintain that the printer is obliged to accept and process image/jpeg and image/urf files sent directly, as with netcat.

In your first post I think you said you tried to use the Canon printer drivers for the network connection. Let's try again.

From lpinfo -v a URI is
cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=34-9F-7B-98-97-78

lpinfo -m | grep -i TS6400
should get you a PPD.

Substiute for URI and PPD in

lpadmin -p testq -v URI -E -m PPD
and test with

lp -d testq /etc/nsswitch.conf
--
Brian.
agpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agpdog »

Brian, I think I did something wrong with the lpadmin command, but I'm not smart enough to know what. Please see below. Note that I got three results form the lpinfo command, so I tried to make three queues (testqc1/2/3) just to be exhaustive. I got "feedback" on each lpadmin command that I wasn't expecting. The lp commands failed, my guess is because the previous step had a mistake. Thanks again.

I am using an Android phone. It and the other Windows machines on the network are not having issues.

adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lpinfo -m | grep -i TS6400
canonts6400.ppd Canon TS6400 series Ver.6.10
lsb/usr/canonts6400.ppd Canon TS6400 series Ver.6.10
driverless:ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/ Canon TS6400 series, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lpadmin -p testqc1 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=34-9F-7B-98-97-78 -E -m canonts6400.ppd
[1] 369289
-E: command not found
[1]+  Done                    lpadmin -p testqc1 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lpadmin -p testqc2 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=34-9F-7B-98-97-78 -E -m lsb/usr/canonts6400.ppd
[1] 369412
[1]+  Done                    lpadmin -p testqc2 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lpadmin -p testqc3 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=34-9F-7B-98-97-78 -E -m driverless:ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/
[1] 369556
[1]+  Done                    lpadmin -p testqc3 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqc1 /etc/nsswitch.conf
lp: Destination "testqc1" is not accepting jobs.
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqc2 /etc/nsswitch.conf
lp: Destination "testqc2" is not accepting jobs.
adam@piercehtpc02:~$ lp -d testqc3 /etc/nsswitch.conf
lp: Destination "testqc3" is not accepting jobs.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

My fault. I forgot. Put the URI in double quotes:

lpadmin -p testqc2 -v "cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=34-9F-7B-98-97-78" -E -m lsb/usr/canonts6400.ppd
lpadmin -p testqc3 -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=34-9F-7B-98-97-78 -E -m driverless:ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/
This cannot possibly work. cnijbe2://... is a Canon-specific URI. It has to be an IPP URI when driverless is used.

lpadmin -p testqc3 -v "ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/" -E -m driverless:"ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/"
I am using an Android phone. It and the other Windows machines on the network are not having issues.
I know nothing about Windows. The phone would have to be sending Apple raster or PWG raster with IPP.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

brian_p wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:43 am
I know nothing about Windows. The phone would have to be sending Apple raster or PWG raster with IPP.
Forget about the second sentence. I don't know anything about android printing either. What I wrote is nonsense :(.
--
Brian.
agpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agpdog »

Nothing to apologize for...if I knew more I would have identified it myself. I removed the three queues I made before and replaced them, fixing the quotes on the first two queues, and the URI on the third (to the IPP URI). Printing to the third queue gave me the behavior from earlier on in our troubleshooting (printer states "Communicating", but not activity and then it times out). For the first two queues, printer indicates "Printing..." and the head (or whatever it is) moves as if it is getting ready. It continues to show "Printing..." for 4-5 minutes and then kicks out a blank page. The printer then looks happy, but the print queue on the computer doesn't clear that request.

I don't know anything about Windows, Android, Apple or Linux/Unix printing...other than what I've learned here, if that makes you feel better. I only brought up the other devices working as a data point regarding the printer health. I use the mobile printing just to "cleanse the printer's palate" in between experiments to make sure I have a clear path.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I suppose getting a piece of paper (albeit blank) is a step up :).

This your third queue, I think:

lpadmin -p testqc3 -v "ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/" -E -m driverless:"ipp://Canon%20TS6400%20series._ipp._tcp.local/"
The PPD for it is /etc/cups/testqc3.ppd

In it is the line
*cupsFilter2 "image/urf/ image/urf 100 -"
Delete this line (setting up the queue again will put it back) and restart cups:

systemctl restart cups
Any printing?

You could give the cupsFilter2 lines too.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I do not imagine there is anything wrong with your printing system but, just to check, I have attached Apple raster and PWG raster files produced on my system. Uncompress them with

gunzip FILE
and send each one to the printer with netcat.
Attachments
out.urf.gz
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
out.pwg.gz
(1.34 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
--
Brian.
agpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agpdog »

Brian,

Tried your out files and get the same results I had with my own (using netcat 10.0.0.189....). Attempted to edit the .ppd file and quickly found myself out of my depth. I didn't have permission to view, edit, or even copy/compress (to send to you) that file. A quick search online indicates I need to be a superuser to mess with ppd's, and I haven't set myself up as such. Will need to investigate how to do that...let me know if you know of any good instructions. Once I get that far, what is your preferred editor for this sort of thing (with the GUI Text Editor work)? Once I edit the file and restart cups, I should be running the lp command to testqc3, correct? Just to confirm, I am doing this to testqc3, not the ones that generated the blank pages, correct?

I didn't understand this line: "You could give the cupsFilter2 lines too."

Sorry for not being an easier patient...
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

agpdog wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:52 pm Brian,

Tried your out files and get the same results I had with my own (using netcat 10.0.0.189....).
If that did not work, it is highly unlikely anything else will work, so I think it best to stop troubleshooting with this line of inquirey.
Sorry for not being an easier patient...
You have been very helpful and co-operative. Not getting the desired outcome is disappointing. I hope the following summary is accurate:
  • A queue set up with a Canon URI and PPD does not work.
  • everywhere and driverless queues do not work.
  • Jobs seem to get to the printer but are not processed, indicating the network is OK.
  • Files sent directly to the printer do not print.
  • A USB queue using the Canon drivers does work.
As matter of interest, the previously attached files can be sent over a USB connection:

sudo sh -c 'cat out.urf > /dev/usb/lp0' 
Check that /dev/usb/lp0 exists.
--
Brian.
agpdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agpdog »

Brian,

Sorry for the delayed response. Took some time to arrange for a longer term USB setup (versus extensions across the middle of my floor), but now I am set.

Well I am glad I was at least cooperative. Again, I appreciate your knowledge and patience in trying to see this through. Though I certainly don't have the intuition you have as to what your summary points mean, I believe they accurately reflect the situation. It seems that we are getting information to the printer, and it isn't the information that the printer is expecting (whether that is the fault of the receiver or transmitter...I can't guess).

Once I had the USB connection re-established, and the USB queue re-added (I had removed it before), I checked dev/usb and saw a hiddev0 file and an lp1 file. I assumed there was no issue with lp1 versus lp0 (you can correct me if I am wrong), but that I should use lp1 in the command you gave. Accordingly I ran:

sudo sh -c 'cat out.urf > /dev/usb/lp1'

...but got no result. What does that mean to you? Everything "normal" (test pages, LibreOffice prints, terminal lp commands) is working fine otherwise.

Thanks again
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

agpdog wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:13 pm Once I had the USB connection re-established, and the USB queue re-added (I had removed it before), I checked dev/usb and saw a hiddev0 file and an lp1 file. I assumed there was no issue with lp1 versus lp0 (you can correct me if I am wrong), but that I should use lp1 in the command you gave. Accordingly I ran:

...but got no result. What does that mean to you? Everything "normal" (test pages, LibreOffice prints, terminal lp commands) is working fine otherwise.

Thanks again
I do not know what it means. Normally, I test commands before advising their use but did not do so with this one. Trying it here: the paper is drawn in but is not ejected or printed on. I am a little mystified and will test at a later time.

Thanks for trying.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I checked the validity of my command. It's OK, as is yours. Repeated and decided to be patient. A printed sheet was ejected five minutes later. I've no thoughts on the delay but the printer did print an Apple raster file when it was sent directly over USB.

You said earlier:

Normally I do not question the competence of a printer but the behaviour of yours is, to say the least, unusual. I do not think I can offer any further help. Looks like you will have to tolerate trailing cables :( .
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”