HP Printer problems with Mint 20

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Uncle Tim
Level 2
Level 2

HP Printer problems with Mint 20

Post by Uncle Tim »

My HP printer problems (on the wireless network) disappeared with LM 19, and all was very wonderful. After upgrading to 20 Cinnamon, the problems are back again. Three problems continually arise:
1) It installs but won't print, I get the "unable to locate printer" message. After waiting and getting fed up, I try to reinstall...
2) It won't install. My printer isn't in the list for driver installation.
3) It goes some other "generic" route, seems to install, but trying to print a test sheet gives me a "problem with CUPS" message. Or it goes to #1 above. Over and over...

I tried installing with the terminal but got a long message of complicated nonsense in red.

With a USB cable it installs and works fine. All HP-related software packages are installed (as far as I can tell).

My older, weaker netbook with LM 19 Xfce works wonderfully. The same printer always installs/reinstalls quickly and easily with no nonsense, and works every time. I must ask: Why?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon/Xfce. Linux Mint enthusiast since spring 2012.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: HP Printer problems with Mint 20

Post by jimallyn »

Have you upgraded to 20.1? I had some problems with my HP printer on MInt 20.0, but upgrading to 20.1 fixed it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Uncle Tim
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HP Printer problems with Mint 20

Post by Uncle Tim »

Yes, it is 20.1
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon/Xfce. Linux Mint enthusiast since spring 2012.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”