HPLIP fails to install in Mint 20.1, missing dependencies

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frisket
Level 2
Level 2

HPLIP fails to install in Mint 20.1, missing dependencies

Post by frisket »

The latest HPLIP (hplip-3.21.2) from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... g/gethplip fails to install in a fresh Mint 20.1 because it cannot find the following dependency requirements:

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python3-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python3-pyqt4 (PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x))
warning: This installer cannot install 'python3-pyqt4' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.

This looks wrong: these are all common packages, but testing them in apt (after an update) shows they really do not exist in the repos.

Does anyone know the workaround? Did 20.1 fail to install some important repo without telling me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FenderGuy

Re: HPLIP fails to install in Mint 20.1, missing dependencies

Post by FenderGuy »

frisket wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:41 am The latest HPLIP (hplip-3.21.2) from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... g/gethplip fails to install in a fresh Mint 20.1 because it cannot find the following dependency requirements:

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python3-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python3-pyqt4 (PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x))
warning: This installer cannot install 'python3-pyqt4' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.

This looks wrong: these are all common packages, but testing them in apt (after an update) shows they really do not exist in the repos.

Does anyone know the workaround? Did 20.1 fail to install some important repo without telling me?
Did you download the .run AND .asc files?

Whenever I install HPLIP: I copy both files to Desktop, then install from the terminal window.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

This appears to be one of those unknown printers that appear here every now and again. Any chance of looking at the box it came in?
--
Brian.
kelebek333
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelebek333 »

You can add my PPA repository for updating hplip to 3.21.2 version with following command. PPA repository supports Linux Mint 19.x and Linux Mint 20.x series.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/hplip
After that open Update Manager and click Refesh. Then you can update update hplip to newer version.

Note: PPA repository also include hplip-plugin package. You can install this package with following command. hplip-plugin is required for some hp printers.

sudo apt install hplip-plugin
frisket
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frisket »

FenderGuy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm
frisket wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:41 am The latest HPLIP (hplip-3.21.2) from https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... g/gethplip fails to install in a fresh Mint 20.1 because it cannot find the following dependency requirements:

[snip]

Whenever I install HPLIP: I copy both files to Desktop, then install from the terminal window.
No, the link takes you to Sourceforge and the only download is the .run file. Where is the .asc file, do you know?

I have used the hplip .run files for years without problems and never needed a .asc file.
frisket
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frisket »

brian_p wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm This appears to be one of those unknown printers that appear here every now and again. Any chance of looking at the box it came in?
No, It's quite common, and I've had it two years, and it's been working perfectly under an earlier version of hplip under Mint 91 and 20.

It's the latest version of hplip under Mint 20.1 that's failing.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

frisket wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:08 pm
brian_p wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm This appears to be one of those unknown printers that appear here every now and again. Any chance of looking at the box it came in?
No, It's quite common, and I've had it two years, and it's been working perfectly under an earlier version of hplip under Mint 91 and 20.

It's the latest version of hplip under Mint 20.1 that's failing.
Two years? Then you will be familiar with the name of the model. Any chance of sharing it with the users here?
--
Brian.
FenderGuy

Post by FenderGuy »

frisket wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:07 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm

[snip]

No, the link takes you to Sourceforge and the only download is the .run file. Where is the .asc file, do you know?

I have used the hplip .run files for years without problems and never needed a .asc file.
Go to the HP Developers website and click the Download HPLIP link, then click the Download Digital Certificate link.
nekeke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nekeke »

kelebek333 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:42 pm You can add my PPA repository for updating hplip to 3.21.2 version with following command. PPA repository supports Linux Mint 19.x and Linux Mint 20.x series.

After that open Update Manager and click Refesh. Then you can update update hplip to newer version.

Note: PPA repository also include hplip-plugin package. You can install this package with following command. hplip-plugin is required for some hp printers.

Tank you so much. After failing to install the same dependencies as "frisket" I couldn't have my hp MFP M28a scan working. I followed your instructions and it works now. I'm very grateful.
System: Kernel: 5.4.0-73-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
beat_truck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beat_truck »

kelebek333 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:42 pm You can add my PPA repository for updating hplip to 3.21.2 version with following command. PPA repository supports Linux Mint 19.x and Linux Mint 20.x series.

Thank you so much for this.

I upgraded from Mint 19.3 to 20.1 and went to install the latest version of HPLIP from the HP site when the version from the repos gave me a checksum error. Then, I got the missing dependencies error. :roll:

The repos should be updated, and HP should get their crap together, too. :evil:
ponchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ponchuk »

thank you it works perfectly now. much thanks. you are a great help
ponchuk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ponchuk »

thank you worked perfectly
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

go on; tell us the model of HP ..........

Post by pdc_2 »

so we still haven't heard back yet from the shy and retiring frisket in Ireland:

.... sounds like this is at least a 2yr old printer;

as brian_p said
Two years? Then you will be familiar with the name of the model.
Any chance of sharing it with the users here?
john1953+
Level 1
Level 1

Post by john1953+ »

Thanks kekebek333. I spent hours yesterday trying to get my hp2710 to scan and failed. I found your solution late last night and ten minutes later I was scanning away. Brilliant!
vay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vay »

I registerme in the forum just to say thanks kelebek333!! This is great! Your repository allows me to fix my printer p1102w

greenys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greenys »

There's a really easy way to do this.

sudo apt install hplip

Then,

sudo apt install hplip-gui

Then you can install your drivers for your scanner too using the interface.

Works on Linux Mint 20.2.
frisket
Level 2
Level 2

Re: go on; tell us the model of HP ..........

Post by frisket »

pdc_2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:29 am so we still haven't heard back yet from the shy and retiring frisket in Ireland:
.... sounds like this is at least a 2yr old printer;
First time I've been called that :D sorry for the delay...caring for a relative.

The printer is a HP OfficeJet Pro 7720, yes, about 3 years old.

I just upgraded to Mint 20.2 and it recognised the printer well enough that I haven't needed the HPLIP stuff yet. The old problems of the CUPS built-in drivers being deficient or defective seems to have been fixed for the moment. Previously HPLIP was needed because CUPS failed to recognise the printer as 2-side capable, A3 size, and other features. So right now I haven't needed to revisit this problem.
Orac137
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orac137 »

greenys wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:44 am There's a really easy way to do this.

sudo apt install hplip

Then,

sudo apt install hplip-gui

Then you can install your drivers for your scanner too using the interface.

Works on Linux Mint 20.2.
Orac137
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Orac137 »

Best answer.
Very helpful.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”