HP LaserJet Pro MFP m130fn - hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run file does not match its checksum [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: HP LaserJet Pro MFP m130fn - hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run file does not match its checksum

Post by brian_p »

Acnestis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:29 am Hi Brian!
Hello again, Ralph.
It seems I won't be installing this M130fn as a wireless printer. It apparently doesn't have the capability that its stable-mates, the M130nw and M130fw, have.

And, as I have no access to the cable modem/router, I won't be installing it via ethernet either.
I glanced at the manual and it seems the device is capable of WiFi Direct. With a wireless adaptor on a computer, it can be contacted directly. No wireless or ethernet networking required. This is non-basement, modern technology. You might try it sometime.

You device is capable of AirPrint. My experience is that such devices also provide IPP-over-USB. Yours is the first I have come across that does not seem to use this protocol. Setting up the ipp-usb package should have been a doddle. Such is life!
Since you have shown interest in coal-fired networking, let me expand on just how mine works:

The computer in the basement/crawl-space is connected to the cable modem via ethernet. That's network #1: Shaw.ca to the XP box.

The RG-58 cable originates at my sister-in-law's computer, upstairs, where it has a 50-ohm terminator. The cable descends to the basement where it connects to a second NIC (D-Link DE-528ct) via a T-connector at the XP box. It then snakes 100 feet over to my location (travel trailer). Then on another 50 feet to the garage workbench where there are a couple more T-connectors (I can use either or both of them for internet access on computers I'm tinkering with). Then, makes its 50 foot trip back to the trailer where it has yet another spare Tee, and connects to my XP computer and, finally, to this my main computer, where it is terminated with a 50-ohm terminator. This is network #2.

The computer in the basement/crawl-space is simply the router between Shaw.ca and all these other boxes. It has no wireless capability. Nor has the cable modem any longer - "bridging" took care of that. Internet Connection Sharing takes care of doling out IP addresses to all computers on the line.

The "advantage" of using 10Base2 is that a single cable comprises the whole network. And, each segment of it can be up to 185 meters long. As many as 30 "drops" for computer connection can be accommodated. You can do the math to see how many separate ethernet cables would have had to been run to accomplish the same thing as is done with this single cable. Kinda elegant dontcha think? It's been working for years. I have, of course, bought up every D-Link DE-528ct NIC in existence for future "projects". I don't know what I'll do when I encounter a mobo without a PCI slot. :-)
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I thought my little network was complicated. You don't use carrier pigeons for postal deliveries in you part of the world, do you :).
My understanding is that the HPLIP software is HP's proprietary stuff. Is this correct?
All of HPLIP (apart from the plugins) is under a free licence.
And, how does it make its way from HP to Linux Mint's repository? And, could that transfer have resulted in this particular file's being "altered" or "corrupted", rendering it unusable?

So, at this juncture, it remains for me to wait until the next iteration of Linux Mint sees a newer version of HPLIP in the repository. It's not a big deal for me to scan to my V19.3 installation on the other HDD.
You have met a bug.
I'd like to thank you for all the time and effort you've put into helping me. It's hard for me to ask for help. I know I shouldn't be afraid to do so. Maybe it comes from 60+ years of fixing stuff for other people, thinking that I should be able to figure out EVERYTHING. Not so. Thanks for extending your hand to me. You really know your way around Linux. We'll meet again.
Sooner than you think. I dislike loose ends. Lets do HPLIP.

Download the plugin for your version of HPLIP from

https://www.openprinting.org/download/p ... P/plugins/

and install it (substituting, of course) with

Code: Select all

sudo sh DOWNLOADED_PLUGIN
Check installation by looking at /usr/share/hplip.

Also give the output of

lpstat -t
--
Brian.
Acnestis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HP LaserJet Pro MFP m130fn - hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run file does not match its checksum

Post by Acnestis »

Hi Brian!

Here's the output:

ralph@MintSSD:~/Downloads$ sudo sh hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run
[sudo] password for ralph:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.20.11 Plugin Self Extracting Archive..............................................................

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.11)
Plugin Installer ver. 3.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Plug-in version: 3.20.11
Installed HPLIP version: 3.20.11
Number of files to install: 64

note: Using PyQt5
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'

Done.
ralph@MintSSD:~/Downloads$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: HP-LaserJet-MFP-M129-M134
device for HL-2070N-series: usb://Brother/HL-2070N%20series?serial=K6J853725
device for HP-LaserJet-MFP-M129-M134: usb://HP/LaserJet%20MFP%20M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931
HL-2070N-series accepting requests since Thu 01 Apr 2021 01:47:19 PM
HP-LaserJet-MFP-M129-M134 accepting requests since Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:30:38 AM
printer HL-2070N-series is idle. enabled since Thu 01 Apr 2021 01:47:19 PM
printer HP-LaserJet-MFP-M129-M134 is idle. enabled since Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:30:38 AM
ralph@MintSSD:~/Downloads$

Amazing what can be accomplished when working with a clean file.

Question: How did you know where to look on the InterWebs to find this gem?

I have a Toshiba Tecra laptop here on which I'd installed Linux Mint 20. It's telling me that I can upgrade it to 20.1 now. With this hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run file in hand, I don't feel apprehensive about moving to 20.1.

Many thanks for this. (I secretly felt that you'd never give up.)

Take care,

- Ralph
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Is scanning possible with

simple-scan hpaio://HP/LaserJet%20MFP%20M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931
or

simple-scan hpaio:/HP/LaserJet%20MFP%20M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931
--
Brian.
Acnestis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acnestis »

Hi Brian!

Neither of those commands will drive the scanner. The first one sees the scanner, but then returns a message "Failed to Scan - unable to connect to scanner". The 2nd command returns "Contacting scanner", then returns the same error message.

I have a vague recollection of installing Simple-Scan some time ago. That may be what's listed on the Menu as "Document Scanner", and it does its job. Gscan2pdf also works fine. "Document Scanner" may have been part of the initial installation of 20.1 I dunno.

Not sure if "Simple-Scan" and "Document Scanner are one and the same.

I'm currently taking a snapshot with Timeshift on the Toshiba Tecra, preparatory to upgrading to Mint 20.1 from 20. Unfortunately, the Tecra doesn't have a USB3 port, so it looks like it'll be another 3-4 hours of writing over to that USB2 stick. I could have hooked up a SATA drive via a "toaster" connected to its eSATA port. Oh, well...

In answer to your previous question about carrier pigeons...

I don't have any, but there were 4 hummingbirds at my two feeders here, just a moment ago. Best they can handle is a Post-It Note..

Last month, I'd tried installing Ubuntu 20.10 to a computer with a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 V1.0 mobo. Got nowhere. Just a magenta screen, with a stylized line-drawing of a cat on it. No icons to click on. Nothing. I tried installing Linux Mint on it (can't remember which version), and it went off without a hitch. I posted the problem to the Ubuntu forum. It got 8-10 "views", but no replies. Perhaps - buoyed up by this scanner "success" - I'll revisit the problem. No need to address it here.

Take care,

- Ralph
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Neither command for scanning worked. I'll have to think about that. However, I can say where your issue with HPLIP probably lies.

The result from lpstat -t has
device for HP-LaserJet-MFP-M129-M134: usb://HP/LaserJet%20MFP%20M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931
usb://HP/LaserJet%20MFP%20M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931 is a URI. It is great for printing, as you know. The problem is that HPLIP expects the URI to begin with hp:// for scanning to take place. You need to set up the print queue to have an hp:// URI.

simple-scan and Document Scanner are one and the same.
--
Brian.
Acnestis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acnestis »

Hi Brian!

Interesting, but...

Both Simple Scan and Gscan2pdf work fine from the Menu.

I'm fine with that. It's all I ever wanted. Well, maybe a full head of hair...

Take care,

- Ralph
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Another scanning test:

simple-scan hp:/usb/hp_laserjet_mfp_m129-m134?serial=VNB3K03931
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Acnestis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:55 pm Hi Brian!

Both Simple Scan and Gscan2pdf work fine from the Menu.
Your first mail had
...but the scanner is not recognized.
I'm lost.
--
Brian.
Acnestis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acnestis »

Hi Brian!

The command, simple-scan hp:/usb/hp_laserjet_mfp_m129-m134?serial=VNB3K03931, returns first: "Ready to scan", then, when the "scan" button is clicked, it returns "Failed to Scan - unable to connect to scanner."

I'm happy that the scanner works from the Menu, for both Simple-Scan and Gscan2pdf.

If you're still vexed that the scanner cannot be run from the command line, I'd suggest that you not lose sleep over it.

Everything is working to my satisfaction.

Take care,

- Ralph
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Acnestis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:00 pm
Everything is working to my satisfaction.
Good, we got there! I imagine installing the plugin played some part in that.

I suggest you edit the subject header to add [SOLVED] to it.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Acnestis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:00 pm
If you're still vexed that the scanner cannot be run from the command line, I'd suggest that you not lose sleep over it.
I'll try my best :), but it is annoying. Please give

scanimage -L
That should clear up the mystery.
--
Brian.
Acnestis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Acnestis »

Hi Brian!

Here's the output:

ralph@MintSSD:~$ scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134 all-in-one
ralph@MintSSD:~$

I've searched around, and can't find a FAQ or other info on how to edit the Subject Header. Can you give me a clue?

Many thanks,

- Ralph
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Acnestis wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 am Hi Brian!

Here's the output:

ralph@MintSSD:~$ scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134?serial=VNB3K03931' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_LaserJet_MFP_M129-M134 all-in-one
ralph@MintSSD:~$
Thanks. I Used hp:/. It should have been hpaio:/. A simple typo :(.
I've searched around, and can't find a FAQ or other info on how to edit the Subject Header. Can you give me a clue?
At the top of your first post (to the right of the title) is a pencil icon. Click to edit.

Thanks for engaging; I have learnt a thing or two during our exchanges. You can now go back to observing your delightful hummingbirds!
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”