Epson Image Scan - File formats jpeg and png are greyed out

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
a_guy_on_an_island
Level 1
Level 1

Epson Image Scan - File formats jpeg and png are greyed out

Post by a_guy_on_an_island »

I have installed Image Scan! ver 2.30.4 (iscan-bundle-2.30.4.x64) according to Epson-instructions with epkowa and Sane-backend. It's running on a virtual Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa installation. The scanner is a networked Epson Perfection 10000XL (with a network interface card).

Everything works and is running stable. I can scan and I can save files. However - two file formats are grayed out in Image Scan, png and jpeg. This is unfortunate since these are the ones I want most. It is possible to scan to jpeg using the less feature rich Simple Scan frontend or save to jpeg or png after scanning from Gimp.

So what's the thing here? Have anyone else encountered this? If it were a backend problem I guess it wouldn't work with Simple scan either? Can anyone point me to where I should start looking for a the issue? Is there some component missing or a string in a config file?

I'm a bit new to Linux, so forgive me I have missed something obvious.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DannoMint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Epson Image Scan - File formats jpeg and png are greyed out

Post by DannoMint »

Ran into this after building a new Mint 20.1 computer to replace my 19.3 box. Image Scan! 2.30.4 worked fine on 19.3, but I had the same greyed-out options (JPEG, PNG). I was able to get JPEG enabled again by going into Synaptic Package Manager and installing the 'libjpeg62' package. This can probably also be done through the command line - it must not be installed by default in Mint 20.1, and apparently is needed by Image Scan!.

For PNG, it's a bit more involved. From what I found in searching online, the dependency needed is libpng12-0, which isn't available in Synaptic Package Manager. I found a post (https://codepre.com/fix-the-issue-that- ... 20-04.html) that had info about a PPA containing libpng12-0 for Ubuntu 20.04 (and other versions). I know PPAs may not be a preferred approach, but I added it and after installing the libpng12-0 package and relaunching Image Scan!, the PNG option was also enabled (as well as JPG).

Hope you find this info helpful.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”