best method for installing BROTHER printers under Linux Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

best method for installing BROTHER printers under Linux Mint

Post by wpshooter »

Is there any advantages (or disadvantages) to be had by using the drivers as per the Brother printer support website instructions to install for instance a Brother model DCP-L2540DW (which is what I have) as opposed to just letting Linux Mint install and configure this printer which is what happens the first time you connect this printer to Linux Mint computer via a USB cable. One disadvantage (that I am aware of) is that if you let Linux Mint do the install, it does NOT make the SCANNER function of this printer operational - you have to go to the Brother website and run ONLY the SEPARATE scanner driver listed there.

One reason I pose this question is because when you use the print driver installer script from the Brother support website, the script apparently pulls down and installs hundreds (if not thousands) of files from Ubuntu (is that a good or bad thing for a Linux Mint installation) ? Looking for the preferred/best way to do this.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: best method for installing BROTHER printers under Linux Mint

Post by absque fenestris »

If the printer is PostScript-capable (also BR-Script), the ridiculously small PPD description would suffice for printing.
It could be detached from the installation package.
Unfortunately, I do not know a corresponding solution for the scanner.
Since I once bought VueScan Pro, I would look for a device that can use this program.
Message from VueScan:
We reverse engineered the Brother DCP-L2540DW driver and included it in VueScan so you can keep using your old scanner.
and since my system has VueScan installed anyway, I could use the scanner immediately...
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

wpshooter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 am Is there any advantages (or disadvantages) to be had by using the drivers as per the Brother printer support website instructions to install for instance a Brother model DCP-L2540DW (which is what I have) as opposed to just letting Linux Mint install and configure this printer which is what happens the first time you connect this printer to Linux Mint computer via a USB cable. One disadvantage (that I am aware of) is that if you let Linux Mint do the install, it does NOT make the SCANNER function of this printer operational - you have to go to the Brother website and run ONLY the SEPARATE scanner driver listed there.
You have Mint 20.1. Is this an upgrade from Mint 20 or a virgin installation? Please give

Code: Select all

systemctl list-units "ipp*" | grep service
--
Brian.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

brian_p wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm
wpshooter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 am Is there any advantages (or disadvantages) to be had by using the drivers as per the Brother printer support website instructions to install for instance a Brother model DCP-L2540DW (which is what I have) as opposed to just letting Linux Mint install and configure this printer which is what happens the first time you connect this printer to Linux Mint computer via a USB cable. One disadvantage (that I am aware of) is that if you let Linux Mint do the install, it does NOT make the SCANNER function of this printer operational - you have to go to the Brother website and run ONLY the SEPARATE scanner driver listed there.
You have Mint 20.1. Is this an upgrade from Mint 20 or a virgin installation? Please give

systemctl list-units "ipp*" | grep service
It is a virgin "from scratch install", that command yields nothing.
Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Another fan of vuescan and a Brother user - only printers, none with a scanner. If you install the drivers from Brother you may get some additional capabilities, e.g. as found and installed by mint my HL-L8260CDW only offers 600x600 resolution, with the brother driver 2400x600. New printers should offer 'driverless' printing, but I've always downloaded and installed Brother's driver and CUPS wrapper.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Installing ipp-usb and sane-airscan will give you scanning capability. Both packages are needed. The second one supports your device
--
Brian.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

brian_p wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am Installing ipp-usb and sane-airscan will give you scanning capability. Both packages are needed. The second one supports your device
Thanks for your reply.

Are these 2 drivers or are they scanning applications similar to the document scanner which is installed by default with Linux Mint, which is what I have been using for years as the scanning application to perform the scanning functions from my Brother DCP-L2540DW printer.

Neither of those are currently showing as being installed on my Linux Mint Mate 20.1 but I can currently scan from my Brother printer using the document scanner application after having installed the scanning driver script from the Brother Printer Support website.

P.S. - Would I possibly need the sane-airscan since I am NOT connecting the printer wireless but use USB cable ? I keep my wireless turned-off, only turn on if absolutely necessary - am an ethernet user.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

wpshooter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 am
brian_p wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 am Installing ipp-usb and sane-airscan will give you scanning capability. Both packages are needed. The second one supports your device
Thanks for your reply.

Are these 2 drivers or are they scanning applications similar to the document scanner which is installed by default with Linux Mint, which is what I have been using for years as the scanning application to perform the scanning functions from my Brother DCP-L2540DW printer.
For ipp-usb see

apt-show ipp-usb
and

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessP ... ippoverusb

sane-airscan provides a SANE scanning driver. It works over the network (ethernet or wireless) and with a USB connection, where it requires ipp-usb.

Both packages provide a modern, supported and future-proof scanning experience on USB.
Neither of those are currently showing as being installed on my Linux Mint Mate 20.1 but I can currently scan from my Brother printer using the document scanner application after having installed the scanning driver script from the Brother Printer Support website.
Your choice.
P.S. - Would I possibly need the sane-airscan since I am NOT connecting the printer wireless but use USB cable ? I keep my wireless turned-off, only turn on if absolutely necessary - am an ethernet user.
sane-airscan works over USB with ipp-usb installed.
--
Brian.
Panocek_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Panocek_1 »

Installing ipp-usb and sane-airscan worked for my Brother DCP-1610WE.

BTW Printing worked out of the box. I'm impressed. It's first time when it works like that on linux :)
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Panocek_1 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:54 pm Installing ipp-usb and sane-airscan worked for my Brother DCP-1610WE.
Panocek_1, thank you for taking the time to relate your experience and help other users. It would be good to have the Brother DCP-1610WE recorded as working with sane-airscan on its project page. Please would you give what you get for

scanimage -L

airscan-discover
BTW Printing worked out of the box. I'm impressed. It's first time when it works like that on linux :)
This OOTB behaviour is already the norm on Debian bullseye and Ubuntu 20.10. It will eventually become the norm on Mint.

TIA.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”