Brother MFC-210C Problem

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
whistlerspa
Level 1
Level 1

Brother MFC-210C Problem

Post by whistlerspa »

Had the same problem with Dapper as well. Tried Alien modified RPM and then *.sh script install - but no joy. Also no options for paper setup. Any suggestions please.

helios
Level 1
Level 1

Brother's are a PITA...using this one as a planter soon

Post by helios »

I have an MFC 3420 or something like that, attached to my wife's XP box. It was an absolute nightmare to get to network with the rpms provided by brother, and FINALLY, when I did get it to work, I found that most of the multifuntion features were either not available or too spotty in reliability. Because they work with us to the nth degree, I buy nothing but HP now...and yes, I do reload my own cartridges. Wealthy I am not...Brother can go without my business from here on in.

h

khanate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Brother MFC-210C Problem

Post by khanate »

whistlerspa wrote:Had the same problem with Dapper as well. Tried Alien modified RPM and then *.sh script install - but no joy. Also no options for paper setup. Any suggestions please.
Just install the .deb

dpkg -i file.rpm

whistlerspa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whistlerspa »

That's what doesn't work

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Sometimes you have to meet Linux half way, not all printers are supported as you would expect in Windows. If you check the hardware database of the distro you are thinking of installing you can see what hardware you might have problems with. This is all well and good when you find you have kit that doesn't respond well but you could always sell it on and put the cash towards a more Linux friendly piece of gear.

:)
Core i7 2 x GTX 960 1 x GTX 950 Linux Mint 19.3 F@H Team Linux Mint 76140

STAY SAFE

tony
Level 1
Level 1

printer no go

Post by tony »

I have just started using ubuntu and had a problem as yours.
the answer to my problem was open the printer dialog under administration
clck add printer and make shure it was set to local printer not network printer
Hope This helps Tony :P

whistlerspa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whistlerspa »

Finally got the printer problem licked. Found this on another forum.

The solution was

1. Obtain Brother_MFC-210C_Installer.sh file. (Already had this from Dapper install - can't remember from where) and run in sudo su terminal

2. During install add this command line at each pause (don't know if this was required every time but did it anyway)

cp /usr/share/cups/model/brmfc210c_cups.ppd /usr/share/ppd/

3. On completion change properties from Network Printer to local. Whew!!!

That just leaves my Limewire problem now.

Angry123

Post by Angry123 »

I got two new blue and red ink cartridges for my brother MFC 210C but they didn't work it just kept saying no cartridge
but then I put in two other new cartridges and it worked
very frustrating errr :evil: :!:

Legend_bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Legend_bob »

Jesus, what a pain.

Couldn't find the link to the installer.sh file mentioned here so I downloaded the lpr driver and cups driver from Brother, and somehow, not quite sure how, got that to go, using some of the instructions in the Ubuntu forum message linked from here somewhere.

Now that it's working, I don't want to change anything else.

cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

I would suggest doing the following:
This might help with the Brother MFC210C : access the Brother website and search for said 210C instructions to install to linux. And follow the instructions as per site. I shall verify this at my next Linux meeting on the 14th. If I am able to.
best of luck.
:) cato

hgoertzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hgoertzen »

Hello
I am currently useing Daryna and i am able to get my Brother 230C printer working fine except for the scanner.
But when i use Elyssa beta i am unable to get it working. This also happened in Ubuntu Hardy and KDE.
Can anyone tell me what the issue is. I use the two printer drivers from the brother site and they work fine on Daryna
But not the updated versions. Maybe someone can fix this issue. Hate to be stuck with an older version of a very fine program because of a printer bug.
Thanks
Herb

terryaaa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by terryaaa »

I also have a Brother 230C that worked without a hitch in the last Ubuntu but does not work in Mint 5 and now in Mint 6; Cups sees it and green lights it but then gives error 'application/postscript'!(when trying to print test page) Tried online suggestion of reinstalling 'gs-esp' Request was ignored because gs-esp was not installed !?

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 »

I have only just started using Mint;

but when I read the postings about this topic: I wonder why folks don't go to the Brother site:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_u ... d_prn.html

that has LINUX printer drivers for every conceivable Brother printer: Brother support linux very well;

Brother make available rpm drivers for those using rpm; and .deb for those using .deb;

each printer needs firstly an lprdriver installed, and then a cupswrapper driver installed; ................ it just sort of ................ works ............................

eg I see on the OpenSuse forum, that a newbie succeeded in installing his Brother HL-5340D by doing the above (with rpms);

so for the MFC-210C one selects this page

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_u ... l#MFC-210C

and would download the lpr driver and the cupswrapper driver; install lpr first and then the cupswrapper;

Brother make an excellent install guide available too:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_u ... prn1a.html

It even has the various distros covered; so if one clicks on Ubuntu variants one gets:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_u ... e.html#002

so there may be more help out there than folks realise

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

I just got a used MFC-210c and the Repos had all the packages it needed to make it work and print like a champ.

I really like this printer because is has an internal paper tray instead of the cumbersome external trays as other brands have, like HP's.
Chakra Linux

MrD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrD »

mintnoob wrote:I just got a used MFC-210c and the Repos had all the packages it needed to make it work and print like a champ.

I really like this printer because is has an internal paper tray instead of the cumbersome external trays as other brands have, like HP's.
Does this mean the scanner works? Well, actually I suppose we should mention here I have the MFC-215C multi function unit and I have to manually download and install the MFC-210C drivers, in two stages, one for printing and one for scanner, and I've never managed to get my machine to scan. Printing seems okay, although someone needs to tell me why I can only send so many pages to print and anything over that just doesn't print. I forget the number, but know I have to send to print in small batches.
the Repos had all the packages
??? that sort of goes against my experience of having to go to the Brother site and find them.

"Missing Printer Driver" <<-- just plugged my printer unit in and turned it on and Mint 9rc told me that. I tried a manual configuration search and the model numbers coming up are nowhere near my model, there is no MFC-210C listing. I just had to resort to downloaded .deb files from the Brother site (the Alien converted cups wrappers)

cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb <<-- try to install, keeps saying "install package" after installation, not "reinstall package"
mfc210clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb <<-- Installs fine.

EDIT: well I could get my printer to print under Mint 8, but with Mint 9rc I cannot yet. Everytime I plug my printer in it says no driver installed :( It correctly identifies it as MFC-215C but can't find drivers and cannot download any :(
Dell Inspiron 1520 - T6570 2.1ghz C2D, 4 gigs ram, integrated Intel 965 GPU, Intel replacement wifi card.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

MrD talking on Brother MFC-215

Post by pdc_2 »

are you using 32bit Mint?

I ask, because with Canon printer drivers, if one has 64bit installed, one needs symbolic links to tell the system to look in lib64 rather than lib ..................

MrD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrD »

32bit all the way. I try not to install 64bit OS's due to problems with software.

I had my MFC-215c printing but not scanning in Mint 8, now just says no driver installed in 9rc when I do the same.
Dell Inspiron 1520 - T6570 2.1ghz C2D, 4 gigs ram, integrated Intel 965 GPU, Intel replacement wifi card.

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

MrD wrote:Does this mean the scanner works?
Just tried. Scanning doesn't work. Only printing.
??? that sort of goes against my experience of having to go to the Brother site and find them.
I just downloaded the files from the Synaptic and printing worked. Maybe you have to go to Brother's site to download files to get the scanner to work. I'll try to get the scanner to work and report back later.
Chakra Linux

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

[Edit]

Got scanner to work! It was easy-peasy when getting the correct Brother drivers.

Go here: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ml#brscan2

Download the following (for 32bit):

brscan2 (32bit deb 0.2.5-1)
scan-key-tool (32bit deb 0.2.1-3)

Then all I did was double-click each to open up the deb unpacker window and hit install.

[Edit]

Forgot one more step you have to do. Open the following file:

Code: Select all

sudo [gedit/kate/leafpad] /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
Then add the following at the end of the device list, but before the "# The following rule will disable ...":

Code: Select all

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
Save edited file.

Restart your computer.

That's it. To scan an item, open up xsane and hit the "Scan" button on xsane. You don't have to hit the 'Scan' button on your printer.
Chakra Linux

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

I just made a How To.
Chakra Linux

Return to “Printers & Scanners”