Canon LiDE 220 Scanner only returns black images

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gargeug
Level 1
Level 1

Canon LiDE 220 Scanner only returns black images

Post by gargeug »

I am on Linux Mint 20, Kernel 5.4.0-73-generic and attempting to use Document Scanner 3.36.3 with my Canon LiDE 220 scanner. I have been using this scanner with Document Scanner since Linux Mint 18 (at least 3-4 years now) just fine.

About a month ago or so it now only sends back black images to me. I can jump over to my Windows machine and the scanner works just fine, so it seems to me it is a driver issue in Mint, or Document Scanner, but I am relatively new to this so I am not sure where to begin.

Thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JezekiljMonk
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Canon LiDE 220 Scanner only returns black images

Post by JezekiljMonk »

I had that situation and was thinking of buying a new scanner.

Then I tried to connect my USB scanner through a HUB with its own power supply. A simple USB voltage tester was giving me 4,60 Volts when the scanned documents were turning black, and with the hub the voltage was 4,95 Volts and Scanner worked fine.

Also, at the bottom of the scanner there is a slider for locking scanner. Try to slide it to locked and then back to unlocked position. This also worked for me on one occasion.
gargeug
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canon LiDE 220 Scanner only returns black images

Post by gargeug »

Solved this. You had good insight, but it turned out to be a software bug in SimpleScan. I just uninstalled SimpleScan and reinstalled it and it started working again.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”