HP LIP inquiry

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RonLinux
Level 1
Level 1

HP LIP inquiry

Post by RonLinux »

I installed Linux mint cinnamon (I think it is 19.2) alongside Windows 7 on my father's computer. I'm worried that I don't know how to install an all-in-one HP printer on the computer. It is a 64-bit computer. Is the HP lip a GUI that allows you to change printer settings and check ink levels? I saw the HP envy 6055e at Best buy on Fordham road in the Bronx and also the 7155 and 7855 printers. I see the printers are supported by Linux but it doesn't have a plug-in support and I'm wondering if those printers are okay to use. Should I buy one of those printers and attempt to install it on Linux? Information on installing the printers are not clear for Linux and I'm doubtful I can do it. I really want to install the scanner part of the printer and have the option to crop the image and change the file format let's say to PDF or jpg. Does hp lip provide these features? Presently there is a Canon mx700 all in one printer connected to the computer and it is recognized by Linux and it is printing in black and white properly but not in color and I don't know how to get the scanner part of the Canon mx700 working. I would be satisfied if I can get the scanner part working and I don't have to buy any HP printer. I'm afraid that you all will give me very technical information on solving my issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: HP LIP inquiry

Post by brian_p »

You have quite a lot of information in your post, RonLinux .

Would you care to narrow down your concerns to a single issue?
--
Brian.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

scanning with MX700 Canon on Mint using xsane

Post by pdc_2 »

I don't know how to get the scanner part of the Canon mx700 working
we use a programme called xsane; if you open the programme called Synaptic; (find it in the Menu button that lists all the programmes);

.. if you open Synaptic and click the search button at the very right of the programme; it should find "xsane" and install it; then when you launch it, it will pause; if your mx700 is connected, it should identify it as a scanner, and ask you if you want to use it: say yes and hopefully you can scan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I'm worried that I don't know how to install an all-in-one HP printer on the computer.
I am thinking that with Mint 20.1 that one no longer needs hplip; happy to be corrected; I laboriously installed the latest hplip for our fresh install of 20.1 and the system just seems to have set up driverless options; (my interpretation); I enclose a screenshot

so just curious that if one buys a new HP; and plugs it in; it seems likely it will be set up by Mint; without needing to run hplip; happy to be corrected;
it doesn't have a plug-in support and I'm wondering if those printers are okay to use.

I think you are saying the 7155 and 7855 do not need plug-ins: well, that is just fine;

Canon do make a printer driver for that; we could guide you on its install;

before then; if you go to MENU; ADMINISTRATION; PRINTING and right-click on the icon for the MX700 that should be there;

Settings should open: can you copy what is in the MAKE & MODEL window; and tell us please by pasting the result back here?
Attachments
HP.png
RonLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RonLinux »

I installed Linux mint cinnamon (I think it is 19.2) alongside Windows 7 on my father's computer. I'm worried that I don't know how to install an all-in-one HP printer on the computer using the Linux. It is a 64-bit computer. Is the HP lip a GUI that allows you to change printer settings and check ink levels? I saw the HP envy 6055e at Best buy on Fordham road in the Bronx and also the 7155 and 7855 printers. I see the printers are supported by Linux but it doesn't have a plug-in support and I'm wondering if those printers are okay to use.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

check Mint menu (start button) and search for hp and see if hplip is there - it was for me. (HP M254dw color laserjet)

If it's NOT, don't add it unless you are well backed up as it will quite likely wreck your Mint.
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti VISION OC 8G, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
RonLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: scanning with MX700 Canon on Mint using xsane

Post by RonLinux »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:26 pm
I don't know how to get the scanner part of the Canon mx700 working
we use a programme called xsane; if you open the programme called Synaptic; (find it in the Menu button that lists all the programmes);

.. if you open Synaptic and click the search button at the very right of the programme; it should find "xsane" and install it; then when you launch it, it will pause; if your mx700 is connected, it should identify it as a scanner, and ask you if you want to use it: say yes and hopefully you can scan
Thanks; I was now able to scan with the Canon MX700
RonLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RonLinux »

I was not able to make a second scan probably because I closed the scanner windows in any order or I was supposed to save some device settings after the first scan. Can you tell me what to do?
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

With printer turned on reboot Mint and see if it catches it. Then just do Document Scanner in apps
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti VISION OC 8G, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so welcome back Ron:

seems like two current questions:
1) on scanning
2) on some of the HP Envy printers

.... for the latter ..
I see the printers are supported by Linux but it doesn't have a plug-in support
.. not sure what you mean by that; each of those 3 HP Envy printers you mentioned; are all fine with the hplip version on Mint 19 and 20 I understand; and none need HP plug-ins;

... so I am implying that plugging any one of them into your computer: Mint should recognise them and set them up to print; and scan; automatically;

..... Mint should really set them all as driverless; so hplip is not involved;

does that help answer your dilemmas?
RonLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RonLinux »

Kris345 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:24 pm With printer turned on reboot Mint and see if it catches it. Then just do Document Scanner in apps
I rebooted but that doesn't help. I am not able to do a preview scan or a scan. With the first scan I did a preview scan and then a scan, I think that's the correct process. What do you mean by scan in apps? Isn't there some settings I have to save after the first scan was done?
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

No setting that I know of, but YMMV.

press the menu or start button (far left). That pops up a menu with a search and all your apps.

Type d
select Document Scanner (down about 4).

If it finds it, then yes, preview and then scan. If it doesn't find it then sorry I have no idea - apparently each scanner is different.

For more help, maybe, on Mint forum search (top right) search scanner and maybe you will find an answer. Yeah, can be a pita...

Since this is scanner and not HP, start a new thread perhaps?
RonLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RonLinux »

Kris345 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:24 pm With printer turned on reboot Mint and see if it catches it. Then just do Document Scanner in apps
I did a timeshift and reinstalled XSANE and MX700 still wont scan. How do I include a PNG screenshot of the SANE interface. I don't know about the link on top.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

I know nothing about sane.

you stated "I don't know how to get the scanner part of the Canon mx700 working".
You will not get responses since this is a HP thread title.
Please start a new thread for the Canon mx700 and sane.

I will not answer further to this thread.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”