Trouble with HP P1109w

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maggie6424
Level 1
Level 1

Trouble with HP P1109w

Post by maggie6424 »

I am brand spankin new to linux, and I'm on mint. I think 20.1.
My printer is one that requires the proprietary software. When I go through installing, it does not ask me for the licensing agreement. I desperately need to print, and I have tried everything I can think of. I've searched everywhere for an answer.

When I try to print, it tells me "An additional driver plug-in is required to operate this printer. etc". When I select download and install the plug-in from an HP authorized server and click next, the mouse appears to be working for a few seconds. Then nothing happens. I've tried removing the printer at least five times. The same thing happens every time.
The command window does say failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module" if that helps.
I'm dying here. I so appreciate any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Trouble with HP P1109w

Post by Pierre »

Hi maggie6424 ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

which version of our LinuxMint System are you using ?.

then, from Control Center - Administration - Printers - Add ( new printer )
- - does that work ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
maggie6424
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maggie6424 »

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon v4.8.6 kernel 5.4.0-77generic
No, my printer won't work wirelessly. Something happened to it a few years ago and it has to be connected via the usb. I can't add the printer manually, but when I plug it in the install works fine. Just can't print. The diagnose option gives me nothing, basically gets stuck on debug. Trying to print the test page results in it telling me that it needs the plug-in.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

maggie6424 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 pm Mint 20.1 Cinnamon v4.8.6 kernel 5.4.0-77generic
No, my printer won't work wirelessly. Something happened to it a few years ago and it has to be connected via the usb. I can't add the printer manually, but when I plug it in the install works fine. Just can't print. The diagnose option gives me nothing, basically gets stuck on debug. Trying to print the test page results in it telling me that it needs the plug-in.
Execute

Code: Select all

dpkg -l hplip
to get your hplip version.

Download the plugin from https://www.openprinting.org/download/p ... P/plugins/. Check that you can see the downloaded file with

ls
and note its name. Install it with

sh FILE_NAME
--
Brian.
maggie6424
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maggie6424 »

Sorry if this sounds ignorant. I've already downloaded hplip. I got it directly from the hplip website.I then used the command window to run it. Are they all the same or do I need that one specifically?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

maggie6424 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:21 am Sorry if this sounds ignorant. I've already downloaded hplip. I got it directly from the hplip website.I then used the command window to run it. Are they all the same or do I need that one specifically?
A few points, Maggie.
  • I gave instructions for installing the plugin not for installing hplip.
  • What made you think of getting hplip directly from the hplip website? It is (was), AFAIAA, already installed when you installed Mint. This was a bad move.
  • The plugin version has to match the hplip version.
--
Brian.
maggie6424
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maggie6424 »

I got the version, and that seems to be a list. I have no idea how to download it, or which one.

The reason I downloaded hplip is because I couldn't figure out why the computer won't print now. Bad idea? I had no way to know that. What's done is done, and this is where I'm at now.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so Maggie; that is a several years old printer; the HP site says you just needed version 3.12 and 3.20 is now the current one; so you certainly have an up to date version ........

if it is alright to make suggestions, can I suggest you try

hp-plugin -i
as it seems you may well have the latest version of hplip and the plug-in should surely match;

with the command above, you need to open a terminal; (the black TV screen on the menu bar, near the big MENU option .....)

.... copy the above, and paste into the terminal; find the EDIT button at the top of the terminal menu bar; (it is to the right of FILE) .. and go down to PASTE .......

the goal of this command is that your system should got to the HP site; find the plug-in; download it and install it;

Return to “Printers & Scanners”