comments re HP M254dw laser and Epson 2480 scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

comments re HP M254dw laser and Epson 2480 scanner

Post by Kris345 »

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
passing this along because I googled for a driver for this and got a HPLIP for linux from HP that seemed to install well but rendered my system settings buttons inoperable and required a restore to a day prior. If you google you will see that it is a known issue for hplip.

I went to Mint Software Mgr and searched for hplip and it said that HPLIP was already installed (checkmark), and that there was something called HPLIP-GUI, so I had it install that. It shows up as "HPLIP Toolbox in the Mint applications window (start button), and LO it even shows me the levels of my toners, and many settings not available in the cups driver info in linux pi=rinters. VERY NICE!!! I believe that works for many HP printers.

My old Epson 2480 scanner serves well for my rare needs. To connect it, I first boot to windows, scan something on it, boot to linux, and NOW Document Scanner recognizes it and uses it. No driver needed, Just have to somehow wake it up, first. No idea how to do that if no win boot, but there must be a way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -

Return to “Printers & Scanners”