Why is my CM225 printer working? (not a typo)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Why is my CM225 printer working? (not a typo)

Post by graven »

Hello all,

I'm running Xfce 19.3. I have a Fuji Docuprint CM225 fw which isn't directly supported so I ended up using drivers for the Brother DCP-L2540DW which is apparently the same hardware. The Brother download page has 4 drivers for this model. One model specific, and 1 generic, plus cups wrappers for each flavour. I got it to work but I ended up installing more drivers than I needed. I'm trying to clean things up now to figure out which driver were critical. I uninstalled all of them (via synaptic) but I can't get my printer to not work. I delete it via the printer manager and every time I reboot, the printer reappears.

When I installed the drivers, I really didn't know what I was doing, but somehow, I suspect that I ended up using CUPS driverless printing. How can I verify that?

BTW, I do see the hilarious irony here. After struggling to find the drivers in the first place, my problem is that I can't get the printer to NOT work. Also, the reason I'm doing this in the first place is that I want to do a clean install of the OS and would like to figure out which drivers I actually need going forward. Additionally, I've noticed a few questions in the past where other people have asked about the CM225. Once this is resolved, I'm confident that I'll be able to help others out with this problem.

Cheers,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Why is my CM225 printer working? (not a typo)

Post by Moonstone Man »

graven wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:31 am When I installed the drivers, I really didn't know what I was doing, but somehow, I suspect that I ended up using CUPS driverless printing. How can I verify that?
Reboot.

Most of the Xerox DocuPrint CM models work quite happily with the driverless configuration.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why is my CM225 printer working? (not a typo) [SOLVED]

Post by graven »

Very strange,

After a clean OS install, the CM225 is connected right out of the box (without any drivers). I'm able to print correctly even though printing a test page fails and prints a blank page with an empty STACK:. I can't explain it. All I know is that I initially installed Xfce 19.1 and, at the time, I needed to install drivers before I could get anything to print.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Why is my CM225 printer working? (not a typo) [SOLVED]

Post by Moonstone Man »

graven wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:59 am All I know is that I initially installed Xfce 19.1 and, at the time, I needed to install drivers before I could get anything to print.
Not strange. Linux has advanced since 19.1. 19.3 is a few years newer.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why is my CM225 printer working? (not a typo)

Post by graven »

Strange to me :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”