[SOLVED] USB Scanning - Standard User (non-Admin)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Benjamint19
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] USB Scanning - Standard User (non-Admin)

Post by Benjamint19 »

Hi guys,

I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinammon (5.0.5) and have a quirky problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I have my HP DeskJet 3639 connected to my home network via WiFi and also have it connected to my LM machine via USB.

When I use "Document Scanner" (the native LM scanning app) on my admin profile, I'm able to access the scanner via the USB option.

However, I have a "Standard" LM profile set up for my wife, and when using her profile, I can only access the scanner via WiFi instead of the USB option.

Does anyone know why this might be?

I'm guessing I have to enable it somehow via the "Users and Groups" app on the admin profile, but I'm not sure which group to add her to.

The reason I'd like to scan from USB instead of over the network is because the WiFi signal between the scanner and the home network isn't great, and thus scans often get interrupted while in progress, causing noticeable imperfections in the final scanned result.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: USB Scanning - Standard User (non-Admin)

Post by brian_p »

For the Wifi connection please give

Code: Select all

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp

scanimage -L
--
Brian.
Benjamint19
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] USB Scanning - Standard User (non-Admin)

Post by Benjamint19 »

Thanks for the reply, but I figured it out!

I used this link to review which user group to add this user to:
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemGroups

I believe plugdev did the trick, since it was a USB device.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”