[SOLVED] [LM20.2] HPLIP-Installation fails

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] [LM20.2] HPLIP-Installation fails

Post by HarryF »

Hi all!

To get my HP Officejet 6600 working (especially scan because print already works) I tried to install the HPLIP package provided by HP developers. I followed this installation manual: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index. During the installation process I realized that the driver package is only for LM 20.1 (although description says LM20 in general) but I started the installation anyway.

Unfortunately, I get an error message as soon as the dependencies are to be installed (see screenshot). Some of these dependencies are definitely installed (like gcc), others are not included in the repository.

If installing this driver package was the wrong way to get the printer working, can someone tell me what the correct one is?

I'd appreciate any help.

Harry

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [LM20.2] HPLIP-Installation fails

Post by brian_p »

HarryF wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:47 am
If installing this driver package was the wrong way to get the printer working, can someone tell me what the correct one is?
Users often do what you do when encountering an issue. It frequently ends in tears :(.

Your issue is scanning. Your print queue has a name, shown in a print dialog of an application. Substitute it in

Code: Select all

lpoptions -p NAME
and give the output. Also give

lpinfo -v
and say whether you are using USB.
--
Brian.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

lpoptions
copies=1 device-uri=ipp://Officejet%206600%20%5BD25BD9%5D._ipp._tcp.local/ finishings=3 job-cancel-after=10800 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=1627476028 marker-colors=#000000,#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00 marker-high-levels=100,100,100,100 marker-levels=90,80,70,60 marker-low-levels=0,0,0,0 marker-names='black\ ink,cyan\ ink,magenta\ ink,yellow\ ink' marker-types=inkCartridge,inkCartridge,inkCartridge,inkCartridge number-up=1 printer-commands=none printer-info='HP Officejet 6600' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-is-temporary=false printer-location printer-make-and-model='HP Officejet 6600, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1627476056 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=135244 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost/printers/HP-Officejet-6600

lpinfo
network http
network beh
network ipp
network https
file cups-brf:/
network lpd
network socket
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
network ipps
network smb
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

device-uri=ipp://Officejet%206600%20%5BD25BD9%5D._ipp._tcp.local/
You are apparently not using USB (you failed to say). This URI is fine for printing but it will not give automatic scanning when using HPLIP. HPLIP expects the device-uri to use its own scheme that begins with hp:/net/. You need to alter the printing setup to provide a URI of this form. (hp-setup -i might help).
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Thinking about my previous response I am now having doubts. I am inclined to think scanning should take place with you present printer URI. Still thinking.
--
Brian.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Now that you mention it... I'm sorry for that. In fact, I forgot to say that I want to use the scanner, as well as the printer, via WLAN.

On my previous computer with LM18.3, both worked perfectly. So I assumed that it would not be a problem now either.

And with regard to your previous comment: I prefer to try it out myself first and learn as I go. If that doesn't work, I search the forums and only ask questions if I don't get anywhere. That's how I learned a few years ago, as a former Windows crack, to get along with Linux, at least to a large extent.

Thanks for your help.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

After some thought, I am reverting to the advice in my first post and pointing you at

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermai ... 24117.html
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... otScanning

The basic reason is that HPLIP gets a scanner URI from the CUPS URI
--
Brian.
Jonathan_TA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jonathan_TA »

From what I learned to solve my EPSON printer issues, I checked to see if any dependencies had to be installed first (for EPSON, is the "lsb" dependencies first), and installed the printer drivers and utilities after that. Then I had to go into CUPS and set it up with the correct model in the Administration tab. Those three things are what helped solve my printer and scanner issues and got my EPSON to work 100% without errors, even across multiple apps like Libre Office.

The "lsb" dependencies to be installed first were in the fine print of the EPSON printer drivers page. I ended up solving my own problem through research. See my "Regarding EPSON Printers" thread near the top as a guide. It may help you look for anything extra you may need to get your HP Printer and Scanner working.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Thanks a lot for your help.

I went through all your information and some more I found on different web sides, but nothing worked. No matter how I do it, it always requires dependencies that cannot be installed. Apparently the changes from LM20.1 to 20.2 are so serious that HPLIP cannot be installed here. In that case, I will only use the device as a printer for the time being and will have to dig out my old Canon scanner (which I had actually wanted to scrap long ago) again until hopefully a HPLIP support for LM20.2 will be released.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Please provide the IP address of the 6600.
--
Brian.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Sure, it's 192.168.0.13.

But why? The printer part is working. So there's a connection to the OJ 6600.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

HarryF wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:48 pm Sure, it's 192.168.0.13.

But why? The printer part is working. So there's a connection to the OJ 6600.
The success of this suggestion depends on the state of your HPLIP installation after unwisely replacing a Mint package with an HPLIP package provided by HP developers.

Can you scan with

simple-scan hpaio:/net/officejet_6600?ip=192.168.0.13
or

simple-scan hpaio:/net/officejet_6600?ip=192.168.0.13&queue=false
--
Brian.
MojoMagician
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MojoMagician »

HarryF wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:56 pm Thanks a lot for your help.

I went through all your information and some more I found on different web sides, but nothing worked. No matter how I do it, it always requires dependencies that cannot be installed. Apparently the changes from LM20.1 to 20.2 are so serious that HPLIP cannot be installed here. In that case, I will only use the device as a printer for the time being and will have to dig out my old Canon scanner (which I had actually wanted to scrap long ago) again until hopefully a HPLIP support for LM20.2 will be released.
Same problem here for me, all was working for print and scan until 20.2. Hopefully we can get an HPLIP update quickly (sigh) - the HPLIP installer fails as you say. i am on USB and printing is fine, scanning runs (appears to scan whole of scan bed) but then does not post an image with error Failed to Scan - Unable to Start Scan. Frustrating as all works well on Pop-OS latest version, Ubuntu 21.04 and Manjaro.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

MojoMagician wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:47 pm
Same problem here for me, all was working for print and scan until 20.2. Hopefully we can get an HPLIP update quickly (sigh) - the HPLIP installer fails as you say. i am on USB and printing is fine, scanning runs (appears to scan whole of scan bed) but then does not post an image with error Failed to Scan - Unable to Start Scan. Frustrating as all works well on Pop-OS latest version, Ubuntu 21.04 and Manjaro.
  • Same problem. Probably not.
  • Post a new message in a new thread.
  • Say what printer you have and whether it is connected by USB or network.
--
Brian.
HarryF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryF »

Hi all,

I finally solved the problem. After reading in various other sources that the OfficeJet 6600 is actually already supported by the HP driver supplied, I completely uninstalled the HPLIP version I had installed and all dependencies with purge and only reinstalled the HPLIP from the standard repository. During the subsequent printer installation, a CUPS error appeared briefly, but I was able to fix it with a --reinstall of CUPS.

Now both the printer and the scanner seem to work.

Thanks for your help that made me a little bit wiser ;-) .

Harry
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (Solved) [LM20.2] HPLIP-Installation fails

Post by brian_p »

Editing the subject of your first post to have [SOLVED] in it would be good.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”