Epson inkjet & Mint 20.2 - Colors misaligned

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bill_35
Level 1
Level 1

Epson inkjet & Mint 20.2 - Colors misaligned

Post by Bill_35 »

I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, and via wifi, trying to print to Epson NX-420. Printer colors are FAR out of alignment. Prints grayscale perfectly. Printing a test page shows the printer heads are in perfect alignment. Issue seems to be within the print drivers? However, issue appeared using Epson drivers and also now appears using CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.3 driver.

Any thoughts? (Thanks!!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[running Linux Mint 19.3 cinnamon amd64 on HP ENVY x360-15-u483cl laptop with Intel i7]
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Epson inkjet & Mint 20.2 - Colors misaligned

Post by wallyUSA »

My hp printer prints a test pattern which I have to scan to fix alignment. Hard to believe it is a driver issue. Did you try the scan step?

EDIT: Can you test the printer on another device?
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
thedeerhunter270
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

I have the same problem with Mint and printing - colors misaligned. I don't use an NX-420, I use a SX-425, but it uses the same driver.

On others systems, Windows, Ubuntu or any other Debian based distro it works fine and printing is correct on that printer.
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

wallyUSA wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:06 pm My hp printer prints a test pattern which I have to scan to fix alignment.
HP (and maybe brother) are the only ones have that option ....
Epson and Canon have yet to stumble on that advanced concept.
Last edited by lewtwo on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have an Epson ET-2550 on a WiFi network, and so far, have never had misalignment problems with the following:

Cinnamon on 17.3, 18.3, 19.3 and 20.2

the one thing that really is irksome, is a brief power spike, dip, or outage.
The printer refuses to come back online, it must be shutdown and allows to sleep several minutes, then power it back on.

and every APS UPS supply I have seen has a warning against using it for Printers.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
thedeerhunter270
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if this is related - but when I set up a printer the Ubuntu the driver it installed gave the me the same misaligned colours. I could select NX420 from the database and this corrected the problem. I can't seem to find that option on Mint?
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

thedeerhunter270 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:58 pm I'm not sure if this is related - but when I set up a printer the Ubuntu the driver it installed gave the me the same misaligned colours. I could select NX420 from the database and this corrected the problem. I can't seem to find that option on Mint?
It seems that every time I need to mess with our printer, I have to boot into Windows to get the printer app to run, then instruct it to go thru the alignment steps.

This happens more often than we want, because every time that printer is turned OFF, it forgets everything, and goes back to Factory Settings. :x

which means that when the Power Grid hiccups, off it goes and won't turn back ON, unless we push the ON button.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
thedeerhunter270
Level 1
Level 1

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:27 pmIt seems that every time I need to mess with our printer, I have to boot into Windows to get the printer app to run, then instruct it to go thru the alignment steps.
This is my setup on Ubuntu 20.04 - it seems to have the same functionality to the windows driver.

I did try to reproduce this on Mint - but once I'd found the database settings and tried to change the driver it hung.
Attachments
NX420.jpg
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

thedeerhunter270 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:27 pmIt seems that every time I need to mess with our printer, I have to boot into Windows to get the printer app to run, then instruct it to go thru the alignment steps.
This is my setup on Ubuntu 20.04 - it seems to have the same functionality to the windows driver.

I did try to reproduce this on Mint - but once I'd found the database settings and tried to change the driver it hung.
You and I are talking about two different topics altogether.

I am speaking of the Printer Utility, that tells the printer to realign the Injets on the paper, to remove blank lines in solid images.

Your image appears to be the Install utility for the printer.
So far, I have never been able to do that from Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

I have LM20.2 Cinnamon on a separate laptop, have not looked at the printer utility there, doubt I even installed any printers on that one, it is just an experiment.
thedeerhunter270
Level 1
Level 1

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:37 pmYou and I are talking about two different topics altogether.

I am speaking of the Printer Utility, that tells the printer to realign the Injets on the paper, to remove blank lines in solid images.
Ah. Apologises for not reading your post thoroughly.
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Return to “Printers & Scanners”