[SOLVED]Suddenly, no printing of PDF files.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
88+richard m
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Suddenly, no printing of PDF files.

Post by 88+richard m »

Here are the basics of my system:

LinuxMint 20.2 Cinnamon, Cinnamon Version 5.0.5, Linux Kernel 5.4.0-81 generic, Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphicsx4, Memory 13.7GB, Hard Drives 1001.3Gb, Display is a Dell 27" 2560X1440 60 Hz running on HDMI.

Printer is the HP LaserJet Pro M283 fdw.

The printer is set as wireless only -- that is it is not connected physically to any of the 5 computers that use it.

When I first began to try Linux Mint, the Linux system found the printer and I was able to print anything from any application. Now, I can't print a PDF from Ocular nor from xreader. The printer will sometimes eject blank paper and will print an error as follows:

ERROR:
undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:
STACK:
--nostringval--
-mark-
-mark-
-mark'

I have no idea what "update" has caused this, so I did a recovery from the Time Shift program, but it still doesn't work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ferrari2001
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Suddenly, no printing of PDF files.

Post by ferrari2001 »

That is some kind of postscript error. To start with...which printer driver are you using? I assume that you're using HPLIP?

This can help with understanding the configured driver (filter)...

Code: Select all

sudo egrep -i "model|filter" /etc/cups/ppd/* 
...and this will tell us printer status and the CUPS backend in use...

lpstat -t
Examining the CUPS error log can sometimes yield more information about what is going wrong. It can be a lengthy file though, so I often delete the existing file first

sudo rm -f /var/log/cups/error_log
Put CUPS into debug mode (more verbose output) with

sudo cupsctl --debug-logging
Now attempt to print something (eg a single page PDF), and then examine 'error_log', grepping for filter-related output. For example,

egrep -iA3 "filter|error" /var/log/cups/error_log
BTW, the '</>' button in the forum editor is used to provide code tags. Make sure you enclose any output that you share here within them to preserve formatting and make things easier to read.
88+richard m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 88+richard m »

Thanks for the reply. Here is the result of the first line that you suggested:

@Linux:~$ sudo egrep -i "model|filter" /etc/cups/ppd/* 
[sudo] password for :        
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*ModelName: "Canon iX6800 series"
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*NickName: "Canon iX6800 series, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4"
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "image/urf image/urf 100 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "image/jpeg image/jpeg 0 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*OpenUI *ColorModel/Print Color Mode: PickOne
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *ColorModel
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*ColorModel RGB/Color: "<</cupsColorSpace 19/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*ColorModel Gray/Monochrome: "<</cupsColorSpace 18/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*DefaultColorModel: RGB
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*CloseUI: *ColorModel
/etc/cups/ppd/Canon_iX6800_series.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-pdf application/pdf 0 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax.ppd:*cupsModelName: "HPFax2"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax.ppd:*cupsModelNumber:  2
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax.ppd:*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 hpcupsfax"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax.ppd:*ModelName:     "HP Fax2 hpcups"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*ModelName: "HP ColorLaserJet MFP M282-M285"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*NickName: "HP ColorLaserJet MFP M282-M285, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-pdf application/pdf 0 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "image/urf image/urf 100 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/PCLm application/PCLm 200 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-pdf application/vnd.hp-pclxl 300 gstopxl"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-postscript application/postscript 500 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-raster application/vnd.hp-pcl 700 rastertopclx"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "image/jpeg image/jpeg 0 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*OpenUI *ColorModel/Print Color Mode: PickOne
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *ColorModel
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*ColorModel Gray/Monochrome: "<</cupsColorSpace 18/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*ColorModel AdobeRGB/Deep Color (Wide Color Gamut, AdobeRGB): "<</cupsColorSpace 20/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*ColorModel DeviceRGB/Device RGB: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*ColorModel DeviceGray/Device Gray: "<</cupsColorSpace 0/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*ColorModel RGB/Color: "<</cupsColorSpace 19/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsColorOrder 0/cupsCompression 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*DefaultColorModel: RGB
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*CloseUI: *ColorModel
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-pdf application/pdf 0 -"
@Linux:~$ 
AND HERE IS THE SECOND ONE:

@Linux:~$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_
device for Canon_iX6800_series: implicitclass://Canon_iX6800_series/
device for HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_: implicitclass://HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_/
device for HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax: hpfax:/net/HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285?ip=192.168.1.251
Canon_iX6800_series accepting requests since Thu 16 Sep 2021 06:33:02 AM PDT
HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_ accepting requests since Thu 16 Sep 2021 12:49:19 PM PDT
HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax accepting requests since Wed 15 Sep 2021 01:44:45 PM PDT
printer Canon_iX6800_series is idle.  enabled since Thu 16 Sep 2021 06:33:02 AM PDT
printer HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_ is idle.  enabled since Thu 16 Sep 2021 12:49:19 PM PDT
printer HP_ColorLaserJet_MFP_M282-M285_fax is idle.  enabled since Wed 15 Sep 2021 01:44:45 PM PDT
@Linux:~$ 
NOTE: I updated to the hplip drivers with the latest version and it still won't print PDF's. Will print text from the text editor and Libre Office as well as images from Gimp.
I can't find the log file that you mentioned in order to delete it. I can see the logic -- might as well concentrate only on the current issue rather than look at the many PDF's that were processed properly by the older version of HPLIP before something interfered with it.
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They help retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.
ferrari2001
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ferrari2001 »

I can see from the output you've shared that Implicit Classes are used....

device for HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_: implicitclass://HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_/
That is used when you have a bunch of printers grouped together as a pool and appearing as one printer. Also often with a pool of CUPS servers. Did you really require/intend that?

Some info on this here...
https://hub.packtpub.com/cups-how-manag ... -printers/
https://www.unix-ninja.com/p/CUPS_Print ... Mini-HOWTO

This might need others to chime in here, as I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of configuration.

Now, I also note the following...

/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*NickName: "HP ColorLaserJet MFP M282-M285, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "image/urf image/urf 100 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/PCLm application/PCLm 200 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-pdf application/vnd.hp-pclxl 300 gstopxl"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-postscript application/postscript 500 -"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "application/vnd.cups-raster application/vnd.hp-pcl 700 rastertopclx"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd:*cupsFilter2: "image/jpeg image/jpeg 0 -"
This does not look as I anticipated, with multiple filters defined for the LaserJet (with different costs to assign precedence). I was expecting to see only...

"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 hpps"
or similar (for HPLIP only configuration).

This looks to be the default filter...

"application/vnd.cups-pdf application/pdf 0 -"
...which AFAIK essentially means that the driverless (IPP Everywhere) printing is preferred.

BTW, does the Canon printer print as expected?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

ferrari2001 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:29 am I can see from the output you've shared that Implicit Classes are used....

That is used when you have a bunch of printers grouped together as a pool and appearing as one printer. Also often with a pool of CUPS servers. Did you really require/intend that?
To try to keep things neat and tidy, I will deal with ferrari2001's response in a number of posts and then propose a solution.

Richard has two modern printers. Both have been automatically set up by cups-filters and cups-browsed. This is by design and intended to make printing just work. implicitclass:// is part of the auto-setup procedure and a user does not get to choose. There is nothing wrong here and it is not a factor is the issue. BTW, the issue is indeed a PostScript one, as ferrari2001 said.

Also note that HPLIP is not involved in any of this and my advice would be not to involve it in any way. It hasn't any part to play.
--
Brian.
ferrari2001
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ferrari2001 »

brian_p wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:35 am To try to keep things neat and tidy, I will deal with ferrari2001's response in a number of posts and then propose a solution.

Richard has two modern printers. Both have been automatically set up by cups-filters and cups-browsed. This is by design and intended to make printing just work. implicitclass:// is part of the auto-setup procedure and a user does not get to choose.
As I had suspected, so thanks for chiming in here brian_p.
There is nothing wrong here and it is not a factor is the issue. BTW, the issue is indeed a PostScript one, as ferrari2001 said.
Thanks for confirming. Next steps?
Also note that HPLIP is not involved in any of this and my advice would be not to involve it in any way. It hasn't any part to play.
Also good to know. I like the idea of driverless printing (but no direct experience with using it), so will watch this thread with interest.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

ferrari2001 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:29 am
Now, I also note the following...

The PPD file, including this portion, is generated by cups-filters during the auto-setup. It looks OK to me, but I have not thoroughly checked.

Okular sends a PDF to the printing system but converts it to PostScript first. The printing system decides, on the bais of costs, which filters to use and what to send to the printer. I have not checked the costs, but will do so later. My guess is that it will send a PostScript file.

It has been known for many years that PostScript interpreters on printers are buggy. That is why there is a PostScript error in printing. It is a failure of the printer, not the printing system.

A solution follows in the next post.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Whether my previous analysis is totally correct or not, the following solution should enable printing using Okular.

Execute the command

driverless
Copy the output and substitute it for URI in this command:

lpadmin -p laserjetM283 -v URI -E -m everywhere
The print queue is set up manually with a PPD generated by CUPS, not cups-filters.

Test printing from Okular.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

ferrari2001 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:45 am
brian_p wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:35 am To try to keep things neat and tidy, I will deal with ferrari2001's response in a number of posts and then propose a solution.

Richard has two modern printers. Both have been automatically set up by cups-filters and cups-browsed. This is by design and intended to make printing just work. implicitclass:// is part of the auto-setup procedure and a user does not get to choose.
As I had suspected, so thanks for chiming in here brian_p.
Thanks for seeking out good information from Richard, ferrari2001. The problem is interesting.
There is nothing wrong here and it is not a factor is the issue. BTW, the issue is indeed a PostScript one, as ferrari2001 said.
Thanks for confirming. Next steps?
I would like to confirm (or not) that a PostScript file is sent to the printer. I could do it myself but perhaps Richard would help out here by conducting this small test? Execute

sudo cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd -m printer/foo -e --list-filters PSFILE 
PSFILE is any PostScript file found on your machine or off the net.
--
Brian.
88+richard m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 88+richard m »

Thanks for the replies -- I didn't realize that Okular sent pdf files a postscript files. Tomorrow, I will try the suggested solutions and see what happens. (Right now, I am on my Win 10 machine to do some updates.

The odd thing is that the printing worked perfectly for the entire time I have used the Linux box ( a couple of months) until some update got me. I guess I should have learned to make a Time Shift backup before allowing ANY update!!!!
88+richard m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 88+richard m »

brian_p wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:24 am Whether my previous analysis is totally correct or not, the following solution should enable printing using Okular.

Execute the command

driverless
Copy the output and substitute it for URI in this command:

lpadmin -p laserjetM283 -v URI -E -m everywhere
The print queue is set up manually with a PPD generated by CUPS, not cups-filters.

Test printing from Okular.
I executed the diriverless command and the following presented:
richard@Linux:~$ driverless
ipp://Canon%20iX6800%20series._ipp._tcp.local/
ipp://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%20MFP%20M283fdw%20(FBC086)._ipp._tcp.local/
richard@Linux:~$

Now, I am not quite sure what exactly should replace URI in the second recommended command. I would guess that it is the line referring to the hp printer.
88+richard m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 88+richard m »

I would like to confirm (or not) that a PostScript file is sent to the printer. I could do it myself but perhaps Richard would help out here by conducting this small test? Execute
CODE: SELECT ALL

sudo cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M283fdw_FBC086_.ppd -m printer/foo -e --list-filters PSFILE
PSFILE is any PostScript file found on your machine or off the net.
I have never seen or used a PostScript file. There are certainly none of these on any of my several computers. I have no idea where to find such a file on the internet.

I am pretty sure that something in my Linux box is sending PDF files as PS files because the printer prints and error page that references PostScript errors. The goofy thing is that I printed PDF files until some update got me and now I can't print simple jpeg images from Gimp to the HP printer.
88+richard m
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Suddenly, no printing of PDF files.

Post by 88+richard m »

SOLVED -- I found several articles and videos about installing a printer using CUPS. I removed the HP printer first and then accessed CUPS by using a browser and loading http://localhost:631. Then I simply added my printer as a Postscript printer. Now everything works. PDF's are printed as are photos from GIMP. All the other stuff I tried failed, but this worked.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”