PDF Files default to "Print as PDF" (file) [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dismasop
Level 1
Level 1

PDF Files default to "Print as PDF" (file) [SOLVED]

Post by dismasop »

I've noticed that recently (last six months or so, incl. previous versions of Mint Cinnamon), every time I attempt to print a PDF from a web browser or other program, it will always give me only the "Save as PDF" as an option. If I click on the "Print using System Dialog" on the bottom, I can print as normal, without any errors or problems.

Is there a way to tell Linux Mint Cinnamon to just give me the normal printers or all the printers from the first prompt?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: PDF Files default to "Print as PDF" (file)

Post by brian_p »

dismasop wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:53 pm I've noticed that recently (last six months or so, incl. previous versions of Mint Cinnamon), every time I attempt to print a PDF from a web browser or other program, it will always give me only the "Save as PDF" as an option. If I click on the "Print using System Dialog" on the bottom, I can print as normal, without any errors or problems.

Is there a way to tell Linux Mint Cinnamon to just give me the normal printers or all the printers from the first prompt?
For Firefox:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1322516
For now you can flip a pref on the about:config page to revert to the old print dialog.

print.tab_modal.enabled = false

You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can click the button to "Accept the Risk and Continue".
--
Brian.
dismasop
Level 1
Level 1

Re: PDF Files default to "Print as PDF" (file) [SOLVED]

Post by dismasop »

Thanks! That fixed Firefox, and led me to find the solution for Chromium. The only help I could find with Chromium browsers has to do with adding an argument to the shortcut.

So I added -disable-print-preview to the launch argument via the menu editor.

Thanks again!
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: PDF Files default to "Print as PDF" (file)

Post by brian_p »

Glad you are fixed. A nice tip for Chromium.

Please edit the subject of your first post and add [Solved] to it.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”