printer recommendation

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moiled
Level 1
Level 1

printer recommendation

Post by moiled »

Hi,

I have been running Linux Mint for a year now on my laptop with dualboot windows 10. I love Linux and wish i had used it long before i finally did. A few things stop me from removing Windows completely and one of these is the printer - the one i had was an old Epson and it would not be detected via wifi and only via USB.

I read in the pinned section of this forum that HP drivers usually work by default. I am quite happy following the steps in the pinned post if needed. As i am now needing to replace the printer i had, is there a newish HP printer/scanner that works with Wifi and USB that people run with Linux Mint? I only need a cheap printer as it will have limited usage and ideally is still available on Amazon.

thanks
Oli.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: printer recommendation

Post by brian_p »

moiled wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:31 pm Hi,

I have been running Linux Mint for a year now on my laptop with dualboot windows 10. I love Linux and wish i had used it long before i finally did. A few things stop me from removing Windows completely and one of these is the printer - the one i had was an old Epson and it would not be detected via wifi and only via USB.

I read in the pinned section of this forum that HP drivers usually work by default. I am quite happy following the steps in the pinned post if needed.
Forget about HP drivers and HPLIP. They are redundant and unneeded with a modern HP printer.
As i am now needing to replace the printer i had, is there a newish HP printer/scanner that works with Wifi and USB that people run with Linux Mint? I only need a cheap printer as it will have limited usage and ideally is still available on Amazon.
Buy any HP printer you want. It will work on USB and network with Mint 20.2.
--
Brian.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

My HP Printer is quite old but it was working with Mint 18.1 with a reliability of let's say 9/10
Since I am with Mint 19.3 it is catastrophic, reliability 1/20

On LM 18 the installation was automatic, never had to do anything
With 20 mucho mucho problem
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
moiled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by moiled »

thanks for replies above - i'll try one of the newer HP's and put an update on here

Return to “Printers & Scanners”