Printer cutting off bottom of pages, random per page?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cobertos
Level 1
Level 1

Printer cutting off bottom of pages, random per page?

Post by cobertos »

Hey,

I'm trying to print a 13 page .pdf and it seems to randomly cut off bottom pieces of each page. Each page cuts off at the same place, even on multiple prints, but the place differs by page (page 3 always prints all but the last 10%, page 2 always prints everything, page 1 always prints only the first 10%). This is only on print, and not on print preview or anything. All "Shrink to Printable Area", "Scale to Printable Area", and "None" seem to exhibit this behavior.

The printer is a Brother HL-22700W, it's connected using USB. `echo $LC_PAPER` is `en_US.UTF-8`. `cat /etc/papersize` is letter. "Media size" in Printers -> [Printer] -> Properties -> Job Options is `US Letter`. I've tried this .pdf itself as well as a "Print to .pdf" in Firefox and _then_ printing that and both exhibit the same issue. Document Viewer "Paper Size" is `US Letter, Portrait`

The only thing I've been able to get to work is shrink every page by 90%. 95% for example, works with some pages but not others. Here's an example of Page 1 at different scaling sizes (and a test page on the left):

Any ideas? I'm stumped.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Printer cutting off bottom of pages, random per page?

Post by GELvdH »

Can you check in the PDF files to see it there are some form of tab, cr or other page delimiter characters?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Problem with just this pdf or all pdfs?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cobertos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cobertos »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 am Problem with just this pdf or all pdfs?
Seems like not just that one.

This one prints fine: http://www.pdf995.com/samples/pdf.pdf
This one prints fine: https://zsory-furdo.hu/evcms_medias/upl ... stfile.pdf
This one gets cut off: http://continuousinksupplysystem.com.au ... ls-MIR.pdf

Printouts IRL from above:

GELvdH wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 pm Can you check in the PDF files to see it there are some form of tab, cr or other page delimiter characters?
`pdftotext Petition\ to\ Change\ Name\(1\).pdf out.txt; grep -P '[\t\f]' out.txt` seems to return quite a few lines for both '\t' and '\f' separately. I didn't find any instances of '\r'. Is this the information you were looking for?

I recreated an anonymous version of the original .pdf that exhibits the same behavior. Uploaded it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/l92stp51 ... R.pdf/file

Additionally, this printer has worked fine for me since college, though only within the past year have I been using Linux Mint. I can test on a Windows computer with the problem files later if that'd help.
Last edited by cobertos on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

I took your anonymous version and printed pages 3 and 5 of the PDF with no problem. (P1102w)

It may be with your printer that you simply have to reduce an occasional few PDFs to get them to print right.
-- ASUS Prime Z790-V WIFI, I9-12900k, UEFI/GPT, 32GB, Sam 980 Pro 1T M.2 .
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -

Return to “Printers & Scanners”