[SOLVED] Epson ET-2810 printing problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Epson ET-2810 printing problems

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks; it is just that I have seen some of these curly and seemingly tricky problems solved; when someone gets fed up and just elects off their own bat to do a fresh install; and reports all fixed;

is this the first printer that you have connected to this 7 month old system? ..... I ask as you said 2 days ago ......."I got a new printer" .......

hopefully though brian has his thinking cap on and can save the day

second question: how many icons to print; do you have in your PRINTERS folder? Can you show us a screenshot of that folder? Can you also give us a screenshot of right-clicking on each entry in that printers folder; and showing us the PROPERTIES window, so we can see those please?
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MSB »

Sorry, I can not make screenshots atm as it is in the middle of the night and I am on a laptop now :wink:

But it is a second printer that was supposed to go on my partners system. Both systems are mostly the same, only a different processor and vid card. Same Linux and same install date. It also does not work on her system. Excactly the same programs that work or not.

If I recall correct, I see 4 icons, one is the old Samsung printer, second the new Epson via wifi and a third is the Epson wifi one on my partners system, as it auto connects to our computers. The fourth is the one made with Brians lpadmin command. But will have to check tomorrow.

My Samsung printer, which worked flawlessly, has not been connected for weeks, so should not conflict and also was never on my partners system before.

Even tried turning off the firewall to no avail. Just looks weird to me that xed doesn´t print normally but does fine with the terminal command.

I Appreciate the help a lot already guys, thanks! :D

Edit - Good morning, added pictures

The printer Brian's code added
et2810.png
Epson I see from my partners wifi on the network
EPSON_ET_2810_Series.png
Epson I see via my own computer on the wifi network
EPSON-ET-2810-Series.png
Last edited by MSB on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MSB »

The Samsung that is installed on my computer
M2020.png
And all together on my computer
Printers.png
Hope it helps.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

MSB wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:15 pm Here you go.

Hope you do not need it after trying to print as it is too large after that to add here, even cut in 3 parts it says too big

The error_log does not show any real sign of printing as not all info is there. I should have advised you to have compressed the file. Try getting a new file to send. First empty the error_log with

Code: Select all

sudo truncate -s 0 /var/log/cups/error_log
Print and then compress with

sudo gzip /var/log/cups/error_log
You could try Evince for viewing and printing PDFs: viewtopic.php?t=318653
--
Brian.
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MSB »

I may have found a solution and would like your opinion on it. Reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=356931

I added a new printer with Cups and used a Gutenprint driver and it works seemingly for a 100% now :D But it is from another series, 2700 instead of the 2800. But I think the hardware on them is the same.
Gutenprint.png
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

MSB wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:38 am I may have found a solution and would like your opinion on it. Reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=356931

I added a new printer with Cups and used a Gutenprint driver and it works seemingly for a 100% now :D But it is from another series, 2700 instead of the 2800. But I think the hardware on them is the same.
Printing is printing. How can one argue with success? :D

I still cannot understand why Xreader should print with Gutenprint and not with driverless or the Epson driver.
--
Brian.
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MSB »

Was strange to start with, that Firefox and Libre had no problems at all. But printing is printing indeed :D
In the beginners sections there is the same model with the same problems and one called the printer a preemie.
I got no clue about it all, if there is a driver or some kind in the printer itself that could be faulty/new programming.

But anyway, thanks for all the help :D

I will put my solution in the first post
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

MSB wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:43 am Was strange to start with, that Firefox and Libre had no problems at all. But printing is printing indeed :D
In the beginners sections there is the same model with the same problems and one called the printer a preemie.
I got no clue about it all, if there is a driver or some kind in the printer itself that could be faulty/new programming.
My best guess is that the issue involves the device's firmware. However, may I ask a favour? Install sane-airscan and give

scanimage -L

airscan-discover
--
Brian.
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Epson ET-2810 printing problems

Post by MSB »

Sure

scanimage -L
device `airscan:w1:EPSON ET-2810 Series' is a WSD EPSON ET-2810 Series ip=192.168.1.52

airscan-discover
[devices]
  EPSON ET-2810 Series = http://192.168.1.52:80/WDP/SCAN, WSD
Scanner works :D

Firmware that is available is up-to-date btw. Was one of the possible solutions given here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=359662&p=2084120#p2084120 But it could be faulty, it just went to market here too.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

MSB wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 am Sure

scanimage -L
device `airscan:w1:EPSON ET-2810 Series' is a WSD EPSON ET-2810 Series ip=192.168.1.52

airscan-discover
[devices]
  EPSON ET-2810 Series = http://192.168.1.52:80/WDP/SCAN, WSD
Scanner works :D
Many thanks for doing that. One final thing: would you confirm scanning works with

simple-scan "airscan:w1:EPSON ET-2810 Series"
Firmware that is available is up-to-date btw. Was one of the possible solutions given here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=359662&p=2084120#p2084120 But it could be faulty, it just went to market here too.
The scanning protocol is WSD and not with uscan (the eSCL protocol), which, as we have seen, is not provied by the device. That will not please mobile phone users.
--
Brian.
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MSB »

Starting 'Document Scanner' and it sees the WSD Epson and works fine.

First time I used the command it failed in the program, second time it did scan fine but I got a terminal output 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'
Third time no error but it keeps scanning and scanning and scanning forever lol

Edit:
Tested the 'Epson Smart Panel' app on my android phone and can print and scan

Return to “Printers & Scanners”