beginners driver for hp p 1102w

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

beginners driver for hp p 1102w

Post by robertdwhite »

I am new to the mint community though not to computers so please speak in beginners terms or expect follow up to you childish questions . Thank you for understanding. I have installed mint 20.1 and done all updates in an inspirion 15 7548. I have read and done all of the purported fixes I ve found available on the net. My computer still does not show the 1102 available either wireless or when usb connected. I installed the 1102 available thru cups but when run I get a hplip error. The answer, I understand may be that it is not possible, but I had to give it one more try. I do love my little 1102. Thank you for considering my problem and any assistance you can offer.
Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: beginners driver for hp p 1102w

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Rob;

welcome to the forum
1102.png
HP would say this device needs a plug-in; https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... anguage=it

Its name there is "HP LaserJet Professional p1102 Printer"

we have evolved into a driverless era, where hplip is often not needed; but I suspect the plug-in is still needed;

if you try

Code: Select all

hp-plug-in
in a terminal; I wonder if that alone will get the system to reach out and get the appropriate plug-in needed; for the version of hplip that Mint has already installed; the page says your printer needs 3.12 at least; the latest version is up to 3.20 so you don't need to install any absolutely new version;

there is another thread ongoing; very close to yours; where someone attempted to download the needed plugin; and they reported the page was temporarily not available; so we can only hope the above command will work

can you tell us what you get as an error please
I installed the 1102 available thru cups but when run I get a hplip error.
Last edited by pdc_2 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

OK. Thank you so much I downloaded the fine now where do I put it and what is the command to run it? Sorry to be so new I promise I will learn fast. I downloaded the debian .run was that correct?
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

I downloaded the hplip 3.21.10.run to my desktop tried to open it with gdebi package installer. It asked me if I wanted to read it or run it Isaid run it and it just went away nothing else happened? I went to look for something new in printers and no joy.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I hadn't planned on your trying to install the latest version of hplip; that seems to be what you went off to do;

I was trying to suggest you would only need the plug-in; did you run the command I suggested: (you open a terminal: the black tv screen 2 in from the Menu icon)

you copy the command and paste it into the terminal (right-click at the flashing light in the terminal and select PASTE ..)

I was just keen you see if that command works by itself; (to download the plug-in) otherwise there is more reading needed

hp-plugin
I have gone back and added emphasis to my earlier post: have another read through it
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

Yes the hp-plug-in did not work. Running the HP-plugin gets an error message saying the downloaded file is corrupted the checksum does not match. I have run the hp-plugin before and each time got the same error message. The entire hplip however appeared to run faultlessly.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

Yes the hp-plug-in did not work. Running the HP-plugin gets an error message saying the downloaded file is corrupted the checksum does not match. I have run the hp-plugin before and each time got the same error message. The entire hplip however appeared to run faultlessly.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

apologize for double post . Not sure how I did that.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

I have the same printer and it does need a plug in.
Download the HPlip and the Hplip-gui from the repository and then in your menu find HP Toolbox, and then start the program. Try to print a test page and it will say that it needs a plug in and offers to download it for you. Let it do that and then try and print a test page. I do NOT have the Hplip plug in installed.

works for me on every Mint I have installed.

Best regards Keith
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

You will be much better off using a wireless connection with this device. HPLIP and a plugin are also unneeded. Read viewtopic.php?t=298529.
--
Brian.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

I have the latest hplip and gui installed when I t to download gete plug in via he hp plugin command above I get the checksum error. When in the gUI I never see the printer so can not select it o get the offer to download the plugin. Catch 22?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Robert; so brian says your printer is airprint-compatible; so it should not need hplip;

so if you paste or type this command into a terminal;

driverless
please copy what you get; back here please;

.. eg for our system, I get
ipp://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%20MFP%20M283fdw%20(F953D6C)._ipp._tcp.local/
.. that we will call the URI .........

so brian suggests using the code

lpadmin -p 1102w -v URI -E -m everywhere
so entering our URI; into the code but using the printer number of 1102w as that is what you have; the line would look like
lpadmin -p 1102w -v ipp://HP%20Color%20LaserJet%20MFP%20M283fdw%20(F953D6C)._ipp._tcp.local -E -m everywhere
the hope is by pasting the line; with YOUR URI paste in there; into a terminal; should set up the printer;

but you would need to connect it wirelessly first to your network;
opjose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opjose »

That is incorrect.

Like most 12xx and 11xx series printers the 1102w is "host based".

That means it has no internal intelligence, nor a page image buffer, nor language interpreter. You cannot "Airprint" to it.

https://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pres ... .30.10.pdf

How Host Based Printing Works: https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term ... d-printing

The only thing that can make that printer work is the HPdriver which uses your computer to provide the "smarts" for the 1102w. Without that driver the printer is a paperweight.

Basically these printers are very low cost entry level devices with tiny toner cartridges that will cost you many times the cost of the printer in short order.

Consider a printer that provides an actual PCL or Postscript interpreter.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

Wow seems some disagreement.but when I ran t he command o find it i found only my epson. By he way how o I copy from he terminal. I warned I am a newbie to this.I do however love my 1102 an have tones of cartriges so want to get it online.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

opjose wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:51 pm That is incorrect.
pdc2's advice (and mine) is sound. robertdwhite would be wise to take note of it.
Like most 12xx and 11xx series printers the 1102w is "host based".

That means it has no internal intelligence, nor a page image buffer, nor language interpreter. You cannot "Airprint" to it.

https://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pres ... .30.10.pdf
Two pieces of evidence to counter that:
At the second link we see
URF=CP1,IS1,OB10,PQ3-4-5,RS600,W8,MT1-2-3-4-5-6
This indicates the printer does AirPrint via mdns multicasting (Bonjour). We also see
pdl=image/urf,application/PCLm
image/urf is an AirPrint requirement.
How Host Based Printing Works: https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term ... d-printing

The only thing that can make that printer work is the HPdriver which uses your computer to provide the "smarts" for the 1102w. Without that driver the printer is a paperweight.
Paperweight? You appear to be neglecting the evidence at viewtopic.php?t=298529.
--
Brian.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

but when I ran t he command o find it i found only my epson.
but had you set up the printer, so it would talk to the router

the commands

sudo lpinfo -v
and

lpstat -t
would help tell that
opjose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opjose »

brian_p wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm Two pieces of evidence to counter that:
And HP says you are incorrect....

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01999607
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

opjose wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:26 am
brian_p wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm Two pieces of evidence to counter that:
And HP says you are incorrect....

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01999607
At the first link HP says the 1102w is AirPrint-capable, At the second link it makes no such claim. Perhaps HP should get its act together.

Or perhaps HP should study the data you appear to be reluctant to acknowledge and comment on - viewtopic.php?t=298529
--
Brian.
robertdwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertdwhite »

Wow this is a more complex problem than I anticipated. As the computer I was experimenting on has died it will bee a bit before I return to this process. In the interim I am going to return to the original goal of getting the 1102 to work. To this end I will reinstall ubuntu 18.04 I know that worked. I appreciate all the advice and what I learned here. I still ask how you copy lines from the terminal and look forward to building my next machine and continuing this treck to find how to get the machine to work in the newer versions of mint.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”