Setting up HP OfficeJet 5230 Printer SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Setting up HP OfficeJet 5230 Printer SOLVED

Post by Stormdrainer »

I am running Linux Mint 20.2, which I have newly installed on a computer that was using Windows 10, but I cannot get the printer to work. I have read the instructions available online and seen a few videos. I have followed the instructions but the printer will still not work. I have installed HPLIP-gui and HPLIP-plugin.
When I try to print a test page it works, but it will not print emailsetc. The page comes up where I try to tell it to print but nothing happens. I have also noticed that the colour setting only seems to allow black and while. Is it possible to print in colour? Any help gratefully received.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Setting up HP OfficeJet 5230 Printer

Post by pdc_2 »

so in linux printing Stormdrainer; the move has been towards "driverless" printing: in the way that folks can print from phones directly to a printer;

so you have used the traditional way: drivers;

if you open the PRINTERS folder; there is an ADD button top-left; if you click on that; and see if your system identifies your printer; it should set up a new printer config for you: do identify and remember the name chosen for this; as you may have others already in your PRINTERS folder;

it is only on your computer, so is fine; if you go to administration; and add printer; (enter your username and password if asked)

again, as in the above, you can follow through and see what the system offers;
_________________________-
in both of the above options, it will likely not be using hplip at all;

you can check the commands

Code: Select all

lpstat -t
and

Code: Select all

sudo lpinfo -v
from a terminal; (the black tv screen bottom left) and copy and paste the results back here
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Setting up HP OfficeJet 5230 Printer

Post by Stormdrainer »

Thank you for your reply. It's sorted now.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Setting up HP OfficeJet 5230 Printer SOLVED

Post by pdc_2 »

well done;

can you tell us what worked; so others may see; all best wishes
Stormdrainer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Setting up HP OfficeJet 5230 Printer SOLVED

Post by Stormdrainer »

I added the printer and used what I think was a generic setting for a CUPS printer, which seem to work.

The only problem is that when I tried to use HPLIP, it could not detect an HP printer which mine is. Maybe mine is not supported. HPOfficeJet5230. Operating system is Linux Mint 21. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”