Anyone having problems with cups 2.4.0 printing?[SOLVED]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Anyone having problems with cups 2.4.0 printing?[SOLVED]

Post by Reddog1 »

I'm having a devil of a time with printing from an Arch system using cups 2.4.0 to a remote (cable connected) Mint 20 system with a usb Laserjet attached. With Arch, using cups or using the gui the printer is easily found on the network so that I can choose it, and install the HP driver for it so that all looks good, but when I attempt to print from the Arch system I get the message that the printer is not found and that the printer may not be connected. It's definitely shown in cups under the Printers tab and as accepting jobs. I can print to this printer from other remote machines (both Linux and Windows), but not the Arch machine. The other Linux machines all use cups 3.1.x, so I'm beginning to think that something has changed in cups. It appears that cups 2.4 is using dnssd, and appending it to the beginning of the printer location, which 3.1 doesn't appear to do.

I'm hoping one of you printing guru's can help me with this.

Edit: O.K. I figured this out, it is an Arch thing. I had to edit a file, /etc/nsswitch.conf and edit the host line and add 'mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return]' before the resolve. Then I edited the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file and added my username to the section beginning with '# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
Printing works
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Chat about Linux”