Who to request optioning out of installing printers via CUPS in Linux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Who to request optioning out of installing printers via CUPS in Linux

Post by wpshooter »

To whom would I make a request that a choice to opt out of (forego) the automatic installing of detected printers via CUPS on a Linux Mint OS computer, so that the user could INSTEAD use the installation procedures as given by the manufacturer of the particular brand & model of printer, in my particular case Brother ? As of right now Linux Mint CUPS gives the user NO option to forego the printer install when it is detected by the OS.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Who to request optioning out of installing printers via CUPS in Linux

Post by Termy »

Can you not uninstall the 'printer-driver-*' packages and CUPS which come preinstalled?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I usually have numerous Brother printers for various tasks including Brother Inkjets set up for Dye Sublimation.

The big problem 'used to be' getting Brother printers recognised, then Brother put together a wonderful set of drivers, and a few years ago, a 'Drive Install Tool' that is brilliant.

The Auto-detection of printers is something most of us dreamed of for years, and with 'ipp everywhere' it has come to where a printer will be often automatically configured for 'basic operation' even if it is only connected by WiFi.

However some of us need to fine tune various options, like the percentage of Cyan, Magenta and Yellow ink that passes through (mainly for Dye Sub inks printing shirts and mugs).

Obviously brother can't predict that some weirdo is going to pump Dye Sublimation Ink through their mechanical marvel, so the printer is set up with just the bare essentials as Defaults.
For us, the logical thing is to just install a New Instance of the printer either downloading the Drivers, and Cups Wrapper, or by using the Install Tool (easier).

Then we just delete the unwanted ipp everywhere driver (orsometimes it is just driverless).

It is unlikely something as useful as auto-detect and basic setup would be popular after we begged for it for the last 15 years.

Luckily Cups has easy options to remove such printers if you need to do a manual install, like I do - with a couple of clicks and a password.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Try

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl stop cups-browsed
sudo systemctl disable cups-browsed
I normally find a quick reboot helps after that.

Reverse with

sudo systemctl enable cups-browsed
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

bin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:00 am Try

Reverse with

Thanks, I will try that the next time I need to setup a machine with a printer to be connected to it.
Alternately, I believe that I could just go into synaptic and uninstall all instances of CUPS before the printer is connected, is that correct ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

wpshooter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:04 am
bin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:00 am Try

Reverse with

Thanks, I will try that the next time I need to setup a machine with a printer to be connected to it.
Alternately, I believe that I could just go into synaptic and uninstall all instances of CUPS before the printer is connected, is that correct ?

Thanks.
Not sure about the state of driverless printing with MINT at the moment. That's why I would just kill off the service and then install using the relevant Brother driver. I see some do support driverless and some don't.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”