HP 9010 All-In One Printer/Scanner Issue

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chilehead
Level 1
Level 1

HP 9010 All-In One Printer/Scanner Issue

Post by chilehead »

Hi
I recently installed Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on an 2013 Toshiba Satellite laptop I was not using. Almost everything is working well. The issue is with my HP 9010 all-in -one printer/scanner. The document feeder is not working correctly. When I try to scan using the document feeder, I can hear the feed rollers fire up and start working, but the document does not feed. It seems that all of the rollers except for those at the input end are functioning.
I am relatively new to Linux and am still learning, so if you need to see a terminal screenshot for troubleshooting, please give me the exact procedure and commands I would need to use to produce that.
If there is more information you would need to know about my computer or printer, please let me know.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HP 9010 All-In One Printer/Scanner Issue

Post by pdc_2 »

It seems that all of the rollers except for those at the input end are functioning.
can you scan by placing a single sheet on the clear plate on top of the device?
chilehead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chilehead »

Yes, single sheet scanning works. It is just the document feeder that is not functioning correctly.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

in the midst of this long, long thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=373530 there was discussion about automatic feed; perhaps you can find something of interest? Which programme do you use for scanning?
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Don't know just a thought, does your device require separate printer driver and scanner driver? My Canon TR4550 needs a .deb printer driver (cnijfilter2) and a separate .deb scanner driver (scangearmp2) in order to function correctly. Sorry if I am misleading or mis-assuming.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

dave1953 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 am Don't know just a thought, does your device require separate printer driver and scanner driver? My
All MFPs require separate printer and scanner drivers.
Canon TR4550 needs a .deb printer driver (cnijfilter2) and a separate .deb scanner driver (scangearmp2) in order to function correctly. Sorry if I am misleading or mis-assuming.
Misleading? Not intentionally, I'm sure.

Mis-assuming? Most definitely, but you are not alone in thinking that modern devices are dependent on vendor drivers. The Mint printing and scanning framework is designed not to use them.
--
Brian.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

All MFPs require separate printer and scanner drivers

Didn't know that, I've never had one before but was forced into buying one because I needed a colour printer and couldn't find one at a sensible price. All there was available were these printer/scanners. Thanks for pointing that out.

Really don't understand your point about Mint being designed not to use printer drivers, sorry. Without drivers how would printers print anything?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

dave1953 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:11 am
Really don't understand your point about Mint being designed not to use printer drivers, sorry. Without drivers how would printers print anything?
Note that I said vendor drivers. These are usually specific to the device. I could use your printer (or any other modern printer) without installing them. Immediate access to a device on USB and wireless. Just like plugging in a mouse :D.

Perhaps the first few sections here and here clarify the issue.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

chilehead wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am Hi
I recently installed Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on an 2013 Toshiba Satellite laptop I was not using. Almost everything is working well. The issue is with my HP 9010 all-in -one printer/scanner. The document feeder is not working correctly. When I try to scan using the document feeder, I can hear the feed rollers fire up and start working, but the document does not feed. It seems that all of the rollers except for those at the input end are functioning.
Let's assume this is not a mechanical problem. Is the device connected by USB?
--
Brian.
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Thanks for the clarification. I've always loaded vendor drivers not knowing an alternative. To be fair my ancient Ricoh SP-211 mono laser needs a jury rigged (SP-221) driver file and an additional filter before it will function in Linux. However on checking my Canon TR4550 is recent enough that it did have an option for "driverless printing " but I never noticed it being used to installing Canon drivers for it. Interesting and enlightening, thanks.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

dave1953 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:53 pm Thanks for the clarification. I've always loaded vendor drivers not knowing an alternative.
Vendor drivers will cease to be supported by CUPS in a couple of years.
To be fair my ancient Ricoh SP-211 mono laser needs a jury rigged (SP-221) driver file and an additional filter before it will function in Linux.
If Ricoh adapts to CUPS' changes, you might be OK.
However on checking my Canon TR4550 is recent enough that it did have an option for "driverless printing " but I never noticed it being used to installing Canon drivers for it. Interesting and enlightening, thanks.
I imagine you are using USB. Driverless printing with USB on Mint 20.x is not a feature. It will be on Mint 21.x. Then you will notice.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”